Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New signings...

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
The Shape Shifter has stated our budget is slightly up on last year. What is not clear if that is wages or buying budget.

if that's true, then I think we would have signed Bridge. Im not so sure, unless the club are just great at keeping targets close to their chest, then I think we are in for a couple in on loan.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I thought the transfer and wages budgets were now in one pot together? They were separate when He Who Must Not Be Named left. At least that is what our previous manager said, anyway. But I may be wrong.

So we could sign a player for £1m with wages of 500,000 a year or a player on a free with wages of 1.5m a year and it would come from the same pot? Thats interesting if its true as you'll attract the out of favour (Bridge, Upson, PIG) and not have to compete with the big spenders with parachute payments that way.

edit: Answer to Chucky above i think i have seen a figure in the mid-20's for Bridges weekly wages, up from the 10k we paid (down from the 90k+ in total) last season. But that was in the no-manager, Burke doing all the talking, July limbo land which may have affected his decision.

Last edited:

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
If that's true we have a MASSIVE amount left.

Not so sure now, I thought the same until others on here pointed out that for example Ulloa for £2m on a 4 year deal gets spread across the books for the duration of his contract, ie £500k a year. If that's the case then I doubt we have as much as some think.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You missed out Dobbie and Harley and we don't know of March Ince and JFC are ready. They've been in partially due to injuries/us being short on midfielders.

Yep your right, I missed them two out, but it was an easy mistake to make seeing as they contributed sweet fa to our season, so don't need replacing....Jesus, it makes you realize when you reel off the names' just how much shite Poyet spunked money on......sorry, I couldn't resit, but he did waste a shed load of cash. Harley/Dobbie/Vicente, there is a shite load of wages on them three, not to mention probably well over a million on transfer fees on Dobbie and Harley who he chased for ages....Didn't Bozza say Dobbie was top earner at club??? What a panic buy that was, let's hope we don't go down that road again at 10.30 pm on deadline day.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Yep your right, I missed them two out, but it was an easy mistake to make seeing as they contributed sweet fa to our season, so don't need replacing....Jesus, it makes you realize when you reel off the names' just how much shite Poyet spunked money on......sorry, I couldn't resit, but he did waste a shed load of cash. Harley/Dobbie/Vicente, there is a shite load of wages on them three, not to mention probably well over a million on transfer fees on Dobbie and Harley who he chased for ages....Didn't Bozza say Dobbie was top earner at club??? What a panic buy that was, let's hope we don't go down that road again at 10.30 pm on deadline day.

You have to be googling googling me?!?!? Seriously? What a complete waste of money. I am actually shocked at that. :wozza:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

How could he chase a panic buy for ages?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dobbie was very good at this level having played for Blackpool & Swansea in the playoffs. He did well for Palace but it didn't work out for us. I was pleased when we got him but disappointed in his games for us. We got his transfer money back in January so just lost wages for 4.5 months until Palace took him.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
if that's true, then I think we would have signed Bridge. Im not so sure, unless the club are just great at keeping targets close to their chest, then I think we are in for a couple in on loan.

Our wages bill last year was 14m for all staff at the club. To sign Wayne Bridge would have cost us 1m+ in wages a year. That is a big chunk of the budget gone on one player.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Dobbie was very good at this level having played for Blackpool & Swansea in the playoffs. He did well for Palace but it didn't work out for us. I was pleased when we got him but disappointed in his games for us. We got his transfer money back in January so just lost wages for 4.5 months until Palace took him.

I agree, I remember being excited when I heard we had signed him, but something went wrong very quickly between the player and the manager. I will never forget Dobbie walking off the Amex pitch after being subbed and Poyet not even looking him in the eye or offering a hand or an arm round the shoulder,,,,nothing...and this was less then a month after he signed. Knowing a players personality and if he suits a manager is every bit as important as the players ability, if you want to get the best out of him....Funny really as I am not aware of him being a problem player anywhere else!!!!!..But then he wouldn't be the first person to fall foul of making the mistake of crossing Poyet.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Our wages bill last year was 14m for all staff at the club. To sign Wayne Bridge would have cost us 1m+ in wages a year. That is a big chunk of the budget gone on one player.

Can't be all staff, maybe the playing budget. There are a lot of high earners employed by the club,,,very high earners and I'm not referring to players. Poyet was on a million a year, if his buy out clause was anything to go by.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Can't be all staff, maybe the playing budget. There are a lot of high earners employed by the club,,,very high earners and I'm not referring to players. Poyet was on a million a year, if his buy out clause was anything to go by.

It can, and it is. Check the accounts for 2011-12, the most recently available. Total staff costs (which includes wages & salaries, social security costs and pension costs) were 14.7 million. The average monthly number of employees: 56 players and 122 management and admin.

And it was more than DOUBLE the figure for the last year at Withdean.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Palace seem to be signing strikers left, right and centre. Maybe we could get Murray back, and then a big chunk of NSC might be happier...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I acknowledge that Dobbie was a panic buy, but he also made plenty of excellent signings (Kusz, Upson, Bridge, Orlandi, Lopez, Ulloa), didn't he Kev?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Palace seem to be signing strikers left, right and centre. Maybe we could get Murray back, and then a big chunk of NSC might be happier...

You can have him on loan until Christmas :thumbsup:

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I wonder if a chunk of the budget has gone on paying off people like Harley (one of the higher earners apparently) and Toby (surely a low wage player)

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham

Yeah but there all shit
CHAMAKH on the verge of signing FFs I'd rather have Billy Painter than CHAMAKH,(14 goals in 70 apps) 3 goals in the last 3 prem seasons complete misfit at Arsenal & West ham

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yeah but there all shit
CHAMAKH on the verge of signing FFs I'd rather have Billy Painter than CHAMAKH,(14 goals in 70 apps) 3 goals in the last 3 prem seasons complete misfit at Arsenal & West ham

And presumably EATS wages.

Let's not have this thread derailed by the goons though.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Not so sure now, I thought the same until others on here pointed out that for example Ulloa for £2m on a 4 year deal gets spread across the books for the duration of his contract, ie £500k a year. If that's the case then I doubt we have as much as some think.

Correct, that's how player transfer fees are accounted for

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here