Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Clough sacked at Derby

Feb 14, 2010
You cant live off your dad's achievements. He has had a few years at Derby and they have not come close top promotion and Derby are a club with gates just a bit smaller than us. If they had a good side they would get 30,000 every week. "Our number 9" was a player ahead of his time as a player but has not pulled up trees (yet) in management. Having said that, I think he will be a good manager one day and when Oscar goes, I wouldn't mind him being our manager

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That's football I wonder what would of happened if they hadnt of lost to that nasty little weasel Davis and his team of FFP rule breakers

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Insane.

Gus to Derby ?

'sideways move' ???

How high is their ceiling ? :lolol:

Last edited:

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Have they actually spent any money? I am shocked at this sacking. Silk purse and sow's ear spring to mind

They have spent a bit this year. Derby have a plan to get promoted in the next few years, and they clearly felt Nigel wasn't the man to do it.
But then there would be a very short list of teams in the championship without a plan to get promoted. Can only think of Yeovil, Birmingham, Barnsley etc.

He isn't a huge personality which seems to be a prerequisite for managers these days. Got a lot of time for Nigel.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You cant live off your dad's achievements. He has had a few years at Derby and they have not come close top promotion and Derby are a club with gates just a bit smaller than us. If they had a good side they would get 30,000 every week. "Our number 9" was a player ahead of his time as a player but has not pulled up trees (yet) in management. Having said that, I think he will be a good manager one day and when Oscar goes, I wouldn't mind him being our manager

I don't think he was living off his dad's achievements. He's brought stability to the club on the field which, when you look at some of the other big clubs like Sheff Wed, Leeds, Birmingham is no mean feat. He's brought on Hughes, so there is a way they could improve the overall squad, but you look at their losses and declining income and you wonder how they'll compete.

I think big crowds and past glories have created expectations in the board room that cannot be matched on the pitch.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I don't think he was living off his dad's achievements. He's brought stability to the club on the field which, when you look at some of the other big clubs like Sheff Wed, Leeds, Birmingham is no mean feat. He's brought on Hughes, so there is a way they could improve the overall squad, but you look at their losses and declining income and you wonder how they'll compete.

I think big crowds and past glories have created expectations in the board room that cannot be matched on the pitch.

He's done an amazing job in bringing through academy players - Hughes, Hendrick, O'Brien, Bennett to name just a few, all of which are now full of age group internationals. And the frustration for some fans with the board is that income isn't declining, but the playing budget is, so I entirely agree with you about boardroom expectations.

nffc1976

Mar 19, 2013
That's football I wonder what would of happened if they hadnt of lost to that nasty little weasel Davis and his team of FFP rule breakers

I dont think this was based wholly on yesterdays result. also selling Guedioura to Palace/combined with owners shirt sponsorship, should help keep us in line with FFP.

As for Derby, I think there are many Forest fans who feel sorry for Nigel. like many have mentioned he was doing a solid job with limited resources.

not sure he'd ever come back to Forest though, too much has happened during the intervening years (but you can never say never)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont think this was based wholly on yesterdays result. also selling Guedioura to Palace/combined with owners shirt sponsorship, should help keep us in line with FFP.

As for Derby, I think there are many Forest fans who feel sorry for Nigel. like many have mentioned he was doing a solid job with limited resources.

not sure he'd ever come back to Forest though, too much has happened during the intervening years (but you can never say never)

Are you blind? It is most obvious to everybody that you are totally ignoring the FFP and using a ' owners shirt sponsorship' to circumvent the FFP and allow the most despicable manager in football the opportunity to take you into the Premier.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
how many you bringing sat nffc,shirley youve soldout?

nffc1976

Mar 19, 2013
Are you blind? It is most obvious to everybody that you are totally ignoring the FFP and using a ' owners shirt sponsorship' to circumvent the FFP and allow the most despicable manager in football the opportunity to take you into the Premier.

No I'm pretty sure im not blind. i can see things are looking great at the moment, after the monumental pile of cr@p we've had to endure over the last 15 years, i'd say things are going very well indeed.

nffc1976

Mar 19, 2013
how many you bringing sat nffc,shirley youve soldout?

dont think anyones been focussed on anything other than the Derby game, so no idea what we've sold. also away at Charlton on Tuesday, so 2 longish away trips in succession will bring attendance down a bit im sure.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No I'm pretty sure im not blind. i can see things are looking great at the moment, after the monumental pile of cr@p we've had to endure over the last 15 years, i'd say things are going very well indeed.

Through totally ignoring the FFP. I hope that if you are promoted the FL have the balls to fine you the same as you would make, quite a few million, then distribute it to clubs that have stuck to the rules in all divisions.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So Schteve McLaren is lined up for Derby.

Sounds laughable to me. Not because he made an idiot of himself for England, but since winning the title in the Netherlands, he was an absolute disaster at FOREST of all places.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Nigel Clough is a football man through and through. Became player manager of Burton Albion when they were in the Southern League Premier, then when they were moved to the Northern Prem he won that, and when he left in April 2009, they were 19 pts clear at the top of the Conference which they went onto win, plus he also managed that 0-0 FA cup tie against MU.

He spent 11 seasons working within a club and taking them from a typical non-league side to a professional set up.

He got the Derby job on merit, and think he has gone well past living off his dad's achievements to be honest.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Dutch Steve won't do well with Derby. A club who believe they are huge and should be competing for the top 6 with a midtable budget. I genuinely hope they struggle to stay up this season now.

nffc1976

Mar 19, 2013
Through totally ignoring the FFP. I hope that if you are promoted the FL have the balls to fine you the same as you would make, quite a few million, then distribute it to clubs that have stuck to the rules in all divisions.

we've built an entire team over the last 2 seasons that cost us roughly the same as Leicester paid for Matt Mills!

we got Lansbury for 1million (Which is looking fantastic business). the only transfer i think we've paid over the odds was in getting Wilson back from Celtic.

we've sold Gunter for almost 3million not so long back, and sold Guedioura to Palace for a 1.5million profit.

We've sold TV rights to The Middle East with Al Jazeera, who knows how much revenue that is bringing in?

However i have to agree if we had gone and spent 4milion on Bakary Sako,that would of been bonkers, and there is no way we could of adhered to the FFP rules.
I'm glad that deals fallen through, the only way to revive it would be to offer them a multitude of our misfiring strikers and much less cash. (Ishmael Miller,Dexter Blackstock, Marcus Tudgay, Matt Derbyshire) etc

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
we've built an entire team over the last 2 seasons that cost us roughly the same as Leicester paid for Matt Mills!

we got Lansbury for 1million (Which is looking fantastic business). the only transfer i think we've paid over the odds was in getting Wilson back from Celtic.

we've sold Gunter for almost 3million not so long back, and sold Guedioura to Palace for a 1.5million profit.

We've sold TV rights to The Middle East with Al Jazeera, who knows how much revenue that is bringing in?

However i have to agree if we had gone and spent 4milion on Bakary Sako,that would of been bonkers, and there is no way we could of adhered to the FFP rules.
I'm glad that deals fallen through, the only way to revive it would be to offer them a multitude of our misfiring strikers and much less cash. (Ishmael Miller,Dexter Blackstock, Marcus Tudgay, Matt Derbyshire) etc

I used to love Forest, have to be honest it is difficult to do so with Davies in charge though.

I thought the side yesterday reminded me of Wimbledon, although not to the same extreme. Very physical, very muscular, take no prisoners, BUT...............get results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here