Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] New York Travel advice please

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
My daughter says if you are near Brooklyn then try Time Out Market for food and a wander around Brooklyn heights, great sunset views of Manhattan by Brooklyn bridge. Avoid Times Square - tourist trap. Get to Magnolia Bakery, the banana pudding is amazing! If time go see the Yankees play baseball or basketball.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very whistle stop. Don’t do the Statue of Liberty. Instead:

Top Of The Rock observatory, book ahead to get a just before sunset time, seeing everything including the Empire State lit up and the sunset.
The 9-11 Museum and memorial.
One World Trade Centre.

@Herr Tubthumper will be along to say visit two very expensive restaurants in West Village.

View attachment 161757
He he. Sadly The Spotted Pig has closed. It closed under a cloud as well. Very sad for everyone.

That said, Cafe Cluny for brunch and The Blind Tiger Ale House is still open.

Maybe some oysters and a pint of Harpoon IPA in Tavern on Jane as well.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Washington Square (Art Deco) Hotel in Greenwich Village was marvellous when we went a few years back...
I stayed there for a couple of weeks over Xmas and new year once. Was great.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Personally didn't get the High Line hype.

We were also short of time and took bikes round Central Park. Loved it.

Loved I think for:

- An eco paradise, in the middle of a megalopolis. A clever idea from clever locals. I’m into the type of planting and recognised special prairie flowers. Far better than lawns.
- An insight 25’ above ground into the West Side past and gentrified now.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Wife and I got a 2 day stop over in New York in August.
Will be there for ½ day, then full day then ½ day.

Wifey wants to do Statue of liberty, Tour of the city, Empire state building and Ground Zero.

Is this achievable?

Ground Zero, is this a place you can just get to an wander around or do you have to go on a tour?

Would appreciate any advice for those that been there .
I think all that is doable in the time you have available. Hop on / off bus is good ( unless there’s traffic snarl ups). We used metro a lot - gets you where you want to go quicker. Staten Island ferry was good for ticking the box for a quick view of Statue of Liberty. Ground zero was a highlight and very moving - you can spend just a short time there or several hours. As others have said, for a great view there are alternatives to the Empire State Building, but probably best to pre book ESB

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho

Attachments

• FB975455-955C-4240-BEF2-CCDB61192520.jpeg
    FB975455-955C-4240-BEF2-CCDB61192520.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51

Jul 7, 2003
If you want to take to the water, these guys are great - https://www.manhattanbysail.com/

You get just as close to the statue of liberty as the other tours but instead of fighting with dozens of others for a photo, there are only a small number of people on board so plenty of time for great photos and also a nice relaxing break from the hustle of the city.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Controversial perhaps, but just walk. I’ve spent many, many weekends simply ambling round NYC on numerous business trips…….rushing from one tourist ‘highlight’ to another might not give you the same experience as, say, an afternoon walking from Battery Park to Harlem, stopping many times for coffee and snacks. Jog/walk around Central Park early in the morning or late evening, same along the Hudson from 42nd st North.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Loved I think for:

- An eco paradise, in the middle of a megalopolis. A clever idea from clever locals. I’m into the type of planting and recognised special prairie flowers. Far better than lawns.
- An insight 25’ above ground into the West Side past and gentrified now.
The entire history of the High Line is fascinating as well, from its original build and usage, its decline, it’s dereliction, it’s potential removal to the local support and idea to convert it to a public space.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I went to the Chelsea Hotel to see where Janis Joplin gave Leonard Cohen “head on the unmade bed”
My Budweiser drinking mate went to the area where they shot the film Home Alone. We had very different tastes but still had great fun

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Controversial perhaps, but just walk. I’ve spent many, many weekends simply ambling round NYC on numerous business trips…….rushing from one tourist ‘highlight’ to another might not give you the same experience as, say, an afternoon walking from Battery Park to Harlem, stopping many times for coffee and snacks. Jog/walk around Central Park early in the morning or late evening, same along the Hudson from 42nd st North.
100% this. But I prefer wandering around neighbourhoods in general anyway

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Have you booked a hotel?
Check the hop on hop off bus route.
Statue. Do the free Staten Island Ferry. Takes you close to see the statue.
Empire State Building is a few hours. Book just to make sure.
Ground Zero is something you can walk around.
Staying at the Hyatt Grand Central
East 42nd street

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I went to the Chelsea Hotel to see where Janis Joplin gave Leonard Cohen “head on the unmade bed”
My Budweiser drinking mate went to the area where they shot the film Home Alone. We had very different tastes but still had great fun
I want t go there for the Sid , Nancy connection

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

We did just that last July. Chinatown, a museum called Tenement, Little Italy, from West Village to Grid Iron, quiet areas of Central Park, The Dakota, round the CBD, across Brooklyn Bridge and historic Brooklyn. 25,000 steps a day and I’m not svelte :). Got us talking to New Yorkers.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Bloody hell, just looked up the price of the hop on hop off bus. £50 pp.
Walking from your hotel to World Trade Centre is over 3 miles. I would suggest taking a map of Manhatten and pinning places you wish to see and make two routes. Upper and lower Manhatten
For instance, walk to Grand Central Station, Times Square.
If you do the High Line then please visit Chelsea Market for lunch. https://www.chelseamarket.com/
Do 9/11 and lower Manhatten on the full day, maybe subway to the other side of Brooklyn Bridge and walk back across it, Staten Island Ferry (free), Wall St Bull (touch it's wobbly bits). When at 9/11 look for Robert Eaton on the alphabetical list, easily done. Be prepared to shed a tear, you wont be alone.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I want t go there for the Sid , Nancy connection
We didn’t dare walk in, it didn’t appear welcoming to non residents (it didn’t appear welcoming to residents) Jake’s Tavern a few doors down gives an authentic NY b-movie style feel. You’re greeted with “wadda you want!” but it’s not really a question, more a sort of insult. It’s dank, dark and cheap. I enjoyed it

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Don’t forget to buy a cheap ‘dog’ and ‘cwafee’ from a street vendor. When I was there I ate half of mine and then shouted go go go and chucked rest in bin cop style as we dashed off somewhere next!

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
The Ground Zero museum is incredible but believe there are plans to close it (don't know ETA of this) but if open, WELL worth a visit. If not, make sure you still visit the twin tower memorial.

Another vote for Grand Central Terminal (NB not station!) which is definitely worth wandering around. In the main concourse area, look up at the ceiling - toward the front of the building you'll see a dark square. That was a result of the restoration of the Terminal, and shows just how dirty the ceiling was before they sorted it out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here