Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle's slow ticket sales / new penalties for handing on tickets

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
To a certain extent however I had tickets for away games last season at Man City and Leicester which I didn't attend.

Man City - after repeatedly telling my youngest to book the coach as there was a train strike he didn't then realised too late so didn't go.

Leicester - was ill

Should I be deducted points ?
No, not deducted. But you shouldn’t receive the points for those games as all you did was put your credit card details into the website. Anybody with money can do that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No, not deducted. But you shouldn’t receive the points for those games as all you did was put your credit card details into the website. Anybody with money can do that.
No issue with not getting the points if not attended

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
There is a big difference though compared to Manure and LiVARpool (for example) in that most southern Newcastle fans are actually exiled Geordies who've moved home and now live down here, so for them to go to away games I think is completely acceptable and valid. With Manure, on the other hand, most of their southern fans are just glory hunters with obvious southern accents - TWATS
Most yes, but not all are Geordies and certainly not all have travelled from Newcastle. This is what the media constantly portrays. Was listening to 606 on way back from the game on Saturday and the first Newcastle fan on had a distinctly southern accent who had travelled all the way from London. Funny that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No issue with not getting the points if not attended
You're spot on here Beachy,

I had Chelsea tickets last season, every intention to go. Mrs GB had a weekend work thing to do at fairly short notice, I needed to look after youngest. That's the way it goes sometimes. I didn't expect the points to be added but nor would a deduction have been fair. I did let the club know too.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The away end sold out, and did so by going to a very low points level, ie 1, so if the author of the article was unable to buy a ticket in his own name, he must have literally zero points/history of buying tickets himself.

But the away end did still sell out, allowing those who might normally miss out on away tickets to buy them. If there were empty seats, it can only be those who bought but were unable to go, or those who bought with no intention of going, harvesting the points to retain their priority position, assuming Newcastle don't record actual attendance to award the points.
Nice summary. The author of the article does rather shoot himself in the foot and as others have inferred he comes across as an entitled knob. Many of us wait patiently for our turn in the queue. There is no reason why the club should allow the old boy network of who you know/having the right mates to determine who gets a ticket.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
This is in his write up of the game, bloke needs to screw his head on who wears away colours into the home end? I wish they hadn't let him in.

"Walking up to the turnstiles a keen-eyed steward spots the black and white stripes sticking out the bottom of my lad’s hoodie. “Can’t let you in fellas” as he points to the colours.

Fortunately, the steward is not a jobsworth, and seeing Jimmy is with us in Brighton shirt and scarf he lets us in. Match pies and a few Neckoils later we take our seats."
I went to a rugby league match Keighley v Barrow last week, and stood among a group of Barrow supporters - one of whom was wearing a Keighley shirt in tribute to Danny Jones who died on the pitch a few years ago - and we all had club colours and we all celebrated our own sides' tries. It's a desperate shame we can't do that any more at football.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
I went to a rugby league match Keighley v Barrow last week, and stood among a group of Barrow supporters - one of whom was wearing a Keighley shirt in tribute to Danny Jones who died on the pitch a few years ago - and we all had club colours and we all celebrated our own sides' tries. It's a desperate shame we can't do that any more at football.
This isn’t even comparable to football. Different sports and different rituals.

el punal

Most yes, but not all are Geordies and certainly not all have travelled from Newcastle. This is what the media constantly portrays. Was listening to 606 on way back from the game on Saturday and the first Newcastle fan on had a distinctly southern accent who had travelled all the way from London. Funny that.
And of course there are many Albion fans that live ‘oop north’. Accents are meaningless, I lived in Belfast for a year and came back to Sussex sounding like Ian Paisley!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I fail to see how given that sales went down to members with just a single point that the author was not entitled to purchase a ticket for himself. The steward shouldn't have let them in if colours were visible.

Yet again Newcastle showing themselves up for the entitled bellends they are.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Its a desperate shame we cant do that at football, what a load of nonsense. I don't want to go and watch a team i support and be surrounded by a load of self entitled Newcastle fans who think they have the god given right to a ticket where ever they fancy.

Rugby is a completely different sport and there is a reason i dont watch it or attend the games.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
To a certain extent however I had tickets for away games last season at Man City and Leicester which I didn't attend.

Man City - after repeatedly telling my youngest to book the coach as there was a train strike he didn't then realised too late so didn't go.

Leicester - was ill

Should I be deducted points ?
Not being harsh but yes I think so - your son not organising coaches deprived someone else from going - lots of people can organise themselves.

I’ll isn’t fair but yes it makes it simple for everyone to understand - if you go you get points, if you buy tickets and don’t go you lose points, no excuses - I imagine this will only happen a few times in your whole life so shouldn’t be a problem really.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
This isn’t even comparable to football. Different sports and different rituals.
Of course it's comparable. It's a professional ball game with tribal support. It may be different, but it's certainly comparable.

I accept that some people like the "two tribes at war" attitude and the hundreds of policemen and enforced segregation and risk of harm to those in the "wrong" end. It's just that I don't. We can agree to differ.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think the deductions only happen if you allow your ticket to be used by someone else.
Yes. i think . Points are only deducted as part of the range of sanctions if you allow your ticket to be used by others without club permission or via sharing scheme etc. (eg: 5 match ban and 50 point deduction is the basic sanction ) . If you purchase a ticket and don't go - then you just won't get the points added.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
That was a nice touch for rugby league and for the person who passed away, but this would be rubbish at football. Give me a proper away end with fans all together.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not being harsh but yes I think so - your son not organising coaches deprived someone else from going - lots of people can organise themselves.

I’ll isn’t fair but yes it makes it simple for everyone to understand - if you go you get points, if you buy tickets and don’t go you lose points, no excuses - I imagine this will only happen a few times in your whole life so shouldn’t be a problem really.
What the person was inferring was no show actually loyalty points deducted from current total, I have no problem not receiving the loyalty points for a game I purchased a ticket for but didn't attend.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
If you buy an away ticket and don’t go, your fault or not, im firmly in the “lose points” camp - you deprive other people from going, their inability to buy your ticket isn’t their fault, it is yours whether you intended to or not.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
If you buy an away ticket and don’t go, your fault or not, im firmly in the “lose points” camp - you deprive other people from going, their inability to buy your ticket isn’t their fault, it is yours whether you intended to or not.

Haha, if serious this is an incredibly stupid take. Every away game so far has gone to Albion+ members - what's the issue? Who is missing out? Everyone is being given opportunities to build up points for the big ones

If no shows were a huge issue (they aren't), I could maybe begin to understand. But you don't get points if you don't scan your ticket, no one is gaming the system. No one should be held accountable for illness, work commitments, travel issues. The club have created a system where you cannot pass on away tickets, it's on them.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Haha, if serious this is an incredibly stupid take. Every away game so far has gone to Albion+ members - what's the issue? Who is missing out? Everyone is being given opportunities to build up points for the big ones

If no shows were a huge issue (they aren't), I could maybe begin to understand. But you don't get points if you don't scan your ticket, no one is gaming the system. No one should be held accountable for illness, work commitments, travel issues. The club have created a system where you cannot pass on away tickets, it's on them.
It’s an opinion, not a “take”. Maybe doesn’t apply now to us but we are discussing Newcastle and their issues.

When we win the prem next year then maybe you’ll be glad of my rules :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here