Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle fans EMBRACE their new overlords

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That might be generational. Those of us that were around at the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean would move on. The younger PL fans ? Im not so sure they would be any different to the Geordies.

True and as one of them I would 100% move on or just give up on professional football

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Look how many people were on the against modern football bandwagon until we became modern football. Appreciate it's a slightly different scenario but I think for most people would be delighted if we got champions league football regardless of who the owners were just like the geordies.

That might be generational. Those of us that were around at the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean would move on. The younger PL fans ? Im not so sure they would be any different to the Geordies.
I think there's a lot of truth in those views. For myself, a fan for over 50 years and a lefty, I'd like to think I'd throw up my hands in disgust and go and support The Albion of Brighton and Hove or whatever the new fans' club would be called ..... but would I? After all I harrumphed about the Premier League - but now I love it and I don't want us to be anywhere else. And earlier I harrumphed about high prices and all-seater stadia - but now I've largely accept them. And recently I harrumphed about VAR ..... ok I still hate that but given time I'm sure I'll forget how much better the game was without it.

So if the Albion was owned by, say, the Chinese government, after my initial disgust and disappointment had eased a bit, would I really turn my back on the club? I'm honestly not sure. Hopefully I'll never have to find out.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
The fans will turn on the manager quite soon and eventually the owners.

The levels of entitlement up there in Horsepunching land are too high to be sustainable.

Nasty little club, of which their only saving grace is they embrace being a nasty little club and thrive on fat blokes writing that at 04:43.
Hopefully they’ll simply become a feeder club to one of the new super Saudi league clubs

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Hopefully they’ll simply become a feeder club to one of the new super Saudi league clubs
Looking more likely by the day actually. Saint-Maximin proposed transfer to one of the Saudis other clubs. Absolutely no chance of impropriety there then, what does the owner do? Have an argument with himself over the size of the transfer fee he needs to bank transfer in order to allow Newcastle to avoid FFP.....

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I think there's a lot of truth in those views. For myself, a fan for over 50 years and a lefty, I'd like to think I'd throw up my hands in disgust and go and support The Albion of Brighton and Hove or whatever the new fans' club would be called ..... but would I? After all I harrumphed about the Premier League - but now I love it and I don't want us to be anywhere else. And earlier I harrumphed about high prices and all-seater stadia - but now I've largely accept them. And recently I harrumphed about VAR ..... ok I still hate that but given time I'm sure I'll forget how much better the game was without it.

So if the Albion was owned by, say, the Chinese government, after my initial disgust and disappointment had eased a bit, would I really turn my back on the club? I'm honestly not sure. Hopefully I'll never have to find out.
My thoughts, too. Although - on your point about high prices - I have to say I think current ticket prices are very reasonable. I pay just under £30 a match for my seat in the North Stand, and away tickets are capped at £30. Compared to most live entertainment, that's not bad.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Looking more likely by the day actually. Saint-Maximin proposed transfer to one of the Saudis other clubs. Absolutely no chance of impropriety there then, what does the owner do? Have an argument with himself over the size of the transfer fee he needs to bank transfer in order to allow Newcastle to avoid FFP.....
Transfers between PIF backed Saudi clouds and Newcastle Utd need to be blocked pending an investigation. Anything else is unacceptable. I’m getting sick and tired of PIF teams bailing out EPL teams who have profoundly overspent on dross meaning that FFP is toothless.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I posted this a few days back elsewhere.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

“where fans can spend money without feeling shame of where the money is going”

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

“where fans can spend money without feeling shame of where the money is going”

Notice they’re all short sleeves, thieving Geordie b******s

Toongull

Jul 25, 2008
Hadrian's Wall
The fans will turn on the manager quite soon and eventually the owners.

The levels of entitlement up there in Horsepunching land are too high to be sustainable.

Nasty little club, of which their only saving grace is they embrace being a nasty little club and thrive on fat blokes writing that at 04:43.
They already have started to turn on Eddie. Bemoaning the lack of star signings. I definitely think he’ll be out the door by Xmas if Newcastle aren’t top of the league.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Was there a lot of dissenting voices up there when the new lot took over ?
How would it have been on here if the Saudis had taken over.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Life for Saudi’s of both sexes (sadly not for sexualities) and to a lesser extent for foreigners living in the country has improved drastically in the past couple of years with the new regime there. It’s still only from 2/100 to 15/100 on the ‘Hastings Seagull Freedom Scale’ so incredibly shitty, but potentially positive signs. That said they are developing new ways to be shitty with financials and turning to buying their own players from one owned club to another, so nobody can really focus on the beginnings of progress domestically. Is sports washing ACTUALLY having the opposite effect and causing the narrative to remain negative instead of being EXTREMELY CAUTIOUSLY optimistic?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here