Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] New York Travel advice please

May 25, 2023
Croydon
Just returned from NYC and Philly at the weekend.
Been a couple of times previously and broadly agree with the advice given so far.
If you must go up the Empire State Building would definitely pre-book a ticket and consider whether buying the upgrade to skip the line might be a worthwhile investment.

I would throw my recommendation in for the Intrepid Air and Space Museum if you are in anyway geeky about planes or ships (easy to get to if you are staying in midtown). I also found Ellis Island to be interesting when visiting the statue of liberty, so perhaps that might be worth considering too.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Been a couple of times previously and broadly agree with the advice given so far.
If you must go up the Empire State Building would definitely pre-book a ticket and consider whether buying the upgrade to skip the line might be a worthwhile investment.

I would throw my recommendation in for the Intrepid Air and Space Museum if you are in anyway geeky about planes or ships (easy to get to if you are staying in midtown). I also found Ellis Island to be interesting when visiting the statue of liberty, so perhaps that might be worth considering too.
Another vote for Intrepid - and don't think you need to be overly geeky either. I went there with my missus and twin boys (just about 21 at time of visit) and we all thought it fascinating. The Growler sub was interesting if a little challenging moving through it if you are of larger/taller build, as you have to go through porthole type doors. Easy to get to if Midtown, as noted, and also if you are doing a HOHO bus as I think there's a stop nearby. Other than the aircraft carrier (which has a range of small planes and helicopters on it) it also has a space shuttle, and a Concorde.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Another vote for Intrepid - and don't think you need to be overly geeky either. I went there with my missus and twin boys (just about 21 at time of visit) and we all thought it fascinating. The Growler sub was interesting if a little challenging moving through it if you are of larger/taller build, as you have to go through porthole type doors. Easy to get to if Midtown, as noted, and also if you are doing a HOHO bus as I think there's a stop nearby. Other than the aircraft carrier (which has a range of small planes and helicopters on it) it also has a space shuttle, and a Concorde.
Wow…… A Growler sub….. what a name. I bet that goes down quick.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'd give the Statue of Liberty a miss - a waste of two-hours due to snail-pace queues when I did it; slow climb-up inside - like climbing inside a lighthouse - for a one-minute restricted view then down again.

Ground Zero you can walk round freely - but as you'd expect, it is absolutely harrowing; includes one of the fire engines used that day, twisted girders, recordings of personal phone calls, etc.

I strongly echo the recommendations to do: a) the High Line walk and b) Central Park.

In the evenings, Greenwich Village is the cultural hub for bars, live music, restaurants and impromptu street theatre (Washington Square Park) - friendly and absolutely buzzing (think Brighton's North Laine x 100).

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Could you see anything through the smoke (or had it not started at that stage?)?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Could you see anything through the smoke (or had it not started at that stage?)?
It only started yesterday (I live in New York)

Also status of liberty recommendation - if you want to see it but want to do it quickly/for free you can always take the ferry to Staten Island and back, which goes past it

May 25, 2023
Croydon
We were back before all that smokiness rolled in fortunately. Philly was starting to get a little smoggy on the Friday. But we lucked out on weather and conditions. 25C in NYC and a hot 30-32C in Philadelphia. Pic from Top of the Rock.
1686152658372.png

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As others have said, you get a good view from the Staten Island ferry, and if you go for one of the HOHO buses, they often have package deals which include the Liberty Ferry which will take you to Liberty Island, and Ellis Island, which could be a better/cheaper option than buying a ticket for the ferry from Battery Park/the official website, albeit you won't have statue options. While at Battery Park (which is close to Wall Street) look across the road (towards the Freedom Tower) and you'll see the Men In Black building!
We had one of those 'free' ferry tickets. Sadly they give priority to paying customers first and us freebies didn't get on. Waste of a couple of hours getting to terminal and queueing.

North Carolina Supporter

American Seagull
NSC Patron
As a former New Yorker, my recommendation would be to start by thinking of Manhattan as a rectangle that is ~10 avenues long and ~150 streets wide. Good to remember that 20 blocks = 1 mile. In other words, moving North-South between Central Park and 9/11 Memorial is about 70 blocks. The best places within this stretch are: The Edge at Hudson Yards if it’s a clear day, The Intrepid and Little Island (recent amazing walkable garden along Hudson River nearby), then The HighLine - which starts at Hudson Yards and ends at The Whitney- which is a fantastic art museum in the West Village along the Hudson… in fact, there is a walkable park that stretches all the way from Intrepid to the World Trade Tower… walking all that way would take an hour or so (from Intrepid to 9/11 Memorial) if you go to the Memorial- also see the new subway terminal- incredible architecture. If you want to see New York from a unique perspective- I highly recommend the boat cruise - they have brunch and sunset options. Not cheap, but not too expensive- and they launch from - you guessed it- the Hudson in Chelsea. I would not spend hours going to Statue of Liberty when you can see her from the other side of the Hudson. The Blind Tiger and White Horse Tavern are 2 good options for pints… both in West Village- 2 blocks from the Hudson.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Taking my daughter to New York On Monday for 5 days and will be there for her 21st. We had booked it for her 18th but Covid put a stop to it.

I have never been before, so really looking forward to it. She has it all planned out and I will just be following what she want's to do.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The view from our office window: View attachment 161928

I was visiting friends who live in Portland, Oregon in September 2020 when the western seaboard was struck by a host of wildfires. We had driven down to northern California and were making our way back up the coast. Unfortunately our trip was cut short because the smoke caused the campgrounds to be closed. We had to head back inland and then up the I5 back to Portland. This photo was taken in Oregon at about 4:20pm in September! The fire was to our right with the smoke being blown out to the Pacific. They are the most extraordinary conditions I've ever driven in:-

Oregon.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I struggled to find the Empire State Building. Are there any landmarks nearby I can use to find it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Diocletian

Feb 16, 2023
There are some great place to eat in NY which others on here can recommend but a couple of places which are really good are Katz's Deli and Keens Steakhouse (if you like steak) which has great history and decor.
Old pipes on the ceiling and the theatre programme when Lincoln was assassinated.
Best steak I have ever eaten.
Pub below is good too

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
100% this. But I prefer wandering around neighbourhoods in general anyway
Mrs Zef Lived in NYC for over 4 yerars, and has always said the same . . . 3 years before I met her everywhere I travelled that was 'alien' (virtually always work) you get walking, a road, a block, a little further, and explore . .you see, soak, and learn . . . everything. Food, bars, music, people, fun!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here