Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Terrible starting line up.
Really disappointed in RDZ tonight. Only 4 games left. 360 mins of football. I’m sure the precious little cherubs could have managed.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yeah, to an extent, but his job was made much easier by the 11 we started with on the pitch. Would have loved to see our 1st 11 go up against theirs- we'd have given them a great game I'm sure. Alas fixture congestion and injuries fvcked us over for this one
Yep. Those few extra points we want were never going to be easy to get away at Newcastle though.

North East Seagull

Jul 6, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have just got home and still p1ssed off. I hate that lot, and Howe, and we made it easy for them. Had some interesting discussions with a couple of their fans on the bus home. They give it the big one so thought it only right to remind them they are even more plastic than citeh and remind them that everyone now hates them? For obvious reasins. Mentioned a few other things about their club/fans with no real comeback. Felt a little better, but still p1ssed off.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Terrible starting line up.
Really disappointed in RDZ tonight. Only 4 games left. 360 mins of football. I’m sure the precious little cherubs could have managed.
Not a lot of choice of who played at the back, and it doesn't matter who you play up front if you can't get the ball to them.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Now waiting for an 03.15 coach at Dublin Airport so ready for a kip. Not to be tonight but as another thread says(and in best Northern Soul tradition) Keep the Faith. I was lucky enough to be near a few members of NSK I think in the ground and there was still consistent singing through much of the game which still made it worthwhile for me - thanks for leading guys - UTA

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Disappointing scoreline but deserved result unfortunately.

It was always going to be tough, even more so when the team sheet was announced. That isn't a criticism of the individual players or those that came in by the way. It's just a tough ask when not only have you got players coming in with limited first team minutes but players out of position and the lack of partnerships across the pitch.

The only regular partnership we had today was down the left with Estupinian and Mitoma and Estupinian and Dunk.

In central defense we hd dunk and van hecke playing their first(second?) game together. Van hecke and Caicedo had never played together before. Caicedo and Buonanotte have very few if any minutes together on our right flank. Same with Gilmour and Gross in midfield. Same with the three behind the striker.

That lack of cohesion is going to tell against a side as physical and intense as Newcastle. To have a chance you need to be perfect with the ball and sadly we weren't. We couldn't get the ball past midfield in the first half.

I understand why we had to rotate so I have no complaints there either. My only question is whether we could have rotated earlier in the season? Gilmour in particular looks comfortable in the team. If he'd have had more minutes over the season would Ally Mac be fresher enabling us to start both him and Gilmour against Newcastle. Likewise other positions. More rotation might have meant March or Veltman still being fit and available.

Or, were the squad players genuinely not close enough in standard until relatively recently?

I don't know. I wonder if De Zerbi does?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
That and the fact that the majority of experienced players all had shockers.
They're shattered. Perv has been unbelievable all season, but he's gone. Pascal is ultra reliable, but he couldn't hit a pass first half. Mitoma'a tank is empty. The list goes on.

Injuries mean that we're not able to practically rest anyone. It's a shame but we all know the squad wasn't designed to play with many games this late in the season.

Last edited:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
They're shattered. Perv has been unbelievable all season, but he's gone. Pascal is ultra reliable, but he couldn't hit a pass first half. Mitoma'a track is empty. The list goes on.

Injuries mean that we're not able to practically rest anyone. It's a shame but we all know the squad wasn't designed to play with many games this late in the season.
Agree.
In that nervy second PL season we were pretty reliant on there being three worse teams than us.
This time we may well be reliant on Spurs and Villa dropping enough points as there’s certainly no guarantee we’re going to get two wins

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We have not really recovered from extra time and disappointment at Wembley have we?
Think it's a bit unfair to lay too much of what went wrong tonight on the players that have not played much. Eddie Howe had a plan, his players executed it well, and without being at full strength, we struggled.
Many times under Potter a team came to the Amex, and the away fans said that was their worst performance, not crediting Brighton with having stopped them being able to play their game. We came up against a manager who played us right, we were below the strength we have had most of the season, and that made it even tougher.
Lets give Newcastle and Howe a bit of credit for working hard and making it hard for us to be at our best.
Far too sensible.
I detest Newcastle, their arrogant players, their filthy owners and their smug manager even more than I did yesterday, but they were very good yesterday.
And a special raspberry to Dan Burn, who would be nowhere if it wasn’t for BHAFC.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dan Burn really pissed me off with his goal celebrations last night, boo material for me from here on :smile:

Joel Linton is a niggly confrontational moaning twat too and he loves staying down when tackled.

Loved Enciso’s cheeky behaviour against Almiron and Caicedo’s smirking after confrontations though

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think he made the right decision. Wilson was between him and Dunk and there's no way he would have caught up with him. It didn't work but it probably gave a better chance than staying deeper and getting into a foot race with Wilson.
Sorry, but it just doesn’t work, see my later post and explanation.

And once again this was proven. Poor decision making.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Far too sensible.
I detest Newcastle, their arrogant players, their filthy owners and their smug manager even more than I did yesterday, but they were very good yesterday.
And a special raspberry to Dan Burn, who would be nowhere if it wasn’t for BHAFC.
A neutral sent me a text saying Burn’s celebration was disrespectful. I know it’s his boyhood team and all that, but he could’ve shown a bit of class.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It almost worked, but Wilson stepped back too, just enough. I was a bit disappointed at the effort he didn't put in to chasing back after though, even if it was a lost cause.
Sorry it didn’t. You need to watch again.

The brain/eyes react to the pass which, whilst all split second stuff, is invariably too late and reactive.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just back at the hotel……..not the best performance but understandable with rotation of knackered players, injuries, and two more games in the next week coming. At 2-1 we were still in it. Will leave it to others to continue to dig out the owner, CEO, manager and/or individual players, not something I’m going to do.
Well done on going.

You haven’t missed many this year?

We’ve missed 4, including last night, which we were always going to struggle with as soon as it went mid-week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here