[Travel] New York Travel advice please

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Bloody hell, just looked up the price of the hop on hop off bus. £50 pp.
Walking from your hotel to World Trade Centre is over 3 miles. I would suggest taking a map of Manhatten and pinning places you wish to see and make two routes. Upper and lower Manhatten
For instance, walk to Grand Central Station, Times Square.
If you do the High Line then please visit Chelsea Market for lunch. https://www.chelseamarket.com/
Do 9/11 and lower Manhatten on the full day, maybe subway to the other side of Brooklyn Bridge and walk back across it, Staten Island Ferry (free), Wall St Bull (touch it's wobbly bits). When at 9/11 look for Robert Eaton on the alphabetical list, easily done. Be prepared to shed a tear, you wont be alone.
Thank you !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Ground Zero museum is incredible but believe there are plans to close it (don't know ETA of this) but if open, WELL worth a visit. If not, make sure you still visit the twin tower memorial.

Another vote for Grand Central Terminal (NB not station!) which is definitely worth wandering around. In the main concourse area, look up at the ceiling - toward the front of the building you'll see a dark square. That was a result of the restoration of the Terminal, and shows just how dirty the ceiling was before they sorted it out.

It is.

Honouring the deceased at the memorial is a totally different experience. The museum gives the back story to individual lives on the day, including the amazing emergency services.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
For those who are interested in shopping at decent prices (or their other half is) and you have the time, The Mills At Jersey Gardens (in Elizabeth, NJ) is worth at least a few hours of your time. You can get an express bus from the Port Authority that stops there (and doesn't take long - I seem to remember half an hour?), that returns to the Port Authority. Easiest to get a return ticket at the windows in the Port Authority; buses are frequent, and it's a big outlet/shopping mall, undercover, with a food court too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For those who are interested in shopping at decent prices (or their other half is) and you have the time, The Mills At Jersey Gardens (in Elizabeth, NJ) is worth at least a few hours of your time. You can get an express bus from the Port Authority that stops there (and doesn't take long - I seem to remember half an hour?), that returns to the Port Authority. Easiest to get a return ticket at the windows in the Port Authority; buses are frequent, and it's a big outlet/shopping mall, undercover, with a food court too.

The very helpful @Kinky Gerbils recommended the premier outlets Woodbury Common mall, one hour from Times Square up the Hudson direction. Pre-book the bus, from Times Square. Great bargains, all the brands and sign up once you get there for further significant discounts.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The very helpful @Kinky Gerbils recommended the premier outlets Woodbury Common mall, one hour Times Square up the Hudson direction. Pre-book the bus, from Times Square. Great bargains, all the brands and sign up once you get there for further significant discounts.
Yep, worth a visit if shopping is your thing, along with NJ as stated (no or lower sales tax in NJ on certain items including clothing so everything is cheaper than in Manhattan)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My daughter says if you are near Brooklyn then try Time Out Market for food and a wander around Brooklyn heights, great sunset views of Manhattan by Brooklyn bridge. Avoid Times Square - tourist trap. Get to Magnolia Bakery, the banana pudding is amazing! If time go see the Yankees play baseball or basketball.
The ice cream parlour on the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge is a must for a longer visit.
Anyone visiting ground zero should look for the Oculus which is a feat of modern engineering.
So much to see, so little time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd also recommend going to a bar and sitting at the bar; it's often a nice/interesting experience in the US as punters and bar staff often strike up conversation.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
My favourite spot in Manhattan is McSorley's Old Ale House. 15 East Second St.

There and Jimmy's Corner Bar on the edge of Times Sq. The late, great boxing trainer and cotman Jimmy Glenn was an absolute gentleman when the wife and I first went there in 1996. Sadly he passed away in 2020.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
My only tip is to double check when booking a hotel, loads have started to charge Vegas style resort fees, annoying when you get there and have to pay another £30 a day

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My only tip is to double check when booking a hotel, loads have started to charge Vegas style resort fees, annoying when you get there and have to pay another £30 a day

R4 You & Yours covered this last week. In the UK they’re unenforceable, simply don’t pay them.

They said Yanks are happy to pay them, as they don’t the British/European thing of carefully scrutinising and arguing over a bill.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Wife and I got a 2 day stop over in New York in August.
Will be there for ½ day, then full day then ½ day.

Wifey wants to do Statue of liberty, Tour of the city, Empire state building and Ground Zero.

Is this achievable?

Ground Zero, is this a place you can just get to an wander around or do you have to go on a tour?

Would appreciate any advice for those that been there .

It's achievable for sure, just plan your days in advance and book tickets ahead so you can avoid lines.

As others have said, Rockefeller Center is great as you get some fantastic views and can see the Empire State Building. You could do one or the other but there's no reason you couldn't do both; one in the daytime and one in the evening.

You can get good views of the Statue of Liberty from the waterfront so don't necessarily need to go to Liberty Island. If you do want to, you can take a ferry there and then also from there on to Ellis Island where they have the immigration museum, which is very interesting. You can get some good photos of the City from Liberty Island. Go early in the morning as it will get very busy throughout the day. Alternatively, you could take the Staten Island Ferry (which I think is free) and you will get a decent view of the Statue of Liberty as you pass it,

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
With reference to the Statue Of Liberty, the general public can't go into the torch these days. You CAN buy a ticket to go in the crown BUT you need to book this well in advance (popular dates/times can sell out VERY early). However, having done this myself I'd advise you don't bust a gut to do this if you are struggling to find a suitable date/time slot. The crown is tiny, and the view isn't really much different from what you can see from around "her" feet. It's also a tight, steep spiral staircase to get up there, and back down too. Due to the steepness, going back down backwards felt safer.

As others have said, you get a good view from the Staten Island ferry, and if you go for one of the HOHO buses, they often have package deals which include the Liberty Ferry which will take you to Liberty Island, and Ellis Island, which could be a better/cheaper option than buying a ticket for the ferry from Battery Park/the official website, albeit you won't have statue options. While at Battery Park (which is close to Wall Street) look across the road (towards the Freedom Tower) and you'll see the Men In Black building!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'd also recommend going to a bar and sitting at the bar; it's often a nice/interesting experience in the US as punters and bar staff often strike up conversation.
Mrs Jakarta wasn't so well on her first night in NY so left her in bed to watch the late night NFL Sunday Game. The Giants were playing so obviously it drew a crowd in the Bar I went into - served some very nice proper beers but can't remember the name of the place. Sat down, said hello to the locals, mentioned it was a shame Phil Simms was no longer at quarterback for them and the atmosphere completely changed. As in he's English and knows about the game. Shamefully I watched the whole game over several beers while discussing the NFL with my new buddies before I wobbled back to the Hotel where luckily Mrs Jakarta was sound asleep. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports