[Albion] Newcastle's slow ticket sales / new penalties for handing on tickets

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My mates has a pair of Arsenal STs, had them since the Emirates opened. He hasn’t been near the place for 10 years - he and his son have Albion STs now (got them last season). His Arsenal tickets are ‘sub let’ to someone else…….
I have a pal, lives probably 500+miles away from London, he sub-lets his two Emirates STs to a guy I know in Sussex. He's been doing it since the stadium opened, and he makes it to London for a handful of games a year with his kid.

My cousin, in the Wirral, uses her Dads ST at Anfield since Dad became incapacitated through ill health. She either goes herself with her mum who holds the other ticket, or with one of her sons. If she doesn't go, they get passed to one of her 3 boys who either go with Grandma, or with other mates (and indeed on one occasion the tickets were passed to me and the missus). As far as I know, there is nothing in place to stop this happening and it's been going on for 10+ years.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Although I think the 10 game ban is to harsh with so few tickets available clubs are doing right thing in trying to make sure tickets are going to right people. However good luck to anybody that is able to pass on a home ticket they have paid for which is usually for free so certainly not touting. Certainly round us more are doing this at no cost so certainly not touting.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not only can you pass your ticket on at West Ham if you can't attend you can put it on the fans forum site at face value

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have a pal, lives probably 500+miles away from London, he sub-lets his two Emirates STs to a guy I know in Sussex. He's been doing it since the stadium opened, and he makes it to London for a handful of games a year with his kid.

My cousin, in the Wirral, uses her Dads ST at Anfield since Dad became incapacitated through ill health. She either goes herself with her mum who holds the other ticket, or with one of her sons. If she doesn't go, they get passed to one of her 3 boys who either go with Grandma, or with other mates (and indeed on one occasion the tickets were passed to me and the missus). As far as I know, there is nothing in place to stop this happening and it's been going on for 10+ years.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
100% agree that rightly ticket touting is illegal . However passing a ticket on with agreement of the club is not illegal. That is what West Ham ST holders do in full agreement of the club

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
:facepalm:

Are you being deliberately dense? Want to pass your ticket to a friend (which you've already paid for)? OK, there's a fee of £20 quid to do it - oh, and your friend will have to be registered - that'll cost him £25..
No, no extra money for the club involved at all.....................
Why the insult?

This concerns away matches, specifically ID checks. It seems to me an attempt to distribute away tickets more fairly, reduce touting and stop people jumping the queue.

I don't know if they propose any way of changing the name on away tickets after purchase. Seems unlikely for away tickets, or single home matches tickets, to be honest. I don't think it's something we offer.

That would defeat the reason for ID checks in the first place, wouldn't it?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
No profit is being made by my mate and the Emirates tickets, he's basically keeping the seat 'warm' so as not to lose. it. For the Anfield tickets, there is no money changing hands at all, it's all in the family.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Haha, they like to break rules there. I remember going to the Derby once in the Goodison end, I lived there but a few friends were visiting from Sussex. A season ticket holder got us 5 tickets but unfortunately someone hadn't counted properly and there were 6 in our party. The session ticket holder persuaded the guy at the turnstile to let us all in though, he let the others in the normal way and I hopped in over the turnstile.
In Liverpool? Never, wouldn’t happen. They tell everyone, including legal professions, that it doesn’t, and never did.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
100% agree that rightly ticket touting is illegal . However passing a ticket on with agreement of the club is not illegal. That is what West Ham ST holders do in full agreement of the club
?? Albion allow you to share tickets with the agreement of the club . Like West Ham though - there are certain conditions about who/ when and how.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No profit is being made by my mate and the Emirates tickets, he's basically keeping the seat 'warm' so as not to lose. it. For the Anfield tickets, there is no money changing hands at all, it's all in the family.
A lifelong Liverpool fan friend of mine, and strangely he is also a scouser, finally got a ST this year - been in the waiting list for 21years! Now lives in Oxfordshire, I did snigger as that’s a hell of a commute! Still, he will go. He’s been married 20+ years after all!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
A lifelong Liverpool fan friend of mine, and strangely he is also a scouser, finally got a ST this year - been in the waiting list for 21years! Now lives in Oxfordshire, I did snigger as that’s a hell of a commute! Still, he will go. He’s been married 20+ years after all!
Up until our move back to Withdean in 1999 one of NSC's own was a STH at Anfield, he travelled from Sussex every week. I believe he gave it up then and has been an Albion STH ever since.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
When you say 'legitimate', is it in the T&Cs that you can pass on tickets in the manner you described?
Yes. Burnley's T&Cs say that you can't pass on a season ticket holder to someone in a more expensive category - for example, you can't give a pensioner ticket to an adult unless you pay for an upgrade - and by extension, this means you can pass it on to another person in the same or lower category - eg. adult to pensioner.

They've introduced a return-and-resale system this year as well, though not widely publicised so far so it wasn't particularly well taken up against Man City. (Partly because the new cards weren't even sent out until a week before kickoff.)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not only can you pass your ticket on at West Ham if you can't attend you can put it on the fans forum site at face value
West Ham have a ticket exchange system like the Albion. https://www.whufc.com/tickets/ticket-exchange
Also at West Ham you don't get cash back when you sell the ticket like the Albion, you get "West Ham Cash" which you can only use to redeem against a season ticket renewal.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

5 years ago Liverpool had a ST 'amnesty' where ST holders could get the ST put in the correct/up to date name!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
When you go to Disneyworld they take a finger print verification (one finger) process as you enter the park. That would be a pretty full proof way of ensuring that the correct person is using the ticket unless they have loaned their finger to someone. How much would this cost to install at all Premier League games? Millions I guess, but in a game awash with money this doesn't seem unachievable.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Pretty slow sales all round for this game, I see there are more than 1300 for sale on our exchange at the moment, transport issues? Or are folks still on their holidays? Certainly a good chance for some who can't/don't normally go to get a home ticket.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
When you go to Disneyworld they take a finger print verification (one finger) process as you enter the park. That would be a pretty full proof way of ensuring that the correct person is using the ticket unless they have loaned their finger to someone. How much would this cost to install at all Premier League games? Millions I guess, but in a game awash with money this doesn't seem unachievable.
It would be cheaper and make more sense to issue season tickets as cards rather than transferrable phone tickets, and that would ensure that whoever uses the ticket has to be either the owner, or someone the owner trusts. It would stop random touting.

I don't get this determination to ensure that casual fans don't get in. How many season ticket holders went to their first game as "guests" on a freebie because their pal couldn't go? I know of three season ticket holders at Burnley who started out with a free game on my ticket. If they hadn't been able to use it, then there is every chance they would never have got the bug.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Pretty slow sales all round for this game, I see there are more than 1300 for sale on our exchange at the moment, transport issues? Or are folks still on their holidays? Certainly a good chance for some who can't/don't normally go to get a home ticket.
Train strike makes it a complete pain in the backside to get from Worthing and further out- I don’t fancy the 700 bus either

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Put a pair on for the Newcastle game around 1pm yesterday and they were sold within half an hour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports