Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Clough sacked at Derby

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Terrible decision.

Derby have spent very little and stayed in the top half of the Championship for most of Clough's tenure.

Play good football too.

Hope Derby regret this move for a long time.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree he will soon be appointed elsewhere but don't understimate the stupidity of chairmen these days.

Stupidity, or desperation? Clough has always struck me as a decent manager and within the parameters he has to operate seems to have done okay. I hope he finds something better.

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
The board feel it is time to move Derby County forward to the next level

'Thought they'd had a decent start this year, a couple of poor results but nothing sack-worthy. They don't have the budget of a team fighting it out at the top so why the board feel entitled to be there, and how they think sacking the manager will help god only knows. Unless it's something behind the scenes at Derby its a very odd decision, mind you I guess everyone else said the same thing about us when Gus went.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not had a lot of money and brought through some good kids . Look to of progressed very slowly but all the same progress .

Careful what you wish for derby

Strange one

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Very, very harsh. He's done really well there in difficult circumstances, he took over the club when they were in a complete mess after the disaster that is Paul Jewell.

Hope he gets another job soon and proves the Derby board wrong.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Stupidity, or desperation? Clough has always struck me as a decent manager and within the parameters he has to operate seems to have done okay. I hope he finds something better.

They weren't in any need to be desperate in my view. They either have money or they don't and they don't. What they had as you rightly say was a decent manager clearly willing to work within the parameters he had to operate. How they think they will go to the next level is a mystery. They don't have the money. Clough will land on his feet very quickly. He worked us out to a tee earlier this season.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
No great surprise. Destined for another mid table season at best and Nigel is not his dad is he?

Yes, it is a surprise. Before today, they had the best away record in the division. They lost narrowly to the league's best home side. Really stunned by this sacking. Clough was always a long-term plan for them. Very strange.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
No idea what they are thinking. They've got a middle of the road squad and they sit middle of the table. Maybe they're getting carried away by the media hype around Hughes?

Never really liked Clough jnr but he was good for them and feel an element of sympathy.

Good luck Pulis, your style should walk L1

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm gutted tbh, I wanted a Derby boy to succeed at Derby but was not to be. That said, things had stagnated, something needed to change, we'd got boring, and I'd rather Derby were div 3 and sh*t than boring....

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'm gutted tbh, I wanted a Derby boy to succeed at Derby but was not to be. That said, things had stagnated, something needed to change, we'd got boring, and I'd rather Derby were div 3 and sh*t than boring....

If I were you, I'd be very careful what I wish for tbh.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Probably something happening in the back ground because it cant be down to results or performances this season. He will soon be appointed by another club and some chairman will be looking at the news thinking I wonder if we could get him if we sacked our manager, like Sheff Utd?

Notts County ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Probably something happening in the back ground because it cant be down to results or performances this season. He will soon be appointed by another club and some chairman will be looking at the news thinking I wonder if we could get him if we sacked our manager, like Sheff Utd?

David Weir is a dead man walking, surely?

They've lost seven out of his first ten matches in charge. I'm not saying he, necessarily, deserves the sack, but they must be wanting to get back in to the Championship after a ongoing hiatus.

I'm not surprised by Clough's dismissal. He's done a fine job, but they have floated about in the same position for a while now. The natives will be getting restless.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Barrel of Fun;5960572 I'm not surprised by Clough's dismissal. He's done a fine job said:
Have they actually spent any money? I am shocked at this sacking. Silk purse and sow's ear spring to mind

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Dougie lives to fight another day , had Bolton not equalised late on against Yeovil he would have been odds on for the bullet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here