Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New rule interpretations

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I'll give you my take -

A extra 15 mins per game, is going to cause havoc on injuries and squad depth.

It may not seem like much, but this can easily be an extra 20% of effort and running per game. Players are already exhausted at the end of games and we know injuries mount up through the season due to exhaustion.

Hell, we had Dunk and others playing through injuries last season. We've now got extra Europe games as well as 20% more playing time.

When your muscles are tired at the end of games, you're more likely to get injured, cramp etc. Likewise there's the cumulative extra effort over the season as it takes longer to recover, whilst small niggles will turn into larger issues.

So I think we're going to see more injuries and need a larger squad. But, importantly, I think it will not be proportional to extra mins played, due to this putting more players into the "danger zone" where they play past their normal limits where muscles are exhausted and more susceptible to injury and fatigue.

Meaning, if across the season we play 20% more minutes, I think you'll see more like 30% more injuries.

For us, adding in extra Europe games as well, I can't help but feel we need a few more players in the squad...

Kudus needed. Defence still not strong enough. Whilst Undav still feels like a loss.

Or, players realise that time wasting is futile and stop doing it, resulting in a return to the current average length of additional time. Which is what this change is intended to do.

singing4seagulls

Apr 2, 2017
Or, players realise that time wasting is futile and stop doing it, resulting in a return to the current average length of additional time. Which is what this change is intended to do.
It's the intention, but not how it's actually going to work (in my view).

On average, a premier league game has less than 55 mins of actual playing time. Small changes in rules to stop time wasting will have big consequences here.

Even if we only stamp out 10-15 mins of time waste (so still only 65-70 mins actually played of the 90), that's a 20% increase in running effort, tackles, shots ie. fatigue

You then also get a 20% increase in opportunity for bad tackle, twisted ankle etc.

We'll have to see what this extra time ends up looking like, but think back to the world cup. We had 25 mins added on against Iran. At the end of a game when people are tired, these extra mins could really add up!

As said, just my view but I think squad depth will be vital with these changes.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Teams like Villa will adapt. They'll tactically 'earn' an extra 10 minutes then bring on subs to swarm at the tiring opposition. I can see Smug getting Newcastle doing the same.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'll give you my take -

It may not seem like much, but this can easily be an extra 20% of effort and running per game. Players are already exhausted at the end of games and we know injuries mount up through the season due to exhaustion.

Hell, we had Dunk and others playing through injuries last season. We've now got extra Europe games as well as 20% more playing time.

When your muscles are tired at the end of games, you're more likely to get injured, cramp etc. Likewise there's the cumulative extra effort over the season as it takes longer to recover, whilst small niggles will turn into larger issues.

So I think we're going to see more injuries and need a larger squad. But, importantly, I think it will not be proportional to extra mins played, due to this putting more players into the "danger zone" where they play past their normal limits where muscles are exhausted and more susceptible to injury and fatigue.

Meaning, if across the season we play 20% more minutes, I think you'll see more like 30% more injuries.

For us, adding in extra Europe games as well, I can't help but feel we need a few more players in the squad...

Kudus needed. Defence still not strong enough. Whilst Undav still feels like a loss.
Personally don't see your scenario panning out. Teams will adapt. Teams won't have a larger squad, 25 is enough. Also, the quality of our 25 is improving year on year. Yes, it will still favour the bigger teams but then doesn't everything. Also, we might see longer matches to start with but that will change when time wasting is deemed not beneficial. That will of course mean players putting more effort into the 90 minutes in the first place!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Huh, I remembered more being discussed in that thread.

Here are the dry, official changes (interestingly it includes "Clarification that the senior team coach present in the technical area cannot be sanctioned for an offence committed by an ‘unidentified’ player" - does that mean De Zerbi shouldn't have been punished for the Spurs melee? It's noted as a 'clarification' rather than a change)

Here is a more narrative explanation
Thanking you. I can only understand the narrative explanation.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'll give you my take -

That's up to the PFA, players and managers to manage their workload. I share your concern, and you make a good case, but my view is quite simple: I want to be entertained at football, by football. I don't want to go to the football, and watch the avoidance of football, which too many clubs have pursued for too long.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
It's the intention, but not how it's actually going to work (in my view).

On average, a premier league game has less than 55 mins of actual playing time. Small changes in rules to stop time wasting will have big consequences here.

Even if we only stamp out 10-15 mins of time waste (so still only 65-70 mins actually played of the 90), that's a 20% increase in running effort, tackles, shots ie. fatigue

You then also get a 20% increase in opportunity for bad tackle, twisted ankle etc.

We'll have to see what this extra time ends up looking like, but think back to the world cup. We had 25 mins added on against Iran. At the end of a game when people are tired, these extra mins could really add up!

As said, just my view but I think squad depth will be vital with these changes.
The average was for last season, equally it is an average so some matches were longer actual playing time & some even shorter, Villa & Newcastle in the latter band. But what was the average say 5 years ago, was it higher? Were there more injuries? Part of our problem at the back end of last season was our squad didn't have enough depth to cope which meant some players having to carry on with 'niggles' which then made them worse or fielding young players not really ready yet for the EPL.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
One rule i would like to see enforced more is when a free kick is awarded the fouling team players have to retreat the 10 yards immediately. Too often we see the team awarded the free kick being forced to play it backwards because the opposing player has not retreated
I add that if a player isn't 10 yrds then the attacking team can just kick the ball at that player and get them booked.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'll give you my take -

Which is why some advocate 60 minutes of 'ball in play'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I add that if a player isn't 10 yrds then the attacking team can just kick the ball at that player hard in the bollocks.

An edit for you to consider.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Funny, I’ve just sent the following on a group chat I’m on.

There were 9 additional minutes lumped on at the end of the Stains game last which is consistent with the new directive for the refs to stop the watch for more hold ups in play. Although there weren’t any further goals scored in those 9 mins, Stains did get their winner in the 87th minute.
If the new directive is applied consistently, this could be a nice little earner for backers of Overs from, say, the 85th minute when the odds will, generally, be starting to become worthwhile to back 3/1+etc), particularly in games where it’s still level. At this stage (85th minute), the odds compilers probably won’t have much (if any) idea as to how much additional time there will be in any given game. Once this is known (usually in the 89/90th minute), they’ll adjust the odds accordingly and there will be less value the longer the additional time is. But, if you back the Overs in, say, the 85th minute, you could have up to 15 mins or so for that goal to come in. Obviously, for matches involving more ‘free scoring teams’ - City, etc, the odds at 85 mins won’t be as great as they would be at, say, Newcastle v Villa, but there could be a few quid to be made.
Talking of Villa, how are they going to cope with an extra 30 minutes at the end of each game 😂
3 out of 8 in the Championship had late goals, which gave a small 1.66 points profit on betfair exchange. Odds ranged from 2.8 to 3.42 at 85 minutes.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
3 out of 8 in the Championship had late goals, which gave a small 1.66 points profit on betfair exchange. Odds ranged from 2.8 to 3.42 at 85 minutes.
That’s right. If it was less than 3.0 at 85, I waited until it reached 3.0 before backing. As you say, small profit but not the deluge of post 90 minutes goals I was hoping for.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
i do fear they will over do it on the timewasting. was this really the biggest issue in football, compared to say diving, persistent fouling and general gamesmanship that goes unpunished?
Yes, infuriates me as much as diving.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Personally don't see your scenario panning out. Teams will adapt. Teams won't have a larger squad, 25 is enough. Also, the quality of our 25 is improving year on year. Yes, it will still favour the bigger teams but then doesn't everything. Also, we might see longer matches to start with but that will change when time wasting is deemed not beneficial. That will of course mean players putting more effort into the 90 minutes in the first place!
The other problem is that time wasting is done primarily to disrupt the focus and flow of the opposition, not give them less time to play. To deal with that means doing stuff like carding the keeper the first time he cannels Martinez.

Like what happened last night - keeper booked, and a player booked for kicking the ball away (first offense).

I still think 6- minutes of live action no matter how long this takes would be good. But stopping players disrupting the flow of the game should happen.

I am hearing 10, 12 minutes extra time being played in the second half today, though. With the same in the first half, many games didn't start the second half till nearly ten past four.

Interesting times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here