Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle fans EMBRACE their new overlords

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Acceptance of a wrong and going along with sports washing of a regime is thankfully not on everyone’s radar. Dissent is allowed otherwise change may never happen. I’m baffled by your acceptance.
Acceptance?

Going along with?

Dissent?

I don't accept the Saudi regime. I would never travel there. But when The Albion play NUFC, I will be in there, supporting The Albion. You?

And more importantly, since you brought up the acceptance of sports-washing, what exactly are you doing to overthrow the Saudi regime? Because unless it is overthrown it will continue to be recognized. I fear you are conflating wider political issues with the will of the NUFC supporters here.

I'm all in favour of mockery and criticism of NUFC. But how will you up the ante? I'm all ears. No 'personal protests' though. Too easy. We can all 'boycott' the NUFC matches by staying at home, but we won't do, will we, though, and if we did, so what? I'm talking about real action that will effect change, not gesture politics.

(And before you raise the example of how peaceful protest against Archer save our club.....this was a righteous local cause that resonated with enough people to start a movement, and in the end the war was won with money. Archer lost neither the battle nor the war because his aim, to flog the Goldstone to add to his wealth, worked; any equivalent victory in the Newcastle context would be a return to UK ownership, not overthrowing the Saudi state. In that context, this is the business of Newcastle supporters, and if they are happy with Saudi ownership who are we to piss on their chips? The fight to save the Albion was simply that. It was not a war against capitalism).

Incidentally, nobody has mentioned this (below). Perhaps some look on enviously at how effective the Saudis are at 'controlling their borders'. And before you blast me with your haughty disdain, I am not remotely in favour of any of this. Perhaps it is time for a national campaign against Saudi involvement in British life. Do you think there is an appetite for this? Do you think that if the tories or labour made disinvestment with Saudi and nationalization of Saudi assets a central plank of their next manifesto this will sweep them into power? At the end of the day, it will take acts of parliament to make Saudi a rogue regime.

f*** me, we still have Russian money and influence in London. Evgeny Lebedev still owns the Evening Standard. "He derives his wealth from his father, Alexander Lebedev, a Russian oligarch and former KGB officer[4][5][6] who was put on Canada's sanctions list following the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine.[7]" Yet he was made a Baron by PM Johnson. What a f***ing country we live in.

And you still imagine I am letting the side down by not dissenting noisily enough over the Saudi ownership of NUFC? Sorry mate. When it comes to putting my kicking boots on, I prefer winnable wars. War has not even been declared here. I'll stick with mocking and booing the bar codes, but I'm not wasting any more energy than that. Still, if a dullard can find a way of unravelling the ownership of Newcastle (and Citeh) to show it up for what we imagine it is, I'm all for that. :thumbsup:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
No doubt that Albion struck lucky with Tony Bloom, arguably a better owner than probably any other (Man City a possible front runner there too, to be fair!).

I suppose the more valid question is that if we were still owned by the likes of Archer, playing non-league football at Gillingham, and then the Saudis or similar came along and said they wanted to invest in the club and build it back up again, how many would have turned them away and said ‘no thanks’?

We are lucky that we didn’t have to face that moral dilemma. It’s clear cut today to say ‘we prefer Tony Bloom to the Saudis’ but if it were a choice between Bill Archer or the Saudis it’s a different discussion I would think!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No doubt that Albion struck lucky with Tony Bloom, arguably a better owner than probably any other (Man City a possible front runner there too, to be fair!).

I suppose the more valid question is that if we were still owned by the likes of Archer, playing non-league football at Gillingham, and then the Saudis or similar came along and said they wanted to invest in the club and build it back up again, how many would have turned them away and said ‘no thanks’?

We are lucky that we didn’t have to face that moral dilemma. It’s clear cut today to say ‘we prefer Tony Bloom to the Saudis’ but if it were a choice between Bill Archer or the Saudis it’s a different discussion I would think!
Newcastle fans would claim that as a valid comparison. The rest of us look at Archer and Ashley and see it as completely bonkers. You do know how much Ashley spent at that club ? He also avoided selling St James’ Park.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Archer and Belloti sold the ground, left us bust, almost got us relegated to non league and out of existence.
Mike Ashley left a financially stable club, with no debt but "only" mid table in the PL.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Newcastle fans would claim that as a valid comparison. The rest of us look at Archer and Ashley and see it as completely bonkers. You do know how much Ashley spent at that club ? He also avoided selling St James’ Park.
My point is more that we are in a position to say thanks but no thanks to Saudi (or Chinese) money. If those guys had stepped in during the Archer/Belotti/Stanley years and there was no Dick Knight or Tony Bloom on the horizon, then it’s a much more difficult discussion.

I don’t claim to know whether Ashley was or wasn’t a good owner.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My point is more that we are in a position to say thanks but no thanks to Saudi (or Chinese) money. If those guys had stepped in during the Archer/Belotti/Stanley years and there was no Dick Knight or Tony Bloom on the horizon, then it’s a much more difficult discussion.

I don’t claim to know whether Ashley was or wasn’t a good owner.
But there is an implicit assumption in your argument that there is any equivalence between Archer and Ashley. There isn’t. Ashley bought relative success for the Geordies. He didn’t ruin their club and sell their ground. That wasn’t enough for Newcastle fans though. They want trophies and accorgingly have sold their souls. As a side point I genuinely don’t believe we would have accepted dodgy ownership of our club. We were bruised enough by Archer, and those of us who had stuck around at Gillingham and Withdean were just pleased to have a club and Dick Knight as chairman, even if that meant being in Leagues 1 and 2. We were always more interested in governance than success.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
But there is an implicit assumption in your argument that there is any equivalence between Archer and Ashley. There isn’t. Ashley bought relative success for the Geordies. He didn’t ruin their club and sell their ground. That wasn’t enough for Newcastle fans though. They want trophies and accorgingly have sold their souls.
Nothing implicit from my side. I am just commenting on the argument of taking on owners with questionable morals and saying that it’s not always ‘black and white’ (no pun intended). Actually, for the record, I rather liked Mike Ashley and think his model of prudence could be applied to plenty of clubs that outspend their income.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Nothing implicit from my side. I am just commenting on the argument of taking on owners with questionable morals and saying that it’s not always ‘black and white’ (no pun intended). Actually, for the record, I rather liked Mike Ashley and think his model of prudence could be applied to plenty of clubs that outspend their income.
But even then, Ashley spent very good money on players like Joelinton and Almiron

SAC

May 21, 2014
I saw loads of Newcastle fans on Twitter complaining about a banner in the away end for the game against Palace. Virtually all of them calling it jealousy. They just don’t get it. I can understand fans not mentioning the ownership, saying that it is out of their hands, but not actively celebrating the Saudi ownership.

The away end at The Sports Direct Stadium is so far away, no one would have known about the banner if Newcastle fans hadn't mentioned it.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Sports washing complete.

They got what they paid for.
I’m taking solace that is is only Newcastle, and who really cares what a bunch of backward northerners think?

Saudi have managed to sportswash part of the North East, not difficult seeming as the majority up there are unwashed themselves.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I’m taking solace that is is only Newcastle, and who really cares what a bunch of backward northerners think?

Saudi have managed to sportswash part of the North East, not difficult seeming as the majority up there are unwashed themselves.
Nice one for stereotyping the whole North ffs 🤦‍♂️ plenty of 'backwards' places down south too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here