Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New rule interpretations

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Watching Stains vs Massive last night, it was clear that kicking the ball away and other forms of time wasting got an instant card. A keeper was booked the first time he did the Martinez shuffle. And at the end of each half, international competition-style time added on was used. I think there were 17 minutes of added on time in total last night, in a game that may have had 5 mins total added on last season (no lengthy injury breaks, penalties or other tomfoolery).

The question is whether this will transfer to the EPL and, if so, how long it will take before the refs panic and go back to their previous gloriously-capricious and inconsistent selves.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Watching Stains vs Massive last night, it was clear that kicking the ball away and other forms of time wasting got an instant card. A keeper was booked the first time he did the Martinez shuffle. And at the end of each half, international competition-style time added on was used. I think there were 17 minutes of added on time in total last night, in a game that may have had 5 mins total added on last season (no lengthy injury breaks, penalties or other tomfoolery).

The question is whether this will transfer to the EPL and, if so, how long it will take before the refs panic and go back to their previous gloriously-capricious and inconsistent selves.
When one of the Big 6 lose a 1 goal lead in the 103rd minute.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

Funny, I’ve just sent the following on a group chat I’m on.

There were 9 additional minutes lumped on at the end of the Stains game last which is consistent with the new directive for the refs to stop the watch for more hold ups in play. Although there weren’t any further goals scored in those 9 mins, Stains did get their winner in the 87th minute.
If the new directive is applied consistently, this could be a nice little earner for backers of Overs from, say, the 85th minute when the odds will, generally, be starting to become worthwhile to back 3/1+etc), particularly in games where it’s still level. At this stage (85th minute), the odds compilers probably won’t have much (if any) idea as to how much additional time there will be in any given game. Once this is known (usually in the 89/90th minute), they’ll adjust the odds accordingly and there will be less value the longer the additional time is. But, if you back the Overs in, say, the 85th minute, you could have up to 15 mins or so for that goal to come in. Obviously, for matches involving more ‘free scoring teams’ - City, etc, the odds at 85 mins won’t be as great as they would be at, say, Newcastle v Villa, but there could be a few quid to be made.
Talking of Villa, how are they going to cope with an extra 30 minutes at the end of each game 😂

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Funny, I’ve just sent the following on a group chat I’m on.

There were 9 additional minutes lumped on at the end of the Stains game last which is consistent with the new directive for the refs to stop the watch for more hold ups in play. Although there weren’t any further goals scored in those 9 mins, Stains did get their winner in the 87th minute.
If the new directive is applied consistently, this could be a nice little earner for backers of Overs from, say, the 85th minute when the odds will, generally, be starting to become worthwhile to back 3/1+etc), particularly in games where it’s still level. At this stage (85th minute), the odds compilers probably won’t have much (if any) idea as to how much additional time there will be in any given game. Once this is known (usually in the 89/90th minute), they’ll adjust the odds accordingly and there will be less value the longer the additional time is. But, if you back the Overs in, say, the 85th minute, you could have up to 15 mins or so for that goal to come in. Obviously, for matches involving more ‘free scoring teams’ - City, etc, the odds at 85 mins won’t be as great as they would be at, say, Newcastle v Villa, but there could be a few quid to be made.
Talking of Villa, how are they going to cope with an extra 30 minutes at the end of each game 😂
Bookies only need to be stung once and they'll adjust the odds from the 60th minute......they don't like losing

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i do fear they will over do it on the timewasting. was this really the biggest issue in football, compared to say diving, persistent fouling and general gamesmanship that goes unpunished?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Before we get into the interpretation of new rules, is there a thread outlining what the new rules are?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thanks. But that's about a rule (singular), as opposed to the new rules (plural).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thanks. But that's about a rule (singular), as opposed to the new rules (plural).
Huh, I remembered more being discussed in that thread.

Here are the dry, official changes (interestingly it includes "Clarification that the senior team coach present in the technical area cannot be sanctioned for an offence committed by an ‘unidentified’ player" - does that mean De Zerbi shouldn't have been punished for the Spurs melee? It's noted as a 'clarification' rather than a change)

Here is a more narrative explanation

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Huh, I remembered more being discussed in that thread.

Here are the dry, official changes (interestingly it includes "Clarification that the senior team coach present in the technical area cannot be sanctioned for an offence committed by an ‘unidentified’ player" - does that mean De Zerbi shouldn't have been punished for the Spurs melee? It's noted as a 'clarification' rather than a change)

Here is a more narrative explanation
Pickford won't be happy with the photo and caption!!

1691239631480.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i do fear they will over do it on the timewasting. was this really the biggest issue in football, compared to say diving, persistent fouling and general gamesmanship that goes unpunished?
You've not seen us play Villa, then? ???

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The thing is that as players adapt to the new rules then likely injury time will come down as the realisation that wasting time will be ineffective and whilst part of it is to break up the play, if players are getting booked and accumulating too many yellows then the bans will kick in earlier in the season and again, hopefully the desired effect is that players will refrain from the negative tactic!! We can but hope.

singing4seagulls

Apr 2, 2017
I'll give you my take -

A extra 15 mins per game, is going to cause havoc on injuries and squad depth.

It may not seem like much, but this can easily be an extra 20% of effort and running per game. Players are already exhausted at the end of games and we know injuries mount up through the season due to exhaustion.

Hell, we had Dunk and others playing through injuries last season. We've now got extra Europe games as well as 20% more playing time.

When your muscles are tired at the end of games, you're more likely to get injured, cramp etc. Likewise there's the cumulative extra effort over the season as it takes longer to recover, whilst small niggles will turn into larger issues.

So I think we're going to see more injuries and need a larger squad. But, importantly, I think it will not be proportional to extra mins played, due to this putting more players into the "danger zone" where they play past their normal limits where muscles are exhausted and more susceptible to injury and fatigue.

Meaning, if across the season we play 20% more minutes, I think you'll see more like 30% more injuries.

For us, adding in extra Europe games as well, I can't help but feel we need a few more players in the squad...

Kudus needed. Defence still not strong enough. Whilst Undav still feels like a loss.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here