Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

axscott

Jan 10, 2022
I know we like to back our players on here (which I like a lot) but let's not sugarcoat it, Van Hecke isn't good enough. He's had 2 stellar games this season, against Stoke and Middlesbrough. See the pattern?

Newcastle deserved their win, they were fantastic that first half but I'm mega gutted about the 2-0 goal (and not just because Dan Burn kneeslides while screaming "Let's f*cking go") because 1-0 at HT might've been something to work with.

When Undav gets that time and space he is a bloody good finisher, wonder if we can give him more service like that regularly. Like many others have mentioned, the injuries are brutal. How many teams would play as well as we do with 2 right backs, 2 centre backs, 2 midfielders and 2 wingers and 3 other starters that are unavailable or couldn't play 90? 3 signings already all but confirmed and it's not even June, RDZ and the board have identified the squad issues and are already dealing with it so hopefully next season will be better!

What's clear to me is this style of play will only work with the highest quality players, this means no Van Hecke, no Buonanotte, no leggy Welbeck and Mitoma. We need a strong, fit, regularly rotated team that can deliver this kind of football at the highest quality over and over again. I am proud of RDZ sticking to his guns 2nd half with the lineup and style of play and it shone through with 2-2 looking likely until Wilson went through in the 90th. We've got to remember that this team are probably the 3rd best team in England this season!

My train has almost arrived at Brighton, this post was a good way to spend the rest of my journey 😂

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Awful lot of negativity on here. Even the best teams have bad days at the office.

With the possible exception of Man City I can’t think of one team that you could rely on to come up with the goods pretty much every game.

We played a scratch team with several young players and experienced players out of position (E.g.Caicedo).

The entire team played badly. Given the number of games where we’ve played wonderful football I think they can be forgiven a bad day at the office and to slate our younger players, particularly Undav, must be soul destroying for them.

Yes, he indirectly caused two goals but he’s a striker and very few of them are much good at defence. He’s looking to me like a potential match winner with his eye for goal.

Four goals in five games, given his limited game time, is excellent and they’ve all been terrific goals too. Welbeck, for all his qualities, is not a natural goal scorer.

With Undav and Ferguson I think we might, at long last, have found that elusive natural striker that we’ve been crying out for?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I know we like to back our players on here (which I like a lot) but let's not sugarcoat it, Van Hecke isn't good enough. He's had 2 stellar games this season, against Stoke and Middlesbrough. See the pattern?

Newcastle deserved their win, they were fantastic that first half but I'm mega gutted about the 2-0 goal (and not just because Dan Burn kneeslides while screaming "Let's f*cking go") because 1-0 at HT might've been something to work with.

When Undav gets that time and space he is a bloody good finisher, wonder if we can give him more service like that regularly. Like many others have mentioned, the injuries are brutal. How many teams would play as well as we do with 2 right backs, 2 centre backs, 2 midfielders and 2 wingers and 3 other starters that are unavailable or couldn't play 90? 3 signings already all but confirmed and it's not even June, RDZ and the board have identified the squad issues and are already dealing with it so hopefully next season will be better!

What's clear to me is this style of play will only work with the highest quality players, this means no Van Hecke, no Buonanotte, no leggy Welbeck and Mitoma. We need a strong, fit, regularly rotated team that can deliver this kind of football at the highest quality over and over again. I am proud of RDZ sticking to his guns 2nd half with the lineup and style of play and it shone through with 2-2 looking likely until Wilson went through in the 90th. We've got to remember that this team are probably the 3rd best team in England this season!

My train has almost arrived at Brighton, this post was a good way to spend the rest of my journey 😂
This style of play will burn out the best of players both physically and mentally. I really worry about Zerbiball as it depends on being able to keep 70% possession in defensive positions without errors. Errors are ok further forward but we leave ourselves so think at the back at times that any serious press on the defence and a swamping of midfield makes it impossible. My other fear is that our better players may not like this style of play and decide to cash in on their success and up sticks.
It is a great watch for the neutral and gives the opposition fans great hope in beating our style of play, but as a Brighton fan it will end up giving me a heart attack. Anyone else got concerns?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The good news is that our two main rivals for europe are playing teams who still have something to play for.
Our run in is easier than theirs.

Brentford and Liverpool can put us in a position to guarantee Europa League with a win on Sunday.
All to play for.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This style of play will burn out the best of players both physically and mentally. I really worry about Zerbiball as it depends on being able to keep 70% possession in defensive positions without errors. Errors are ok further forward but we leave ourselves so think at the back at times that any serious press on the defence and a swamping of midfield makes it impossible. My other fear is that our better players may not like this style of play and decide to cash in on their success and up sticks.
It is a great watch for the neutral and gives the opposition fans great hope in beating our style of play, but as a Brighton fan it will end up giving me a heart attack. Anyone else got concerns?
You’ve taken my post out of context, as @Icy Gull and I were talking about set piece delivery not RdZ ball…..

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Nothing wrong with De Zerbi ball. I think the players love it.
Far better to have 70% possession than to be chasing the ball all game.

The issue is that he has had to stick with a preferred 11 for too much of the season and Including cup games.
The squad we are looking to build for next season will be better equipped to cope

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The goal before half time was crucial I think if we go in 1-0 down and RDZ makes his changes we get something out of that game.

However I cannot criticise the players we were up against a team in top four with multiple players covering in unnatural positions supported by young players with little PL game time under their belts.

Regroup and get prepared for a crucial game Sunday where it sounds like we will have a few more options.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Dan Burn really pissed me off with his goal celebrations last night, boo material for me from here on :smile:

Joel Linton is a niggly confrontational moaning twat too and he loves staying down when tackled.

Loved Enciso’s cheeky behaviour against Almiron and Caicedo’s smirking after confrontations though
I'm not going to take anything away from BDB it was a moment for him, will forever remember that winner against Citeh

The rest are a timewasting produce of smug Eddie's offspring

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We have not really recovered from extra time and disappointment at Wembley have we?
Think it's a bit unfair to lay too much of what went wrong tonight on the players that have not played much. Eddie Howe had a plan, his players executed it well, and without being at full strength, we struggled.
Many times under Potter a team came to the Amex, and the away fans said that was their worst performance, not crediting Brighton with having stopped them being able to play their game. We came up against a manager who played us right, we were below the strength we have had most of the season, and that made it even tougher.
Lets give Newcastle and Howe a bit of credit for working hard and making it hard for us to be at our best.
Spurs too. Obviously we've played really well since, but that shocker and the Man U game has rather shot our already tired legs and fried us emotionally. Doesn't help we've got the three best teams in our last five games either. Last night was a bit different but I don't think the Everton game would have happened if VAR had done its job at WHL or we'd had a less physically and draining semi final.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Really disappointed as I can't stand Newcastle any more. I think it's the most over-rated 'fairytale' rise in history. Their fans were always fairly insufferable for a club that's won nothing in half a century so it's galling that we gave them a chance to gloat with such a sub-par performance. A real shame we couldn't face them at full strength. On that basis, drawing no conclusions from the result after a reasonable second half before the late collapse. Only real concern is that it may have been a glimpse of the future without Caicedo and Mac in central midfield. We clearly will need at least one very good signing to fill that likely void.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I do think though that Mac and Moises have to be starting every game. I know they had the WC too, but they're not going to be here next year and are two of our greatest ever players. You just say to them 'look boys I know you're tired, I know you're hurting, but it's four more games. That's it. Four games and you get your big move. Four more games and you're on the beach. Just one last massive effort'.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I do think though that Mac and Moises have to be starting every game. I know they had the WC too, but they're not going to be here next year and are two of our greatest ever players. You just say to them 'look boys I know you're tired, I know you're hurting, but it's four more games. That's it. Four games and you get your big move. Four more games and you're on the beach. Just one last massive effort'.
Worst comes to the worst, we’re only damaging them for next season’s owners.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
With RDZ the key is the defence. JP isn't as bad as some on here are making out. But when you have a nervous player, who is inexperienced and (in all honesty) probably doesn't have the passing ability or composure to do this at this level (yet?) the whole thing goes to pot. If you have a bad game higher up the field It doesn't matter as much under RDZ, because everything comes from the back. GK and CBs are our playmakers. They set the tone, dictate everything and make the key early decisions in our build up play. Dunk has nailed it. Pervis has nailed it. Veltman is getting better. But it's obvious to me that RDZ will see another CB and another RB, in his mould, as absolute priority over the summer.
It's important to remember that we do very little defending. But when do have to defend we are massively exposed. So you need players who are exceptional defensively but whose key attributes are composure and passing. We have between 60 and 70% of the ball and Dunk has had the most touches and made the most passes of any player in Europe. That's what is happening now.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's not so much the defeat, it's who it's too that rankles with me. I utterly despise the sports washers, the fact that at least on my twitter timeline their fans have been gracious in victory makes it even worse! Such a shame that their fanbase is now tainted by their despicable owners.

As for us, I'll not criticise the team, this final schedule which involves playing the top three whilst still needing something from those games would be testing enough for a full strength and rested side let alone one as understrength as ours. We did what we could but the Saudis had superior strength and they made it count with a well executed press that overwhelmed us. The better and stronger side won even if I thought the final scoreline was harsh.

Positives can be found in a more resilient second half performance where we finally pushed them and could maybe have snatched a draw from defeat. Good experience for the likes of Buonanotte (who very much needs the minutes to acclimatise to the PL), Offiah and Peupinion. I thought JPVH was ok, again these players are only ever going to learn with real match experience.

Sunday's win took a lot out of us. It looks to me that two full on performances in a row are a real stretch for this side right now given the ludicrous timetable we are working to. I think we win Sunday, lose Wednesday and hopefully nothing is riding on the Villa game.
Fair play to every fan that made it to the game last night an absolutely magnificent effort and we could hear you on the TV.

Roll on Sunday!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
If it were that simple, they’d be played and RDZ would have no hesitation but I would suggest it’s not.

These top players are literally the Club’s assets, not only does playing severely fatigued/underfit players risk potentially career changing injury for them but could have the effect of wiping millions off our investments if that happens.

It’s not just a decision RDZ would make alone, it’s down to a whole team of physios and the Club doctor to determine the match fitness level of players. In addition, not just the Club but players insure themselves/body parts against injury - I’m not a expert on Athlete insurance but I would hazard a guess that playing players when there is a foreseeable and unacceptable level of risk of injury ie when very fatigued/unfit to play 2 x 90mins in a week, could invalidate a potential insurance claim if that approach to ’managing’ their fitness level resulted in serious (ACL/Achilles etc) injury.

Even though players recover from these injuries, it’s often not to their full speed and ability they had prior ( not least leaving them with recurring issues on the original injury site)

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Van Hecke was alright but way to slow when he had space to bring ball out and ping quick passes.

With Mac out we needed Caicedo in CM as nothing was sticking.

Buonotte - way way off the level needed at the moment

The fact we had a sniff of a point for much of the second half was credit to the players who tried to stand up to a massive physical side. Game fell away at the end due to us pushing.

Reset , hope for some luck saturday and then a Cup final saturday .

Really dont want to have to go to villa needing anything

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
41 games for the skipper this season. Our best player last night.
Just 4 yellows in the league.

Only been subbed off twice, both times in cup games with the tie won. (Grimsby and Arsenal)
Deserves player of the season, but probably won't get it.
Player of the season and PL defender of the year if you ask me. Not an exaggeration to say if he'd had this season at Man City he'd be up for the Balloon d'Or.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here