Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New rule interpretations

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Just come back from watching Crawley vs Bradford - at first I thought ref was being over the top until a bloke pointed out new rules. At least 2 players booked as part of group approach on ref (one each side), one member of each coaching staff booked (at different times), another one for kicking ball away at fee kick, the others were for old fashioned hard tackles. Then 9 mins added time in first half (was a clash of heads) and 6 mins in second - so season is going to be interesting if players don’t think

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
At Tranmere today 6 minutes added on at end of 1st half and 9 minutes at the end. No major incidents but a few niggly bits of time wasting properly accounted for. Last year there would probably have been 5 minutes in total rather than 15. I feel like I’ve been gifted an extra 10 minutes of live football so feeling very smug. My advice to the Amex early leavers is to hang on at least until 90 minutes this season otherwise you might miss two or three injury time goals.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I remember reading post World Cup that players are finely tuned towards about 47 minutes in the first half and around 50 minutes or so in the second half. Obviously the club will know this, but I expect a lot more player management/late subs to ensure no late pulled muscles/fatigue injuries as games meander into 10+ minutes of second half injury time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The current goal kick routine for a keeper whose team is winning narrowly going into the last ten minutes is currently thus: shout at team mates, point randomly up the pitch a bit, summon defenders back on the pretence that you're going to go short, wave them away because you then unexpectedly decide to go long, spot and re-spot the ball a couple of times, flick some grass away from next to the ball, survey the scene again, spit on your gloves, tap each boot on the grass once, adjust socks, wipe your brow, have a look around again, cup your hand to your ear in the pretence that you haven't quite heard what the ref was saying to you, raise hand theatrically and nod in acknowledgement that he's actually telling you to get on with it, shout some more, point a bit, tap the boots again, run up, nearly kick the ball, hold hand up in apology again because the team mate you intended to kick it to has moved position by four inches, lightly jog back to your starting point and then launch it.

The idea behind these rules is that the players will eventually realise that all this shit achieves nothing as the time will be added on (and then some), and hopefully stop the dicking about. I don't buy it that games are going to suddenly be more exhausting for the players due to the extra time, because for much of the 90 minutes before the added time was put on, they were standing around doing nothing anyway while the keeper went through his routine above, or the opposition made a series of prolonged substitutions, or a goal celebration took two minutes to complete. The literal point of adding the time on is to ensure spectators get to see some action, not a bunch of players standing around while a left back pretends he hasn't heard exactly what the referee just told him and holds the game up, just to check.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Have they been stopping clock when goal scored

No, the clock doesn't get stopped.

The actual celebration time should now be added on at the end of the game

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I presume with all the added minutes that will occur this season that all the train/bus timetables will need to be reconfigured and as for Final Score on the TV how long will it run for? I'm used to it being 1755hrs (CEST) and the announcement of 'a late score just in' but this is going to be ridiculous this season. Will the BBC reschedule, will programmes be running late every week?

I followed the Northampton v Stevenage game yesterday, 8 mins added first half and 15 minutes added to the second - 23 minutes 'late' finishing and according to comments no particular time wasting. It's going to be fun!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Soccer Saturday went the 'classifieds' at about 17.05 (BST) yesterday. There were still loads of latest scores at that time

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The current goal kick routine for a keeper whose team is winning narrowly going into the last ten minutes is currently thus: shout at team mates, point randomly up the pitch a bit, summon defenders back on the pretence that you're going to go short, wave them away because you then unexpectedly decide to go long, spot and re-spot the ball a couple of times, flick some grass away from next to the ball, survey the scene again, spit on your gloves, tap each boot on the grass once, adjust socks, wipe your brow, have a look around again, cup your hand to your ear in the pretence that you haven't quite heard what the ref was saying to you, raise hand theatrically and nod in acknowledgement that he's actually telling you to get on with it, shout some more, point a bit, tap the boots again, run up, nearly kick the ball, hold hand up in apology again because the team mate you intended to kick it to has moved position by four inches, lightly jog back to your starting point and then launch it.

The idea behind these rules is that the players will eventually realise that all this shit achieves nothing as the time will be added on (and then some), and hopefully stop the dicking about. I don't buy it that games are going to suddenly be more exhausting for the players due to the extra time, because for much of the 90 minutes before the added time was put on, they were standing around doing nothing anyway while the keeper went through his routine above, or the opposition made a series of prolonged substitutions, or a goal celebration took two minutes to complete. The literal point of adding the time on is to ensure spectators get to see some action, not a bunch of players standing around while a left back pretends he hasn't heard exactly what the referee just told him and holds the game up, just to check.
Twat keeper on Friday was booked the first time he did one tenth of that.

I laughed.

Martinez is finished. FINISHED!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I assume the new rules don't apply to pre season friendlies?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I assume the new rules don't apply to pre season friendlies?

They said in commentary yesterday that there was an agreement for yesterdays game to have no injury time

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
think people are going to be frustrated and disappointed when they find all this time added on means 10 more minutes of shithousery from some teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here