Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
No defend properly, and take a better position to start with.

It’s an experience thing and I’m sure he’ll make a better decision next time

And what position would that be? Get touch tight and let them play the ball in behind anyway?

Dunk got dragged over when Moises slipped, whereas the better move would have been to keep his position and let Almiron run with the ball. (Not that I am criticizing Dunk for that, it's just one of those hindsight things.).

NUFC1

May 16, 2023
While you're here, you don't feel like recommending a pub in the centre of Newcastle for a pint of decent beer do you?
I'm up here semi regularly but always seem to find myself in the pub opposite the station or Wetherspoon-type places.

It all depends what you want really, but for a bit of history try the Old George in the Bigg Market. There's a pub been on that site since the 1600s to my knowledge, and does some cask ales (buy 6, get your 7th free) if that's what you're after. There's a few 'proper' pubs round there - none of the Wetherspoon/Greene King shi*e we seem to be subjected to most of the time.

The Bridge Tavern is a personal favourite though - their terrace/beer garden is directly beneath the Tyne Bridge. The beer is pretty poor though. The Charles Grey just outside of Monument metro station has some nice beers and panoramic views of the city.

To be honest, you don't have to look far. Crown Posada still has it's Victorian decor too, that's just down towards the Quayside.
It must be a real kick to the balls, reasonably not wanting to walk away, whilst success will always be somewhat sullied; its a shame, with no good option, only least bad!

I understand what you're saying for sure, but from my perspective there is no kick in the balls. I support the XI on the pitch and nothing more. I was there during the Ashley years (I'm in no way comparing Ashley to KSA btw) and I'll be there after the Saudi's are gone, God willing. I understand that it will be somewhat tainted but I'm here to enjoy the game, it's not the players or the fans fault this has happened. The Premier League are to blame - it should never have happened.

More to the point, in 2021 I lost my brother who I had attended matches with since we were 8 and 6 respectively. Our last match together was just before COVID hit in 2020. We used to joke on about reaching cup finals and being in the Champions League and it saddens me that he won't see this version of Newcastle as he should be beside me in the Gallowgate like it always was. His final memory was of the shower that was Messrs Ashley & Bruce. The football & general mood was horrific.

I've no doubt he'd have been as uncomfortable as me and my Dad both are with the ownership, but as I've said in previous posts - whether you like to admit it or not, football fans are fickle. The politics are put to the side once you enter the stadium, as is all of your other worries - whether that be paying bills, feeding your kids or even where to go on fuc*ing holiday. It's a release and an escape, nothing more. It's slowly been taken from the working man as it was originally intended, now filling the pockets of Americans, Russians, Chinese or even actual states. Will I ever agree with that? Never. Will I still enjoy myself on a Saturday with friends and family? Always.

Some of the days/nights I've had this season in that stadium were absolutely magic, last night included. Seeing old blokes in their 70s/80s jumping for joy as we were 5-0 up against Spurs in 20 minutes. Seeing young lads on their Dad's shoulders singing 'We're going to Italy!'. It's just what it's all about. I wish I was bold enough to care about tainted success or even walk away, but I just can't and never could. It's my club, my first love and it always will be, no matter who's on the pitch or in the Director's box.

I'd be all for British football following the German model, but it will never happen because the Premier League brand = ££. The rich get richer. Football itself is broken, I will always admit that. But money will always win, in any walk of life. It's absolutely sh*t.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
It's like climbing up Durham Cathedral, isn't it!?

I used to sit in Level 7 back in my younger days and can't lie, it was always a bit of a p*sser walking up all them stairs after sinking a good few beers before the match.

However, you do get amazing views over the City. You can even see Sunderland on a clear day, although not sure you'd want to mind...
I counted the steps (I’m a bit like that). It was 140 to the concourse compared to 123 to WSU at the Amex, so it wasn’t that much different. I was feeling quite smug having managed that with ease for someone 70 years old this year (who last went to St James Park as a university student here 50 years ago). What I wasn’t expecting was then another 55 steps to the back row of the block which drained me a bit. I then turned round and had to grab the shocked guy standing next to me as vertigo flooded through me (along with the remnants of too many pints of Abbott at £2.68 in town).

The view might have been good from up there, but it’s wierd watching football next to a hundred foot wall. The screen’s on the wall so I couldn’t see it and I could hear no announcements. The players were ants so I had no idea who was going on and off.

I’m staying over for a couple of nights and went to Sunderland today. I won’t go on about crap city centre planning but they have a great city museum and winter garden.

Please pray for my safe return tomorrow in the midst of a train drivers’ overtime ban.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Yeah, there is a rule that you have to have a section of fans pitch side but Newcastle (and Sunderland when they were in the Premier League) have exemptions due to safety, which let's be fair is boll*cks. The argument is it would entail fans mixing at the end, but I was at Elland Road last weekend and we were put straight out with the Leeds fans, who are a feisty bunch to say the least. There was no bother that I seen.

I suppose on the other hand if you split up the away fans (as has been mooted at St James' to allow a block pitchside) then the away fans are not together and to me that would take away the experience as an away fan. I've been to Oakwell before where we had some at the side and some behind the goal and it was rubbish - songs are not coordinated etc. So it's a double edged sword, though I took take your point for sure. Personally I prefer being higher up as I feel like you get to see the full game, but that's just personal preference. I do not enjoy walking up to Level 7 after a few beers!

Understand your points regarding ownership too and stand by what I said earlier; a state shouldn't own a football club, especially one as despicable as KSA. I would find it incredibly hard to walk away from something that gives me so much joy - win, lose or draw. But again that's just me and I could understand people voting with their feet.

Sadly, the precedent was set when Man City and subsequently PSG were bought by Gulf states. The Premier League should have never allowed our takeover to be passed, but were put under pressure from the British Government due to us being in bed with the Saudis. It stinks, but it will always be my club - they're just custodians for a period. Like any industry, money always wins. Sad but true.
I really want to hate Newcastle because of the owners but find it quite hard. It’s a great City, good away day (better when not midweek mind) and fans are generally quite genuine, self deprecating and not plastics. I think you’re right that my ire should probably be mainly directed at the PL and the Government.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It all depends what you want really, but for a bit of history try the Old George in the Bigg Market. There's a pub been on that site since the 1600s to my knowledge, and does some cask ales (buy 6, get your 7th free) if that's what you're after.
Challenge accepted :lolol:
:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

In all seriousness, sorry to hear about your brother.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It all depends what you want really, but for a bit of history try the Old George in the Bigg Market. There's a pub been on that site since the 1600s to my knowledge, and does some cask ales (buy 6, get your 7th free) if that's what you're after. There's a few 'proper' pubs round there - none of the Wetherspoon/Greene King shi*e we seem to be subjected to most of the time.

The Bridge Tavern is a personal favourite though - their terrace/beer garden is directly beneath the Tyne Bridge. The beer is pretty poor though. The Charles Grey just outside of Monument metro station has some nice beers and panoramic views of the city.

To be honest, you don't have to look far. Crown Posada still has it's Victorian decor too, that's just down towards the Quayside.

I understand what you're saying for sure, but from my perspective there is no kick in the balls. I support the XI on the pitch and nothing more. I was there during the Ashley years (I'm in no way comparing Ashley to KSA btw) and I'll be there after the Saudi's are gone, God willing. I understand that it will be somewhat tainted but I'm here to enjoy the game, it's not the players or the fans fault this has happened. The Premier League are to blame - it should never have happened.

More to the point, in 2021 I lost my brother who I had attended matches with since we were 8 and 6 respectively. Our last match together was just before COVID hit in 2020. We used to joke on about reaching cup finals and being in the Champions League and it saddens me that he won't see this version of Newcastle as he should be beside me in the Gallowgate like it always was. His final memory was of the shower that was Messrs Ashley & Bruce. The football & general mood was horrific.

I've no doubt he'd have been as uncomfortable as me and my Dad both are with the ownership, but as I've said in previous posts - whether you like to admit it or not, football fans are fickle. The politics are put to the side once you enter the stadium, as is all of your other worries - whether that be paying bills, feeding your kids or even where to go on fuc*ing holiday. It's a release and an escape, nothing more. It's slowly been taken from the working man as it was originally intended, now filling the pockets of Americans, Russians, Chinese or even actual states. Will I ever agree with that? Never. Will I still enjoy myself on a Saturday with friends and family? Always.

Some of the days/nights I've had this season in that stadium were absolutely magic, last night included. Seeing old blokes in their 70s/80s jumping for joy as we were 5-0 up against Spurs in 20 minutes. Seeing young lads on their Dad's shoulders singing 'We're going to Italy!'. It's just what it's all about. I wish I was bold enough to care about tainted success or even walk away, but I just can't and never could. It's my club, my first love and it always will be, no matter who's on the pitch or in the Director's box.

I'd be all for British football following the German model, but it will never happen because the Premier League brand = ££. The rich get richer. Football itself is broken, I will always admit that. But money will always win, in any walk of life. It's absolutely sh*t.
This is a really good post. I’ve always gone to games with my dad and, while he’s fortunately still with us, he isn’t really able to go to games these days. The irony of having gone fairly regularly in all of the years we were s**t and now not going much when we’re brilliant isn’t lost on me. I also completely agree with your final paragraph.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And what position would that be? Get touch tight and let them play the ball in behind anyway?

Dunk got dragged over when Moises slipped, whereas the better move would have been to keep his position and let Almiron run with the ball. (Not that I am criticizing Dunk for that, it's just one of those hindsight things.).
No, a slow defender playing so high is a bad start, and nowhere near his CB colleague is also a bad starting position. He should be slightly diagonal to Dunk not square.

Incidentally, touch tight would have been better than stepping up as well, as he could have grabbed his shirt or blocked him, see Veltman or even Hunenmeir.

Arguably Dunk was also too high, and could have held his position as well a little longer, even if it ended 2 on 2, but still better than a clear run on goal. Perhaps that is harsh though.

Sorry Alex, I don’t agree with you on this, stepping up is poor defending and rarely comes off….

PlayMoran

May 19, 2023
Brighton have had too many injuries and games to stay consistent during this gruelling schedule. The injuries and forced rotation will lead to inconsistency. When you see van Hecke and Buonanotte starting, it was obviously going to be a very difficult game. They lack experience at this level.

Your best XI is probably:

Ferguson

Mitoma-----Mac Allister------March

Groß-----Caicedo

Estupiñán-----Dunk----Webster----Lamptey

Steele
So, there's no shame in losing this game. Newcastle are very strong at home.

The next two home games are winnable. Especially if City wrap up the league this weekend.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I do think though that Mac and Moises have to be starting every game. I know they had the WC too, but they're not going to be here next year and are two of our greatest ever players. You just say to them 'look boys I know you're tired, I know you're hurting, but it's four more games. That's it. Four games and you get your big move. Four more games and you're on the beach. Just one last massive effort'.
Agreed - but if they get injured because their bodies are too fatigued, we won't have them for the remaining games anyway. I don't think RDZ changes the line-up for the sake of it. They have so much data these days to tell them what condition a player is in. Just look at what happened with Solly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They have so much data these days to tell them what condition a player is in. Just look at what happened with Solly.

I agree with your overall point, but doesn't the injury to Solly suggest they didn't have enough data on the condition he was in?

Fairer than singling out any of the players.
Yeah I don't blame the players and he even admitted after he made a mistake. But it does worry me that we will have too much pressure on ourselves tomorrow and with Villa making me shit it they will get a win, I think it could f*** Europe. Anyway, I'm always nervous with BHA as we are so unpredictable.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Great post (y)

axscott

Jan 10, 2022
Agree with most of what you said but I can't believe you (and a bunch of others) have written off Buonanotte already. An 18 year old kid come half way around the world a few months ago, not speaking the language, playing in the toughest league in the world, expected to play in a totally new role and system and being thrown in at the deep end because we don't have the squad depth to give him the time to settle down.

How many years was Mac Allister here before he regularly played and got to his current level? He's already played more games than Caicedo did in his first year and a half, Caicedo was 6 months in before he got his first game and then went out on loan for 6 months.

But no, he's f-ing useless because he's not scoring worldies after being here for 4 months.

Get a grip people.
Absolutely, he's a kid and needs time. Someone also replied to me saying "are you suggesting we get rid of Mitoma?" like no, that is not what my post says. My post is saying that we are relying on a clearly tired Mitoma and a kid who hasn't had the time to settle in properly. That is not what we should be relying on at this stage of the season, just highlighting how unprepared our squad is for this kind of fixture congestion along with the super demanding football.

Buonanotte is being called upon because March and Sarmiento are injured, I would sincerely hope people aren't expecting the 3rd choice RW to be a world-beater (yet), I hope it didn't come across like I've written him off but I think it is fair to say that he is not good enough at the moment and that is part of the struggles in some games but that is not his fault and I hope this first team experience really aids his development.

What I will say is that the injuries are not being talked about enough by media/other fans, Arsenal missing 1 player (Saliba) has been credited with their downfall but we lose Veltman, March, Lallana and Webster, Ferguson, Sarmiento, Lamptey, Colwill etc for months each and nobody bats an eyelid! We even had a £20m player retire and Moder (£15m?) unavailable all season!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Absolutely, he's a kid and needs time. Someone also replied to me saying "are you suggesting we get rid of Mitoma?" like no, that is not what my post says. My post is saying that we are relying on a clearly tired Mitoma and a kid who hasn't had the time to settle in properly. That is not what we should be relying on at this stage of the season, just highlighting how unprepared our squad is for this kind of fixture congestion along with the super demanding football.

Buonanotte is being called upon because March and Sarmiento are injured, I would sincerely hope people aren't expecting the 3rd choice RW to be a world-beater (yet), I hope it didn't come across like I've written him off but I think it is fair to say that he is not good enough at the moment and that is part of the struggles in some games but that is not his fault and I hope this first team experience really aids his development.

What I will say is that the injuries are not being talked about enough by media/other fans, Arsenal missing 1 player (Saliba) has been credited with their downfall but we lose Veltman, March, Lallana and Webster, Ferguson, Sarmiento, Lamptey, Colwill etc for months each and nobody bats an eyelid! We even had a £20m player retire and Moder (£15m?) unavailable all season!
While I agree that Buonanotte has had too much to do too soon, and Mitoma has looked shattered, I disagree with what you're saying about the squad. This squad, however depleted, has earned a top six finish. That's extraordinary. At the start of the season, we couldn't have envisaged the fixture congestion that we've endured over the last two months, nor could we have expected the depth of the injuries.
The situation will be different for next season, and we'll have a much deeper squad, but even doing that will throw up its own problems -- look at how Sanchez has reacted to losing his place.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
No, a slow defender playing so high is a bad start, and nowhere near his CB colleague is also a bad starting position. He should be slightly diagonal to Dunk not square.

Incidentally, touch tight would have been better than stepping up as well, as he could have grabbed his shirt or blocked him, see Veltman or even Hunenmeir.

Arguably Dunk was also too high, and could have held his position as well a little longer, even if it ended 2 on 2, but still better than a clear run on goal. Perhaps that is harsh though.

Sorry Alex, I don’t agree with you on this, stepping up is poor defending and rarely comes off….

Luckily it came off today for the Walcott offside ;)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Luckily it came off today for the Walcott offside ;)
He didn’t step up though, he was chasing?
Haven’t seen the replay yet, so you may be right…..

God that was a horrible 3-4 mins…..

But yes you’re right, thank goodness - just slumped in my seat, really thought he was onside…..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here