[Albion] New proposed fan zone

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I think word gigs wont go down well with Falmer locals
Tea and cakes then.

Dare I say if the clubs smart, the foundations should be more than enough to build a hotel on or whatever they want in the future. On top of what would be a pre existing site.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Edit - Sorry quoted wrong post!

No chance it will go above the railway.

I’d imagine footprint will be something like this.
Don't think it can be that close to the existing stadium or it will cause a massive bottleneck after the game. Right area but suspect it will be shallower than that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don't think it can be that close to the existing stadium or it will cause a massive bottleneck after the game. Right area but suspect it will be shallower than that.
In that image the black line is the shadow of the stadium, not the stadium itself.

It does look great, but I just can't see it can be that big, given the available area and, as you say, the need to allow space for fans to pass through, particularly post-match.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So does anyone think they will lay on the same stuff that was at the box park? Peraonally, can't see it being anything like the Box Park experience but I might be proved wrong.
My take is fair enough to make the comparisons given that Box Parks can and were used as pre- match experiences for the Wembley games.
Its obviously similar because its a seated, covered space with bars, food outlets, music, tables, toilets and screens. It's not similar because it will be far smaller, will be free to get in, have a more limited range of outlets, and presumably sell Harveys and "where possible" other local food/drink.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Not sure why you think it's a box park clone? Box park has numerous different food outlets which this is unlikely to have as it will be one caterer. Apart from that, a box park is just a few bars in a rectangular building. You might as well say it's a Wetherspoons clone or a Greene King clone etc etc. Not knocking box park as used it for both semi finals and it was great but that was partly because of the ex players wandering around and chatting plus the stuff on the big screen etc.
Shirely if it was a spoons clone the toilets would be the other side of the A27?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
IMG_8450.jpeg

From the club’s Instagram account. This is the view walking from the East stand to the railway station. Not that much room to the ticket office windows!

That said that looks about the same width as the path around the back of the East stand and that moves ok. Think any issues would be with people stood outside the bar to have a smoke and taking up the room needed.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
From the club’s Instagram account. This is the view walking from the East stand to the railway station. Not that much room to the ticket office windows!

That said that looks about the same width as the path around the back of the East stand and that moves ok. Think any issues would be with people stood outside the bar to have a smoke and taking up the room needed.
but this is at the convergence of the other stands. the flow of people presently go straight will now have to come round to join with those from other stands to the station, everyone will slow to get round that corner, cause backing up.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Question.

Is this construction going to go as far down towards the station as the bike racks? Will they have to be moved?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
but this is at the convergence of the other stands. the flow of people presently go straight will now have to come round to join with those from other stands to the station, everyone will slow to get round that corner, cause backing up.
I agree, it will cause some backing up from the east after the game. The design looks as though people will be able to pass under the roof past the pillars, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I wonder if the club will encounter questions about emergency service access, or whether they could move large numbers of people away in the event of a fire or other such incident

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Looks good, but in my head I'm struggling to imagine how it fits there and is big enough to be as substantial as it needs to be. But yeah, good work club.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I reckon if they had the bogs and storage, for food drink etc sunk into the ground, that would free up a bit of space. Just in case the designer's not thought of it

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Coldean Facebook group is already calling for people to co-ordinate responses to object to this. It looks like there'll be plenty of objections from local residents (I imagine something similar will be going on in Moulsecomb and Falmer). I'm sure that support from Albion supporters will heavily outnumber their objections, however.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The Coldean Facebook group is already calling for people to co-ordinate responses to object to this. It looks like there'll be plenty of objections from local residents (I imagine something similar will be going on in Moulsecomb and Falmer). I'm sure that support from Albion supporters will heavily outnumber their objections, however.
What are the nature of their objections? I can't see it impacting Coldean on matchdays. Is it non-matchday use they are unhappy about?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Seems like very little increase in number of current outlets if any of the structure is more than two bogs.
Upstairs possibly as big as dicks bar( which does have decent bog access).

It does provide a bit more shelter outside but this is all about more corporate real estate in the stadium.
Dick's bar already gets packed. When you see how many people are outside in this space now there is no way there will be enough room to fit in everyone currently using Dick's bar and everyone currently using the outside space. Dick's bar should stay open so new fan zone is an additional space not a replacement

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Coldean?

That's f****** miles away. How's it going to affect them?

Jul 7, 2003
Hopefully it will also be open post match - much easier to see the queue at the station when it is pouring with rain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports