Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New proposed fan zone

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The Coldean Facebook group is already calling for people to co-ordinate responses to object to this. It looks like there'll be plenty of objections from local residents (I imagine something similar will be going on in Moulsecomb and Falmer). I'm sure that support from Albion supporters will heavily outnumber their objections, however.
That's really odd as it's just a case of what is already there (beer stalls, coffee stall, burger stall and chip stall) but in a better presented format.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Tea and cakes then.

Dare I say if the clubs smart, the foundations should be more than enough to build a hotel on or whatever they want in the future. On top of what would be a pre existing site.
Different spaces. This is North East where the bandstand and existing catering is sited and may include some bike parking space. The hotel was in Taylors Field Car Park South and East

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
PBOBE's programme notes from yesterday explain that "The facility will also be ideal and primed for non-matchday activities, whether it's for match screenings, fan events, or use by the local community, including our university neighbours." [my bold]

Perhaps the residents of Coldean Village could reconsider their objections given they might be able to benefit from Uncle Tony's latest largesse.

HankSkorpio

Jan 2, 2011
Eastbourne
Just a suggestion with all this speculation.
Does anyone have the planning application reference so we see what is actualy proposed and where.
I tried searching the council website without luck.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Maybe not the best idea to have used the word " gigs " in the publicity. The NIMBYS will have crapped themselves. Leisure facility for afternoon bingo would have worked better :)

Agreed would be better to apply for match day use only then apply for a change of use later.

No planning expert but seems to be the normal way people go about things. Start with the gentle peck on the cheek and go for smashing the backdoors in later

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I'll be all over this like a tramp on chips. There is literally NO downside.

Hopefully it'll have x3 - x4 the capacity of Dicks. That'll entice me to arrive early and / or leave late. Big screens, grog, scrag, sluts, noodles, Richie Reynolds, Müller Rice, table football, nitrous oxide, Elton John.

I'm ALL IN
Of course there are downsides eg Dick's closing down, probably the concourses closing at the final whistle etc. We haven't been given any detail yet

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's really odd as it's just a case of what is already there (beer stalls, coffee stall, burger stall and chip stall) but in a better presented format.
This was pointed out on the Facebook page so there's by no means a unanimous objection. But there is hard core group of people who either hate football or hate the way that the stadium has inconvenienced them and will object to anything proposed by the club.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This was pointed out on the Facebook page so there's by no means a unanimous objection. But there is hard core group of people who either hate football or hate the way that the stadium has inconvenienced them and will object to anything proposed by the club.
not limited to football, there are groups that object to development in other counties because of tenuous links to their little cause.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'll probably be the only dissenting voice, but I'm not a fan generally of fan zone type spaces, which seem to be a magnet for pissed-up 'geezers' while blasting out deafening dance music. This doesn't suit everybody. What if you just want a quiet drink and a chat while watching the televised match? It's a massive shame if it's going to mean the end of Dick's, one of the best things about the Amex.

On the other hand, I guess it will mean more space / shorter queues on the concourses (though I won't hold my bresth).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Or are just bored, angry with the modern world and want to stop something to occupy their insular minds and relieve the constant feelings of impotence and ineffectiveness

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This whole thing. Whether it is actually a go to meeting destination or just a replacement for Dicks is going to depend on capacity and service speed isn't it. If you have to queue for half an hour to get in and longer to get a pint, they may as well not bother

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Different spaces. This is North East where the bandstand and existing catering is sited and may include some bike parking space. The hotel was in Taylors Field Car Park South and East

Surely the fan zone, and current facilities, are North West.
Hotel was planned for North East wasn't it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Of course there are downsides eg Dick's closing down, probably the concourses closing at the final whistle etc. We haven't been given any detail yet
I never use Dicks because I can't really be arsed with the queue (it still baffles me when you see a queue of people waiting to get in at 2.30 when its a 3pm kickoff - whats the point of that ?). I've not seen anything to suggest that the concourses are closing for business at the final whistle either. Why would they cut off that particular revenue source ? This boxpark doesn't look like it will have the capacity to accommodate EVERYONE who wants to hang back for a post-match beer. Surely it'll be in addition to the concourses, not instead of.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I never use Dicks because I can't really be arsed with the queue (it still baffles me when you see a queue of people waiting to get in at 2.30 when its a 3pm kickoff - whats the point of that ?). I've not seen anything to suggest that the concourses are closing for business at the final whistle either. Why would they cut off that particular revenue source ? This boxpark doesn't look like it will have the capacity to accommodate EVERYONE who wants to hang back for a post-match beer. Surely it'll be in addition to the concourses, not instead of.
Yes, that would be my understanding. I imagine the numbers would have to be restricted and that there will be an entry charge, and presumably we will have to book in advance, if you want to make use of the facility.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This whole thing. Whether it is actually a go to meeting destination or just a replacement for Dicks is going to depend on capacity and service speed isn't it. If you have to queue for half an hour to get in and longer to get a pint, they may as well not bother
the new beer machines selling Moretti in the West are the answer.

If there were 5 or 6 of those dotted about then queues will be a breeze elsewhere.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Hopefully included as lots more toilets, sorry if i missed this only had a quick read of the plans but looks good

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Maybe not the best idea to have used the word " gigs " in the publicity. The NIMBYS will have crapped themselves. Leisure facility for afternoon bingo would have worked better :)
Seems likely that it's just a case of imprecise language and it's referring to the cover bands that sometimes play at the bandstand. Can't imagine it'd ever be a venue for touring bands.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I’d be astonished if the concourses stayed open after the match once tbe box park gets going. Or at least they’ll reduce them. That’s a lot of staff to keep paying. I may be wrong but I’m presuming that part of the box park appeal is that they can consolidate the bar facilities.

I’m ambivalent about the whole idea. We’re not told just how big this will be, and crucially, what the capacity will be compared to current facilities. As a previous poster said, I like the idea of having a quiet pint and watching the late match on a Saturday while the train chaos subsides but I fear it will be rammed and very loud. I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here