Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It's like climbing up Durham Cathedral, isn't it!?

I used to sit in Level 7 back in my younger days and can't lie, it was always a bit of a p*sser walking up all them stairs after sinking a good few beers before the match.

However, you do get amazing views over the City. You can even see Sunderland on a clear day, although not sure you'd want to mind...
It's pretty scandalous that Newcastle manage to get away with putting away fans up there. Awful view and incredibly detached from the whole thing and gives you an unfair advantage at home over the rest of the league. And I'm afraid that if the Saudis had brought Brighton then I would have called it a day after 40 years so you really have sold your soul embracing them as you have done with little to no protest. That said, enjoyed my trip and you deserved your victory and all the Geordies we met were friendly and chatty and you seem a genuine fan so good luck to you.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It's pretty scandalous that Newcastle manage to get away with putting away fans up there. Awful view and incredibly detached from the whole thing and gives you an unfair advantage at home over the rest of the league. And I'm afraid that if the Saudis had brought Brighton then I would have called it a day after 40 years so you really have sold your soul embracing them as you have done with little to no protest. That said, enjoyed my trip and you deserved your victory and all the Geordies we met were friendly and chatty and you seem a genuine fan so good luck to you.
This post took more emotional turns than most of our matches manage.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I know we like to back our players on here (which I like a lot) but let's not sugarcoat it, Van Hecke isn't good enough. He's had 2 stellar games this season, against Stoke and Middlesbrough. See the pattern?

Newcastle deserved their win, they were fantastic that first half but I'm mega gutted about the 2-0 goal (and not just because Dan Burn kneeslides while screaming "Let's f*cking go") because 1-0 at HT might've been something to work with.

When Undav gets that time and space he is a bloody good finisher, wonder if we can give him more service like that regularly. Like many others have mentioned, the injuries are brutal. How many teams would play as well as we do with 2 right backs, 2 centre backs, 2 midfielders and 2 wingers and 3 other starters that are unavailable or couldn't play 90? 3 signings already all but confirmed and it's not even June, RDZ and the board have identified the squad issues and are already dealing with it so hopefully next season will be better!

What's clear to me is this style of play will only work with the highest quality players, this means no Van Hecke, no Buonanotte, no leggy Welbeck and Mitoma. We need a strong, fit, regularly rotated team that can deliver this kind of football at the highest quality over and over again. I am proud of RDZ sticking to his guns 2nd half with the lineup and style of play and it shone through with 2-2 looking likely until Wilson went through in the 90th. We've got to remember that this team are probably the 3rd best team in England this season!

My train has almost arrived at Brighton, this post was a good way to spend the rest of my journey 😂

Agree with most of what you said but I can't believe you (and a bunch of others) have written off Buonanotte already. An 18 year old kid come half way around the world a few months ago, not speaking the language, playing in the toughest league in the world, expected to play in a totally new role and system and being thrown in at the deep end because we don't have the squad depth to give him the time to settle down.

How many years was Mac Allister here before he regularly played and got to his current level? He's already played more games than Caicedo did in his first year and a half, Caicedo was 6 months in before he got his first game and then went out on loan for 6 months.

But no, he's f-ing useless because he's not scoring worldies after being here for 4 months.

Get a grip people.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree with the first bit - might as well not have any away fans as far as the players are concerned. Shame, as it’s always a good trip up there. PBOBE was on our flight back, furiously hammering his laptop keyboard in his seat pre-takeoff. Presumably had another email complaint about bottle tops that needed to be urgently replied to.

NUFC1

May 16, 2023

Yeah, there is a rule that you have to have a section of fans pitch side but Newcastle (and Sunderland when they were in the Premier League) have exemptions due to safety, which let's be fair is boll*cks. The argument is it would entail fans mixing at the end, but I was at Elland Road last weekend and we were put straight out with the Leeds fans, who are a feisty bunch to say the least. There was no bother that I seen.

I suppose on the other hand if you split up the away fans (as has been mooted at St James' to allow a block pitchside) then the away fans are not together and to me that would take away the experience as an away fan. I've been to Oakwell before where we had some at the side and some behind the goal and it was rubbish - songs are not coordinated etc. So it's a double edged sword, though I took take your point for sure. Personally I prefer being higher up as I feel like you get to see the full game, but that's just personal preference. I do not enjoy walking up to Level 7 after a few beers!

Understand your points regarding ownership too and stand by what I said earlier; a state shouldn't own a football club, especially one as despicable as KSA. I would find it incredibly hard to walk away from something that gives me so much joy - win, lose or draw. But again that's just me and I could understand people voting with their feet.

Sadly, the precedent was set when Man City and subsequently PSG were bought by Gulf states. The Premier League should have never allowed our takeover to be passed, but were put under pressure from the British Government due to us being in bed with the Saudis. It stinks, but it will always be my club - they're just custodians for a period. Like any industry, money always wins. Sad but true.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Yeah, there is a rule that you have to have a section of fans pitch side but Newcastle (and Sunderland when they were in the Premier League) have exemptions due to safety, which let's be fair is boll*cks. The argument is it would entail fans mixing at the end, but I was at Elland Road last weekend and we were put straight out with the Leeds fans, who are a feisty bunch to say the least. There was no bother that I seen.

I suppose on the other hand if you split up the away fans (as has been mooted at St James' to allow a block pitchside) then the away fans are not together and to me that would take away the experience as an away fan. I've been to Oakwell before where we had some at the side and some behind the goal and it was rubbish - songs are not coordinated etc. So it's a double edged sword, though I took take your point for sure. Personally I prefer being higher up as I feel like you get to see the full game, but that's just personal preference. I do not enjoy walking up to Level 7 after a few beers!

Understand your points regarding ownership too and stand by what I said earlier; a state shouldn't own a football club, especially one as despicable as KSA. I would find it incredibly hard to walk away from something that gives me so much joy - win, lose or draw. But again that's just me and I could understand people voting with their feet.

Sadly, the precedent was set when Man City and subsequently PSG were bought by Gulf states. The Premier League should have never allowed our takeover to be passed, but were put under pressure from the British Government due to us being in bed with the Saudis. It stinks, but it will always be my club - they're just custodians for a period. Like any industry, money always wins. Sad but true.

A nice and reasoned post.

I think Newcastle used to be many peoples second team - maybe because it is a one city team , fanatical support and they never won anything ! :ROFLMAO: But nowadays no-one likes a sporting threat so get used to being disliked but get used to winning.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It must be a real kick to the balls, reasonably not wanting to walk away, whilst success will always be somewhat sullied; its a shame, with no good option, only least bad!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Having spent the day reflecting and thinking about it all, having sat through it and endured until the final whistle…

I knew it would be tough, I know how we ‘like’ to play… I recognise the brilliance of Roberto and those equally astonishing highs… this was a real low.

The locals were amazed (as they’ve repeatedly mentioned today) by our persistence at playing out, especially as it just wasn’t happening, we were extremely lucky it wasn’t four by halftime… maybe even five. Sluggish (knackered) weak in CM, poor positionally, poor in possession… lethally all over the place when chasing back… it was a incoherent jumble sale of a performance… yes, we had a lack of match ready partnerships, the legs are spent… we know this, yet we clearly expected to play our game in spite of the limitations therein… it was a time, a game, for a pragmatic plan b.

I thought I saw a chink of light, when we opened the second half with a (seemingly) refreshed approach to our goal kicks… the tempo seemed better, we looked like we might (unfairly) claim an unlikely point… the goal was good… a high point and some bluster followed, then for reasons I can’t fathom we reverted to playing out, lost impetus and, the triple change, further eroded our rhythm - Enciso aside, added little.

The implosion at the 89/90 mark was park level stuff, the following 4th near 5th was borderline embarrassing…

I was however proud to see our youngsters try so hard in very tough circumstances, I felt Van Hecke acquitted himself well, aside from his culpability for the third… BUT the game was lost in midfield.

For me, largely, fatigue was the biggest culprit - Roberto needs a plan b, or empower his players to make an in game decision to revert from type when the overwhelming evidence suggests plan a is frankly f***ed.

A very long and very tough night.

Good luck to Newcastle… they played well and deserved the three points.

Here’s hoping we find our rhythm and FAST vs the Saints.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I know we like to back our players on here (which I like a lot) but let's not sugarcoat it, Van Hecke isn't good enough. He's had 2 stellar games this season, against Stoke and Middlesbrough. See the pattern?

Newcastle deserved their win, they were fantastic that first half but I'm mega gutted about the 2-0 goal (and not just because Dan Burn kneeslides while screaming "Let's f*cking go") because 1-0 at HT might've been something to work with.

When Undav gets that time and space he is a bloody good finisher, wonder if we can give him more service like that regularly. Like many others have mentioned, the injuries are brutal. How many teams would play as well as we do with 2 right backs, 2 centre backs, 2 midfielders and 2 wingers and 3 other starters that are unavailable or couldn't play 90? 3 signings already all but confirmed and it's not even June, RDZ and the board have identified the squad issues and are already dealing with it so hopefully next season will be better!

What's clear to me is this style of play will only work with the highest quality players, this means no Van Hecke, no Buonanotte, no leggy Welbeck and Mitoma. We need a strong, fit, regularly rotated team that can deliver this kind of football at the highest quality over and over again. I am proud of RDZ sticking to his guns 2nd half with the lineup and style of play and it shone through with 2-2 looking likely until Wilson went through in the 90th. We've got to remember that this team are probably the 3rd best team in England this season!

My train has almost arrived at Brighton, this post was a good way to spend the rest of my journey 😂
your train took longer than the official coach.......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So the alternative was just to stay where he was, 100% keeping Wilson onside and Wilson be through on goal anyway?
No defend properly, and take a better position to start with.

It’s an experience thing and I’m sure he’ll make a better decision next time

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Having spent the day reflecting and thinking about it all, having sat through it and endured until the final whistle…

I knew it would be tough, I know how we ‘like’ to play… I recognise the brilliance of Roberto and those equally astonishing highs… this was a real low.

The locals were amazed (as they’ve repeatedly mentioned today) by our persistence at playing out, especially as it just wasn’t happening, we were extremely lucky it wasn’t four by halftime… maybe even five. Sluggish (knackered) weak in CM, poor positionally, poor in possession… lethally all over the place when chasing back… it was a incoherent jumble sale of a performance… yes, we had a lack of match ready partnerships, the legs are spent… we know this, yet we clearly expected to play our game in spite of the limitations therein… it was a time, a game, for a pragmatic plan b.

I thought I saw a chink of light, when we opened the second half with a (seemingly) refreshed approach to our goal kicks… the tempo seemed better, we looked like we might (unfairly) claim an unlikely point… the goal was good… a high point and some bluster followed, then for reasons I can’t fathom we reverted to playing out, lost impetus and, the triple change, further eroded our rhythm - Enciso aside, added little.

The implosion at the 89/90 mark was park level stuff, the following 4th near 5th was borderline embarrassing…

I was however proud to see our youngsters try so hard in very tough circumstances, I felt Van Hecke acquitted himself well, aside from his culpability for the third… BUT the game was lost in midfield.

For me, largely, fatigue was the biggest culprit - Roberto needs a plan b, or empower his players to make an in game decision to revert from type when the overwhelming evidence suggests plan a is frankly f***ed.

Gilmour wasn't showing signs of fatigue when he went off, Enciso doesn't seem look tired either.

I really don't see us starting Undav and Wellbeck , it doesn't really work.

We kept playing through to the middle then slowly out to the wing and everytime we did that they were able to get men back. Undav shows what he can i.e. finish yet we didn't play to his strength.

Very tired at the back so a) why play the more energy sapping passing game b) why not keep on Gilmour who looked to be fit and ready to do 90 mins.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Are you seriously suggesting we ditch Mitoma?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Everything I have heard from the players of the way Plan A works, it takes an enormous amount of concentration, drilling and repetition for every player to recognise the patterns and play the expected pass (together with very high levels of fitness for the press out of possession). As we have seen, we have the level of player to do it and our first 18, when fit and not exhausted could achieve unheard of things for the Albion over the course of a season.

I don't think that a plan B is the answer to our recent woes which I think most agree are primarily down to our schedule. I think the answer is to increase the number of first team ready players (even without Europe). But I also believe TB, PBOBE and RDZ are all way ahead of me on this with Enciso, Wee Billy, Buonanotte, JPvH, Offiah, Peupion, the loanees coming back and three new signings already. Just need to wrap up Europe in the next week and then we can start work on next season :thumbsup:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
View attachment 161030
Take out the World Cup winner* and that's an incredibly callow bench.

The average age has got to be around (maybe under) 20?!

*still weird saying that, particularly as he's only good enough for our BENCH :lolol:
It's been bugging me, so I thought I'd work out the average age of the bench last night. It turns out it's not as simple a calculation as I'd hoped, so I would be very happy to be corrected by anyone with a larger brain...

Average age of all nine is 20 years, 8 months (and 8 days)
Take out Alli Mac and it drops to 19 years 11 months (and 21 days) o_O

The DOBs are enough to make an aging man weep...

McGill: March 25 2000 (23 years, 1 month and 24 days or 8455 days old)
Alli Mac: December 24 1998 (24 years, 4 months and 25 days or 8912 days)
Ayari: October 6 2003 (19 years, 7 months and 13 days or 7165 days)
Enciso: January 23 2004 (19 years, 3 months and 26 days or 7056 days)
Ferguson: October 19 2004 (18 years, 7 months, 0 days or 6786 days)
Moran: October 15 2003 (19 years, 7 months and 4 days or 7156 days)
Offiah: October 26 2002 (20 years, 6 months and 23 days or 7165 days)
Peupion: September 23 2002 (20 years, 7 months and 26 days or 7543 days)
Samuels: February 5 2003 (20 years, 3 months and 14 days or 7408 days)

In the unlikely event that anyone's interested, my method was to take an average of the number of days old, then used an online calculator to tell me how many years, months and days that is.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

While you're here, you don't feel like recommending a pub in the centre of Newcastle for a pint of decent beer do you?
I'm up here semi regularly but always seem to find myself in the pub opposite the station or Wetherspoon-type places.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
It's been bugging me, so I thought I'd work out the average age of the bench last night. It turns out it's not as simple a calculation as I'd hoped, so I would be very happy to be corrected by anyone with a larger brain...

Average age of all nine is 20 years, 8 months (and 8 days)
Take out Alli Mac and it drops to 19 years 11 months (and 21 days) o_O

The DOBs are enough to make an aging man weep...

McGill: March 25 2000 (23 years, 1 month and 24 days or 8455 days old)
Alli Mac: December 24 1998 (24 years, 4 months and 25 days or 8912 days)
Ayari: October 6 2003 (19 years, 7 months and 13 days or 7165 days)
Enciso: January 23 2004 (19 years, 3 months and 26 days or 7056 days)
Ferguson: October 19 2004 (18 years, 7 months, 0 days or 6786 days)
Moran: October 15 2003 (19 years, 7 months and 4 days or 7156 days)
Offiah: October 26 2002 (20 years, 6 months and 23 days or 7165 days)
Peupion: September 23 2002 (20 years, 7 months and 26 days or 7543 days)
Samuels: February 5 2003 (20 years, 3 months and 14 days or 7408 days)

In the unlikely event that anyone's interested, my method was to take an average of the number of days old, then used an online calculator to tell me how many years, months and days that is.
Wow, I wonder if any PL team has had a bench with no players born after the Year 2000? We are mighty close there .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here