Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] New York Travel advice please

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
R4 You & Yours covered this last week. In the UK they’re unenforceable, simply don’t pay them.

They said Yanks are happy to pay them, as they don’t the British/European thing of carefully scrutinising and arguing over a bill.
That is very interesting, I need to look into this.

The problem is arguing the point, loads of hotels take it on check in

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That is very interesting, I need to look into this.

The problem is arguing the point, loads of hotels take it on check in
They were referring to the check out bombshell.

Skiing in France at Easter the hotel had this notice in a couple of prominent places and in checking out they gently persuade you to pay it. Apparently, these new services charges in the US, UK and continent do go to the staff one way or another. There’s a post pandemic labour shortage in hospitality, many folk in their 20’s and 30’s no longer want to work the unsociable hours. This top up is to pay them more and retain them.

The 4% was a lot of money, I decided to pay it, the staff were good. And didn’t do a tip.

Attachments

• IMG_4334.png
    IMG_4334.png
    421.8 KB · Views: 44

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They were referring to the check out bombshell.

Skiing in France at Easter the hotel had this notice in a couple of prominent places and in checking out they gently persuade you to pay it. Apparently, these new services charges in the US, UK and continent do go to the staff one way or another. There’s a post pandemic labour shortage in hospitality, many folk in their 20’s and 30’s no longer want to work the unsociable hours. This top up is to pay them more and retain them.

The 4% was a lot of money, I decided to pay it, the staff were good. And didn’t do a tip.

Vegas is a shambles at the moment, there is a lack of staff everywhere

Some places have a restricted menu as they don't have the staff, it wouldn't be such an issue if they didn't charge a lot more.

It's the same everywhere though, some people enjoyed not working a bit too much.

Jake_Tuff

Jan 31, 2012
I'd also recommend going to a bar and sitting at the bar; it's often a nice/interesting experience in the US as punters and bar staff often strike up conversation.
I second this. I lived in NYC for a while and dive bar culture is what I miss most. Pull up to a bar in the East Village and you usually get to meet some odd characters although that world is quickly dying out. My favorite was 7B on the corner of East 7th St and Ave B. It's a left over from the fun days.

It was featured in the cinematic masterpieces Godfather II and Crocodile Dundee II :D

Downside is it's a good walk from the closest subway.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Vegas is a shambles at the moment, there is a lack of staff everywhere

Some places have a restricted menu as they don't have the staff, it wouldn't be such an issue if they didn't charge a lot more.

It's the same everywhere though, some people enjoyed not working a bit too much.

That’s exactly what a couple of Frenchmen said to us. They explained their pandemic furlough payments system, generous. Now many young people just don’t fancy working, having a career, being an employee, getting up in the morning.

Unique times.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I second this. I lived in NYC for a while and dive bar culture is what I miss most. Pull up to a bar in the East Village and you usually get to meet some odd characters although that world is quickly dying out. My favorite was 7B on the corner of East 7th St and Ave B. It's a left over from the fun days.
You can end up on some quite random adventures as well. I sat at the bar in Motor City and later ended up at some dudes apartment with the singer of a NYC punk band, a guy from Earache Records and some German goth musician.

I was actually staying at former NSC poster Cesar Chaves’ apartment but he went home. He spent most of the night worrying how he was going to explain to my girlfriend how I was last seen leaving a bar with a 6ft black dude dressed as an urban cowboy (he was the singer).

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
You can end up on some quite random adventures as well. I sat at the bar in Motor City and later ended up at some dudes apartment with the singer of a NYC punk band, a guy from Earache Records and some German goth musician.

I was actually staying at former NSC poster Cesar Chaves’ apartment but he went home. He spent most of the night worrying how he was going to explain to my girlfriend how I was last seen leaving a bar with a 6ft black dude dressed as an urban cowboy (he was the singer).
To be fair, I've been on similar adventures on nights out in Darlington.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

May 25, 2023
Croydon
Any Philly recommendations?
We stayed in Old City for a couple of nights. Independence Hall was worth a look, although the tour is super short. We also visited Benjamin Franklin Museum which is great for kids (lots of hands on exhibits). Worth sticking your nose in Christ Church where Franklin is buried. Quite enjoyed just wandering around the city a little to be honest, much more chill than NYC.
Also quite liked the Barnes Foundation Museum, full of art by famous painters if you are into that sort of thing.
Definitely visit Reading Terminal Market for a bite to eat. Bassets Ice Cream and the Dutch Eating Place were great.

Toongull

Jul 25, 2008
Hadrian's Wall
Bloody hell, just looked up the price of the hop on hop off bus. £50 pp.
Walking from your hotel to World Trade Centre is over 3 miles. I would suggest taking a map of Manhatten and pinning places you wish to see and make two routes. Upper and lower Manhatten
For instance, walk to Grand Central Station, Times Square.
If you do the High Line then please visit Chelsea Market for lunch. https://www.chelseamarket.com/
Do 9/11 and lower Manhatten on the full day, maybe subway to the other side of Brooklyn Bridge and walk back across it, Staten Island Ferry (free), Wall St Bull (touch it's wobbly bits). When at 9/11 look for Robert Eaton on the alphabetical list, easily done. Be prepared to shed a tear, you wont be alone.
Went there last October and used the hop on bus, managed to haggle them down to £34pp so well worth speaking to them.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
My favourite spot in Manhattan is McSorley's Old Ale House. 15 East Second St.

There and Jimmy's Corner Bar on the edge of Times Sq. The late, great boxing trainer and cotman Jimmy Glenn was an absolute gentleman when the wife and I first went there in 1996. Sadly he passed away in 2020.
I lived in NYC for 12 years and Jimmy's Corner used to be a favourite of mine. Jimmy was indeed a great host as was his wife a lovely Russian lady who would always talk to you if you were sitting alone waiting for friends. It was a melting pot of different people just like NYC - all getting on with each other. Jimmy had a sign up "No politics" which made sense after a hard days work. It was also one of the narrowest bars in town with photos of many famous boxers on the walls. I believe his son took over for a while after Jimmy's death.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
I lived in NYC for 12 years and Jimmy's Corner used to be a favourite of mine. Jimmy was indeed a great host as was his wife a lovely Russian lady who would always talk to you if you were sitting alone waiting for friends. It was a melting pot of different people just like NYC - all getting on with each other. Jimmy had a sign up "No politics" which made sense after a hard days work. It was also one of the narrowest bars in town with photos of many famous boxers on the walls. I believe his son took over for a while after Jimmy's death.
I have fond memories of my visits. One of those great bars where strangers are just friends you haven't met yet and you realise that there's so much more that unites us as humans than divides us.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Given a choice between American Airlines and Virgin Atlantic for a NY round trip, which do people think is the better experience?

Never flown AA, haven’t flown Virgin for over 20 years. Prices are near identical.

Any views welcome….

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Given a choice between American Airlines and Virgin Atlantic for a NY round trip, which do people think is the better experience?

Never flown AA, haven’t flown Virgin for over 20 years. Prices are near identical.

Any views welcome….

Just booked my next trip and the BA route I normally take wasn't available, I went with Virgin (via Delta) on the way out and Virgin back. Blind faith at this point.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Any views welcome….
@Kinky Gerbils can definitely give you some views on Virgin Atlantic...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Any views welcome….
Virgin over AA (or Delta) all day long for me. AA are particularly bad if anything goes wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here