Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle's slow ticket sales / new penalties for handing on tickets

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Football isn't what it used to be. You can't just rock up and pay on the gate. Why should a casual fan get to jump the queue ahead of those that have paid into membership schemes, can't afford a season ticket, and then find any tom dick or harry is ahead of them at the whim of a STH who maybe sometimes can't be arsed to go unless of course it's one of the big clubs?
I suppose flexibility can be considered a bad thing too. A system that allows members priority on returned season tickets AND allows season ticket holders to take friends and family if the owner can't go, is clearly unpopular with some.

Wait until we're not in the PL any more. (It'll happen to us both.) If ticket sales have been a completely closed shop for years, it might be tricky to start attracting new fans again. I don't suppose for a moment that Burnley, even in the PL, will continue to sell out every match like this season. And when tickets aren't being sold out, then allowing friends and family in for free (via a spare, paid for season ticket) can only help with future sales.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The away system came in because there is a limited no of tickets and too many were going that were not entitled which deprived those that were. Not to keep out troublemakers. The bad old days were many years ago. In first 7 years at Amex because people were able to pass ticket on, many as you describe morons were able to enter. I still never saw any trouble. I am sure you are aware trouble at football grounds is usually restricted to outside or town centres
I repeat club have achieved there aim of of many of those going to the odd game also having paid £30ish for membership.
But the club were aware of this because people arrested weren't entitled to have those tickets. Had those arrests not happened then the club probably would have continued to turn a blind eye to the issue.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
But the club were aware of this because people arrested weren't entitled to have those tickets. Had those arrests not happened then the club probably would have continued to turn a blind eye to the issue.
This is not my query. Have never had a problem with clubs away ticket system. Not perfect but Good for them for putting it in place to make an attempt to make sure right people get tickets.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I suppose flexibility can be considered a bad thing too. A system that allows members priority on returned season tickets AND allows season ticket holders to take friends and family if the owner can't go, is clearly unpopular with some.

Wait until we're not in the PL any more. (It'll happen to us both.) If ticket sales have been a completely closed shop for years, it might be tricky to start attracting new fans again. I don't suppose for a moment that Burnley, even in the PL, will continue to sell out every match like this season. And when tickets aren't being sold out, then allowing friends and family in for free (via a spare, paid for season ticket) can only help with future sales.
Agreed. But there isn't a closed shop for tickets at the Albion. Season tickets went to general sale in the summer - although there might well be a waiting list next summer. There's still plenty of guest tickets, and general sale tickets available for home games - although they tend to sell out in the end. If you're a member then you will be able to pick up tickets for nearly all home games and most away games outside of London , and all home Europe games this season either via the Exchange, normal ticket sales or through shares of season tickets. And of course FA Cup, League Cup games and potentially (some of ) our Europe games won't sell out and will be available to new fans.
You could argue that it would be even easier if unlimited free ticket sharing to non members was allowed. Maybe - but idea that there's not hundreds of opportunities for new fans to attend every match and get a taste of the Albion for the first time via these routes is true as well.

PS: if you have a kids season ticket at the Albion and they can't go - evening game etc. - then you can upgrade the ticket - pay the difference for an adult ticket and then share that - with anyone - multiple times a season. Friends , family - non members - anyone.

Last edited:

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Hold on a minute, this article is from a Newcastle fan who lives in London who regularly sees other southern-based Newcastle fans at away games. This can't be right because the media always tell us what wonderful fans Newcastle have for filling away ends down south when it's a squillion-mile round trip. Surely all Newcastle fans are born and live in "the Toon". I for one am shocked.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hold on a minute, this article is from a Newcastle fan who lives in London who regularly sees other southern-based Newcastle fans at away games. This can't be right because the media always tell us what wonderful fans Newcastle have for filling away ends down south when it's a squillion-mile round trip. Surely all Newcastle fans are born and live in "the Toon". I for one am shocked.
Exactly :lolol:

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
That article basically goes “I always used to be able to get tickets because my mates gave me theirs and it should always be that way” - some peoples entitlement is amazing, surely not giving points to people who don’t go through the turnstile is the only answer to their problems or minus points for buying and then not going?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That article basically goes “I always used to be able to get tickets because my mates gave me theirs and it should always be that way” - some peoples entitlement is amazing, surely not giving points to people who don’t go through the turnstile is the only answer to their problems or minus points for buying and then not going?
To a certain extent however I had tickets for away games last season at Man City and Leicester which I didn't attend.

Man City - after repeatedly telling my youngest to book the coach as there was a train strike he didn't then realised too late so didn't go.

Leicester - was ill

Should I be deducted points ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The away end sold out, and did so by going to a very low points level, ie 1, so if the author of the article was unable to buy a ticket in his own name, he must have literally zero points/history of buying tickets himself.

But the away end did still sell out, allowing those who might normally miss out on away tickets to buy them. If there were empty seats, it can only be those who bought but were unable to go, or those who bought with no intention of going, harvesting the points to retain their priority position, assuming Newcastle don't record actual attendance to award the points.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
This is in his write up of the game, bloke needs to screw his head on who wears away colours into the home end? I wish they hadn't let him in.

"Walking up to the turnstiles a keen-eyed steward spots the black and white stripes sticking out the bottom of my lad’s hoodie. “Can’t let you in fellas” as he points to the colours.

Fortunately, the steward is not a jobsworth, and seeing Jimmy is with us in Brighton shirt and scarf he lets us in. Match pies and a few Neckoils later we take our seats."

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
There is a big difference though compared to Manure and LiVARpool (for example) in that most southern Newcastle fans are actually exiled Geordies who've moved home and now live down here, so for them to go to away games I think is completely acceptable and valid. With Manure, on the other hand, most of their southern fans are just glory hunters with obvious southern accents - TWATS

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
To a certain extent however I had tickets for away games last season at Man City and Leicester which I didn't attend.

Man City - after repeatedly telling my youngest to book the coach as there was a train strike he didn't then realised too late so didn't go.

Leicester - was ill

Should I be deducted points ?
I think - where its technically possible - Albion now only give you loyalty points if you attend the game for which you have purchased tickets.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think - where its technically possible - Albion now only give you loyalty points if you attend the game for which you have purchased tickets.
I appreciate that however what the OP is inferring is deduction if purchased but not attended and the point I am making is (been raised a thousand times) sometimes circumstances change and you cannot attend

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One of the most entitled pair of articles I’ve ever read (I linked to his match report).

Thinks he should get tickets just because of where he lives, and that it’s ok to wear colours and celebrate an away goal in our end?

Hopefully the club will cancel Greg McPeake’s membership in time for next season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I appreciate that however what the OP is inferring is deduction if purchased but not attended and the point I am making is (been raised a thousand times) sometimes circumstances change and you cannot attend
Yep. And agreed that refunds or sharing away tickets when circumstances change in good faith (train strikes, illness etc) is just not there yet partly because very few club offer digital ticketing and partly cos the club is slow setting up clear processes for it (it does exist in a limited fashion but it feels ad hoc and arbitrary)

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
The away end sold out, and did so by going to a very low points level, ie 1, so if the author of the article was unable to buy a ticket in his own name, he must have literally zero points/history of buying tickets himself.

But the away end did still sell out, allowing those who might normally miss out on away tickets to buy them. If there were empty seats, it can only be those who bought but were unable to go, or those who bought with no intention of going, harvesting the points to retain their priority position, assuming Newcastle don't record actual attendance to award the points.
Possibly, but I suspect the train issues that weekend didn’t help and maybe affected some fans ability to travel?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Possibly, but I suspect the train issues that weekend didn’t help and maybe affected some fans ability to travel?
Maybe a few, but most of their fans would have been aware of that at the time of purchase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here