Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NFL season 2012

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Rumours about Peyton Mannings shoulder healing so slowly he'll miss regular games will gain a lot of credibility now they have signed a decent back-up for once. Todd Collins is a mile better than any back-up I can remember the Colts signing.

I reckon that means they will be without Peyton for a least the first 2 games of the season. I think they are going to be a team on a major slide this year, and could the year they finally miss out of post season.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Bears release Gholston. That lasted long.

I guess they looked at a 6th overall pick, and couldn't believe he's the bust he is.

He's worth a look, but if he can't make the first roster cut, then he really is a long way off where his potential should have had him.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
In other news, Madden NFL 12 is out on Friday. HELL YES. :clap:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Titans have cut Garrard! Now that is a shock. McCown and Gabbert.

In other news, I'm equally shocked that Skys NFL coverage will no longer feature Nick Halling!! Neil Reynolds is stepping into his shoes. I like Neil, but I'm gonna really miss Nick, I think he's excellent.

goodoldsussexbythesea

North Stand STH
Sep 2, 2011
Westdene
Not a massive watcher of NFL but kind of 'support' the dolphins, and hoping to get to a game next month vs Bronco's, if anyone could drop me a PM with a bit more about the game and who is good and which players to watch I would appreciate it, as I would like to understand the game better :)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not a massive watcher of NFL but kind of 'support' the dolphins, and hoping to get to a game next month vs Bronco's, if anyone could drop me a PM with a bit more about the game and who is good and which players to watch I would appreciate it, as I would like to understand the game better :)

Just keep an eye on this thread and I'm sure you'll get a few pointers.

Dolphins eh? You could be in for a tough season with them. Henne (QB) has shown flashes of ability the last couple of years, but not enough really, and he's not helped by just the one quality target in Marshall. The run game has been keeping them in games with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, but both were Free Agents this off season, and the Dolphins chose not to make moves to keep either. So the drafted Daniel Thomas, and then picked up Reggie Bush from the Saints.

Now Bush was supposed to be HUGE when he came out of college, but he's just never produced what he should have done. Too keen to bounce to the outside, rather than put his shoulder down and take a couple of tough yards between the tackles. Plus, he just keeps getting injured. Has great hands though, and will take passes out of the backfield or lining up in the slot, and if he can get the ball with room to run, he is fast and elusive. But for me he doesn't do enough. So, Daniel Thomas was supposed to be the big thing, carry the run game with Bush being the compliment, but Thomas has disappointed in pre-season, averaging under 3 yards a carry, and the starting job is with Bush. that isn't good in my book.

Henne is the man to watch, as hooking up with Marshall and Davone Bess looks to be the best chance for the Dolphins, but don't go expecting too much from them. Sorry.

Detroit. They are the exciting team to keep an eye on for me. Not the best team, and don't go putting your hard earned cash on them, but they are the team on the rise. Weapons galore on offense, with Stafford at QB, who is supremely talented, but to date has been too injury-prone to show it, but if he stays healthy this year, wow, watch them go. Calvin Johnson at WR is one of the best around, with the under-rated Nate Burleson on the other flank. Brandon Pettigrew (TE) and Jahvid Best (RB) have been a bit like Stafford for me, in that when they've been fit, I've really liked what I've seen, but they just need to be fit. I also have a sneaking feeling for Jerome Harrison as one of the back-up RBs on their roster. He had a superb season a couple of years ago for a very moderate Browns team, then got traded to the Eagles, where he just sat there behind McCoy all of last season. If he gets a look-in in Detroit, then any sign of the Harrison we saw in 2009 and he'll light it up.

I'm not one who gets excited by watching defences, but the Lions wow, just watch Suh go!! Now, there are better teams, much better teams than the Lions right now, but if they stay healthy, I think you'd enjoy watching them rise.

goodoldsussexbythesea

North Stand STH
Sep 2, 2011
Westdene
Cheers for that Gritt23 helped me gain a little bit of knowledge, and I will be watching quite a few games online this season, because it is a good sport to watch, and hopefully in time I will learn about the players to watch, I know a couple of players, but I don't know many, so hopefully I will learn more about the game & players, p.s I know Miami Dolphins are shyte lol, don't really know why I chose them as a team but it was the first place I visited in the USA and it was also the first American Football shirt I owned, and once you've picked your team you stay with them I guess haha.

I will be looking forward to the coming season and hopefully if people use this thread to chat about games I will find out alot more.

One last thing I need help understanding is the league system, as I understand it there is 8 (?) leagues (not sure how they choose which teams go into which leagues) 4 leagues built up of 4 southern teams each, and 4 leagues built up of 4 northern teams each and then the winners of each leagues play each other so, theres 8 teams, then there is a game between for the winners of group A v winners of group B, and winners of group C v winners of group D, then say A and C win, they will face eachother, and the winner is put into the Super Bowl, and the same happens with the 4 winners of the 4 northern leagues then they face eachother and then the winners of the final game win the superbowl.

I have tried my best to help you understand this, but sorry if you don't, as I said earlier, I'm no expert, so I'm probably wrong, this is just how I sort of 'assumed' it would be. Cheers for taking the time to write your reply aswell, much appreciated :)

goodoldsussexbythesea

North Stand STH
Sep 2, 2011
Westdene
Broady, the first game is being played on the 8th of September (New Orleans at Green Bay), then most of Week 1 is being played on the 11th, with the 2 final games being played on the 12th.

I would post the fixture list, but I haven't done 25 posts yet so I can't post links, but Google 'NFL Schedule' and it should come up :)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
One last thing I need help understanding is the league system, as I understand it there is 8 (?) leagues (not sure how they choose which teams go into which leagues) 4 leagues built up of 4 southern teams each, and 4 leagues built up of 4 northern teams each and then the winners of each leagues play each other so, theres 8 teams, then there is a game between for the winners of group A v winners of group B, and winners of group C v winners of group D, then say A and C win, they will face eachother, and the winner is put into the Super Bowl, and the same happens with the 4 winners of the 4 northern leagues then they face eachother and then the winners of the final game win the superbowl.

Close. 8 divisions, 4 in the AFC, and 4 in the NFC, and the teams are roughly split by a combination of history and geography.
Each team plays 16 games, which incl the other teams in their division home and away.

12 teams qualify for the play-offs, 6 from AFC and 6 from the NFC. Those 2 conferences are effectively the two different halves of the draw in the play-offs.

The 4 divisional winners in each division of the AFC qualify (this is replicated in the NFC), plus the 2 teams with teh next best record. These 6 are seeded according to their record, and the top 2 seeds get a first week bye in the play-offs.
The other 4 teams play each other in the "Wild Card" round of games. The 2 winners then play the 1 and 2 seeds in the "Divisional" games. The winners then play in the "Championship" game, which effective crowns the Conference Champion of the AFC (and likewise the NFC).

Then the winners of the AFC play the winners of the NFC in the Superbowl.

What I love is just how level a playing field the NFL is. Between 2008-10 (3 seasons) there were 12 different teams play in the Championship games, so that is a completely different "Top 4" if you like over those 3 years. No-one made two appearances. Compare that to how fluid the "Top 4" is in the Premiership. Wow.

goodoldsussexbythesea

North Stand STH
Sep 2, 2011
Westdene
Thank you for the explanation, I think I get it now, the NFL is like the Championship, it isn't just dominated by a couple of teams, every team has a chance of doing well, like Blackpool a couple of seasons ago, Norwich last season and (hopefully) Brighton this season :albion2:

p.s I know the NFL kicks off tomorrow, but what time (GMT) will it kick off? I'll give it a watch if it isn't during school time :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't forget, five live loves a bit of NFL action, on Sunday evenings.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Im a Bears fan and have been since the Peyton (RIP) and Fridge days, not sure this season is going to being me much joy, but have minor hopes of reaching wide card status come season end, Pre Season has been mixed but tipping to the "going to struggle side". Played for Crawley Raiders when I was 17 (touch football, basically all the pads but not the shoulder or helmet, but just as rough) and really enjoyed it, still have my kit now (20 years later) and still in contact with my old coach and some players, my coach went onto coach GB (one of) and his son has presented them many a time. I was introduced to it by a QB who played a very good standard in the 80's a guy called Ian Ure, not sure what happened to him, but a terrific passer of the ball

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I am a Dallas fan and cannot wait for the late Sunday game on channel 4 this week! The only way Dallas will be a winning team this year is to protect romo!

I think we are in the hardest to pick division and as such it should be exciting, but potentially heart breaking for me!

I must disagree with the comment above about bush I still think he is one of the best players in the league and is a franchise player for me!

I think the first game of week 1 will give us a good idea for the superbowl winners, I don't think there has ever been an opening game which is so important, just like the college game last week, I think it will he close but the cheese heads should just win it

Jul 7, 2003
Titans have cut Garrard! Now that is a shock. McCown and Gabbert.

In other news, I'm equally shocked that Skys NFL coverage will no longer feature Nick Halling!! Neil Reynolds is stepping into his shoes. I like Neil, but I'm gonna really miss Nick, I think he's excellent.

Suprised by the timing of the Garrard decision - this really will be a make or break call for Del Rio as he must be getting close to being 'released' himself. Maybe they should try and tempt the Broncos to let them have Tebow as he now looks like third choice in Denver. It would certainly please the locals and add a few thousand ticket sales in the process.

As for Nick Halling I hadn't spotted this one. I quite like Nick (despite him being a Southampton fan) but I know of others who had grown tired of the cosy Halling /Cadle double act. It will be interesting to see where he shows up next.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here