NFL season 2012

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jul 7, 2003
Watching RedZone on Sky and quite enjoying the mix of action. Five turnovers for Big Ben now so the nightmare continues. Good to see the Chiefs getting spanked by the Bills.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Hats off to Cam Newton, what a superb set of numbers he's putting up for his NFL debut.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I can't believe how well the Redskins have played in this game .... or is this just a case of seeing how badly beaten up the Giants are.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
American fotball on the radio is OK.......but really not the same :(

but....woohoo anyway :thumbsup:

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Hoping (but not believing) that the Dolphins can beat the Patriots tomorrow. Will be at the Dolphins Texans game next Sunday before heading home for Leeds, Palace and Ipswich...the Miami Segulls flag may make an appearance at each game!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Eeeeeeeaaaaaggggggguuuuuulllllllsssssssss

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
At the risk of being labelled ignorant, would it be possible for someone to just give me a brief summary of the key rules of the game?

I watched 10 mins or so of Baltimore/Pittsburgh yesterday and couldn't for the life of me figure out the mechanics of it.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
i'd quite happily give you a rundown of the rules to american football, but i really think the best thing is to watch a game from start to finish, or several games and learn that way.

i think the wikipedia article is fairly easy to understand:
American football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i do think it's something that when you watch it, while knowing the very basic background the whole game clicks into place. it's like a human game of chess.

it is well worth sticking with though - the reasons why they punt/run the clock down/hurry up/play a certain formation etc., will soon become very obvious.

anyway, back to the results.

irsay better be on the phone this morning looking for a qb. peyton leaves a huge gap - not just his footballing ability but his leadership and the way he motivates them. i haven't seen the whole game, just a few snippets but collins is no where near being close to the answer there. interesting times there, if they persist with the 'manning will come back' they are going to struggle to find a solid stand in for 8-10 games and anyone who does go there (palmer? but bengals hold his rights so not an easy option. or perhaps vince young?) for that will want a big pay day to do so. or if they don't believe manning will be back (and time line for his recovery keeps getting bumped, plus all those neck surgeries he has had) then they'll have to either accept this season as a dudd and get a long term (?) qb in next year. i don't know. i hope it's not the case but i really wonder if peyton has thrown his last ball. i was reading over the weekend that if he has had the cervical fusion they may not be able to get any insurance on him to play anyway.

anyway, going to be a long season for the colts.

solid start from da bears. :thumbsup: was able to watch the whole thing live. urlacher took a fumble back for a td, we sacked ryan five times and stopped them scoring an offensive td. good start.

caught most of the jets and cowboys game, romo is such a buffoon. sweet revenge for folk to kick 50 yards like that though. was a good game once the jets d woke up.

Jul 7, 2003
Season starts tonight for me with the Broncos hosting the Raiders. Surely it can't be as bad as the humiliating defeat we had last year? Will be interesting to see if the revamped D delivers the promise that was there in pre-season.

Got to be up early in the morning to get a flight from Heathrow so will probably catch some of the third or fourth quarter before I have to leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports