Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle's slow ticket sales / new penalties for handing on tickets

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Haha, they like to break rules there. I remember going to the Derby once in the Goodison end, I lived there but a few friends were visiting from Sussex. A season ticket holder got us 5 tickets but unfortunately someone hadn't counted properly and there were 6 in our party. The session ticket holder persuaded the guy at the turnstile to let us all in though, he let the others in the normal way and I hopped in over the turnstile.
Yes - and presumably that was before Sky invented 'proper' (i.e. corporate) football ................

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, last season Albion brought in rules pertaining to sharing of away tickets.

Some tickets are not posted and have to be collected at the away ground, with ID matching the name the ticket was ordered in.

Further Albion fans attending the game are asked to provide ID that matches the name on the ticket.

Failing either of these checks leads to an Amex ban and loyalty points deduction. We know the club have followed through with this threat, as some have reported it on here, and some appeals have made it to the Independent Football Ombudsman, which you can see here: https://www.theifo.co.uk/adjudications/

So, this thread wasn't reporting it as a new thing, merely saying Newcastle have now implemented a very similar scheme and it seems to have flushed out that it was a sizeable problem. I posted it out of general interest, and also because it may mean the away end at the Amex is not completely full for our upcoming game.
Thanks for all that. Very kind to spare the time. Appreciated :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They tried this at Burnley a few years ago, but abandoned it when they realised how many tickets are legitimately shared. For example, two parents who aren't particularly interested but their children are, so the parents only get one adult ticket and take turns. For example, shift workers. For example, people who can't afford a whole ticket or are missing quite a few weekends, so they share. There's a lot of it about.

Whether that will change now that it's a full house every week and the new owners have new ideas, we'll have to wait and see.
When you say 'legitimate', is it in the T&Cs that you can pass on tickets in the manner you described?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Membership scheme? Registering someone for the club to approve using your ticket? Ticket exchange?

No, can't think of anything involving making more money ............................
But how does any of that apply to the Newcastle plans to ID some away ticket holders?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Welcome to what George Orwell predicted!

All presented as “fair” and in the interest of true fans everyone blah blah blah. But it’s more about control and making money. Same with traffic enforcement and a thousand other things technology has been introduced to “improve”

Another decade or two and no one will protest because they know no different.

First they came for…etc etc
Anyone that protests against anything gets slated all the time (you can find many threads in here where we do it). If your Orwellian predictions are correct we are self policing each other while they shaft us.

Don't even get me started on continuing to vote for the part that forced austerity on everyone.

We really don't deserve anything more than we get.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
At Manchester United they have tightened the rules and now it’s more difficult for STH to pass on their ticket. The club operates a system similar to the Albion in which you can get a refund of your ST price, and then sells the ticket on the general market at much higher prices.

Gets rid of the unofficial touts and replaces them with official ones

IMG_2124.jpeg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
At Manchester United they have tightened the rules and now it’s more difficult for STH to pass on their ticket. The club operates a system similar to the Albion in which you can get a refund of your ST price, and then sells the ticket on the general market at much higher prices.

Gets rid of the unofficial touts and replaces them with official ones

View attachment 165428
Doesn't their website state that any tickets over £70 are premium seats with access to a lounge? If these are being sold for £275, what was their original price and is this the normal price for tickets in that area?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I naively thought the Albion system was full proof. Until my in laws recently showed me their family’s Albion s/t’s in their own iPhone wallets. Not old phones used for the purpose. When their son and his family can’t make games, they just tell the parents they can go using their own phones.

How does that work?

By changing your phone number in your Seagulls account online, and then back again?

It’s linked with the Google/Apple account on the phone rather than the number. You can put the season ticket on a phone without a simcard in so definitely not connected to the phone number.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My mate owns two Arsenal season tickets. He sells his second via a network of connections meaning he has never heard of the person sitting next to him 80% of the time. Sitting around him are numerous people who don't know the person whose ticket they are using, because he ticket passing on networks are myriad.

Unless independent ID is request on entry, however, how can anyone know if a ticket has been passed on?

My guess is this. Newcastle supporters are a bit thick.

Happy for someone to explain how I have got this all wrong.
My mates has a pair of Arsenal STs, had them since the Emirates opened. He hasn’t been near the place for 10 years - he and his son have Albion STs now (got them last season). His Arsenal tickets are ‘sub let’ to someone else…….

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I naively thought the Albion system was full proof. Until my in laws recently showed me their family’s Albion s/t’s in their own iPhone wallets. Not old phones used for the purpose. When their son and his family can’t make games, they just tell the parents they can go using their own phones.

How does that work?

By changing your phone number in your Seagulls account online, and then back again?
That is odd!! How on earth do they manage that?!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But how does any of that apply to the Newcastle plans to ID some away ticket holders?
:facepalm:

Are you being deliberately dense? Want to pass your ticket to a friend (which you've already paid for)? OK, there's a fee of £20 quid to do it - oh, and your friend will have to be registered - that'll cost him £25..
No, no extra money for the club involved at all.....................

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
….. I posted it out of general interest, and also because it may mean the away end at the Amex is not completely full for our upcoming game.
will be interesting to see - there are normally plenty of Newcastle fans in our end (at least in the east stand by the away fans there were last year)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Can someone summarise, my battery is low and the signal in Valley Grove isn’t what you’d expect from SE7 coverage

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
:facepalm:

Are you being deliberately dense? Want to pass your ticket to a friend (which you've already paid for)? OK, there's a fee of £20 quid to do it - oh, and your friend will have to be registered - that'll cost him £25..
No, no extra money for the club involved at all.....................
But @Uter isn't being dense as the post references ID for AWAY games. The fees you quote are for our 'HOME' ticket sharing scheme. We are not allowed to share away tickets - so there's no fees for that?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Can someone summarise, my battery is low and the signal in Valley Grove isn’t what you’d expect from SE7 coverage
Newcastle support not what’s it’s cracked up to be, the away end will be half empty when we play them.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Newcastle fans aren’t happy their club is enforcing the T&Cs the tickets are sold with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here