Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle fan stabbed in Milan

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That Köln day was quite something, I work in Kings Cross station, wasn’t quite prepared to go on Lunch and find what seemed like a million German Ultras outside.
Another story is a friend and her fella went to Amsterdam a year for so ago from Berlin by train. They took the early morning train as it’s more relaxing than the plane. Only problem was Union were playing their first game in Europe and it was absolutely rammed with drinking, smoking Union fans blasting out techno and chanting for 6 hours :lolol: train was stopped numerous times enroute and was hours late.

They pinned their hopes on them all leaving the train before Amsterdam as they were playing in Rotterdam….but even more got on at the interchange :lolol:

They arrived for their weekend break tired, stinking of smoke and deaf from techno. They laugh at this now.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I really don't see any issues, Sussex's boys in blue will be all over this after years of practice with the top ultras from up the road.

What could possibly go wrong?

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
This is so weird.

Talk about creating a problem. I was looking forward to actually meeting some AEK fans. Isn’t that the opportunity? To build some sort of bridge.
Me too, and will probably head down in that general direction pre match. I think it’s necessary to have some sort of zone/meeting point pre match due actual numbers spending most of the day in town (as opposed to turning up 3 hours before kick off)
The police will probably suss out the general mood of AEK fans and segregate accordingly.
I’m all for a love in!

On the Newcastle topic, I don’t see hanging up a flag on a fence and standing round, even singing a few non offensive songs as provocative. I do see taking your clothes off and rolling about on the floor while groups cheer as the opposite though

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I really don't see any issues, Sussex's boys in blue will be all over this after years of practice with the top ultras from up the road.

What could possibly go wrong?

I swear I just googled this and it's made my morning:
1695192779447.png

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is so weird.

Talk about creating a problem. I was looking forward to actually meeting some AEK fans. Isn’t that the opportunity? To build some sort of bridge.
Just introduce yourself as Isambard. I'm sure you'll then get what you're hoping for.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Hope the bloke is ok. Sad to say if we had drawn Roma I'd have given a lot of thought about going due to the basically random pattern of stabbings you get with Italian clubs. It's one thing two set of meatheads deciding to take each other on, it's another when scarfers get knifed.
I went to Roma v Fulham in the Europa and it was fine apart from verbal abuse and a few projectiles being thrown at the bus on the way to the ground. It may have helped that we didn't win (save that for the home games, is my advice).

When we went to Juventus, the only fighting was between Fulham fans - in the ground.

RenboSlice

Sep 9, 2023
Huge assumption you're making there I'd say. I'd love to see a detailed blow by blow of the guy's (and I wish him all the best) antics leading upto this incident. Something tells me he wasn't taking in the local architecture and enjoying a couple of breezy aperols in the local pizzeria?

Face it, our fanbase simply doesn't have this element. There's going to be no big gathering of lagered up, topless white van men in their 40s and 50s in central Marseille next month being big and loud and making their presence known. I don't think there'll be any trouble at all.
Insane generalisations aplenty here

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
Me too, and will probably head down in that general direction pre match. I think it’s necessary to have some sort of zone/meeting point pre match due actual numbers spending most of the day in town (as opposed to turning up 3 hours before kick off)
The police will probably suss out the general mood of AEK fans and segregate accordingly.
I’m all for a love in!

On the Newcastle topic, I don’t see hanging up a flag on a fence and standing round, even singing a few non offensive songs as provocative. I do see taking your clothes off and rolling about on the floor while groups cheer as the opposite though
Not many do see it as provocative but the European ultra does and that's what to be cautious of. I'd be surprised if the Marseille trip is trouble free for everyone going

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Not many do see it as provocative but the European ultra does and that's what to be cautious of. I'd be surprised if the Marseille trip is trouble free for everyone going
May I politely ask if you're a BHA fan called Ryan, or some kind of Hitler Youth wannabe from Burgess Hill?! :lolol:

(I strongly suspect the former BTW and no offence meant by the latter option :) )

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I would be too.... I am not diluting the contributions of those in this thread who feel it will be akin to a romantic weekend city break, but the reality, in a football context, is quite different.

I have watched football in Liege, Milan, Rome, Lisbon, Porto and Berlin..... it won't matter how harmless and benign the Albion gatherings are, they will attract attention because they are gatherings.... any sign of conflict, no matter how minor, the local coppers will default to the assumption that the Englishmen are to blame.... batons will be the key feature of their responses.

My advice, find a local bar, make friends in there, even buy a few drinks for your new friends if appropriate, always works for us, low key is the name of the game..... until you get into the stadium, then sing your hearts out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who’s been raking their clothes off and rolling around?

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
We understand the English football fan abroad. Can have a laugh, can be a bit obnoxious but in the main it’s just “fun”. BUT to the locals I think they see it another way. It can be intimidating to men and women having to walk past these groups, so maybe the local “ultras” (hate that name) take it upon themselves to save face by bashing a few of ours. Not saying it’s right or wrong but it’s just how I see it.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
They’ve all moved to The Font now, unfortunately
Understandable really, the last place you'd expect to find Liverpool fans is in a pub called 'The King & Queen', the Anthem booing bastards. I'm sure they're all born and bred scousers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here