[Albion] New Ben White Rumour

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm convinced he'll be off and it'll be for top dollar ( Note : Southampton will get a slice of it ).

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
His agent showed his colours last summer.
Can't see him going anywhere unless a big offer much bigger than £35m comes in

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm convinced he'll be off and it'll be for top dollar ( Note : Southampton will get a slice of it ).

I'm not sure that they will although The Leeds' 50% is going to price most clubs out of the market.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don’t think Southampton get a slice. They released him, he looked for another club, we picked him up, nothing to do with Southampton.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sorry I meant if he goes to an overseas club like Dortmund.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
See AZ's posts 127 and 128.

My apologies.

Seems a daft system if a club releases a 16 year old that they can get compo. I agree with it if it’s a small club losing a prodigy they don’t want to lose to a bigger club, but this doesn’t feel right.

Same people made this rule who’ve screwed up VAR, maybe.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why will Saints get a fee if they released him? Didn't know that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I don’t think Southampton get a slice. They released him, he looked for another club, we picked him up, nothing to do with Southampton.

If he moves abroad Saints get somewhere around 2,5% of the fee. Newport, Leeds and Peterborough would also get a little bit.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My apologies.

Seems a daft system if a club releases a 16 year old that they can get compo. I agree with it if it’s a small club losing a prodigy they don’t want to lose to a bigger club, but this doesn’t feel right.

Same people made this rule who’ve screwed up VAR, maybe.

Dont agree with that. Its one of the sanest systems in football.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
See post #127 - Southampton WILL be due compensation if he is transferred to a club abroad.

The clause states, 'Training compensation is due when....[blah, blah,]................before the end of the season of his 23rd birthday.'

He was 23 last October, so won't the end of this season be our get out clause?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
These latest reports (all copied from one another) suggesting that Albion value White at £35m are nonsense. The club never put a specific valuation on a player, and if the clubs mentioned are indeed going to bid, then TB will be in the enviable position of having some of the wealthiest clubs in Europe competing against each other. In those circumstances, a 23-year-old player who has already proved himself at the biggest club in the whole wide world will surely command £50m minimum.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
These latest reports (all copied from one another) suggesting that Albion value White at £35m are nonsense. The club never put a specific valuation on a player, and if the clubs mentioned are indeed going to bid, then TB will be in the enviable position of having some of the wealthiest clubs in Europe competing against each other. In those circumstances, a 23-year-old player who has already proved himself at the biggest club in the whole wide world will surely command £50m minimum.

I would normally agree. The only thing giving me pause is that I suspect the conversation last summer may have gone something like ‘sign this contract and play the season and if a big club offers £35M+ next summer we won’t stand in your way’

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The clause states, 'Training compensation is due when....[blah, blah,]................before the end of the season of his 23rd birthday.'

He was 23 last October, so won't the end of this season be our get out clause?

The fee is payable throughout the players career if he moves between nations, but is only payable to clubs that contributed to their development up to the players 23rd birthday.

If he moves abroad Saints get somewhere around 2,5% of the fee. Newport, Leeds and Peterborough would also get a little bit.

Southampton would be due 1.5% of the total transfer fee. With the clubs he was on loan at, Newport, Leeds and Peterborough, getting 0.5% of the transfer each too. Peterborough may only be due 0.25% as he was only on a half season loan so might not be entitled to a full seasons compensation (I am not sure of the rule regarding half season loans).

https://kennethrusso.com/training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments/

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The fee is payable throughout the players career if he moves between nations, but is only payable to clubs that contributed to their development up to the players 23rd birthday.

Southampton would be due 1.5% of the total transfer fee. With the clubs he was on loan at, Newport, Leeds and Peterborough, getting 0.5% of the transfer each too. Peterborough may only be due 0.25% as he was only on a half season loan so might not be entitled to a full seasons compensation (I am not sure of the rule regarding half season loans).

https://kennethrusso.com/training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments/
From your link:
"Training compensation happens for players under 23 who either get their first professional contract from another club or who transfer to another club before their 23rd birthday."

I can see from that that we probably paid Southampton something when he signed a professional contract with us, but that 23rd. birthday milestone still looks significant.

Looking at the actual FIFA rules -
"Training compensation is due when:
i. a player is registered for the first time as a professional; or
ii. a professional is transferred between clubs of two different associations (whether during or at the end of his contract)
before the end of the season of his 23rd birthday." - still looks like a cut-off point.

Still, whatever, I'm sure the club's lawyers and accountants will be busy - and right on it!

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

I would normally agree. The only thing giving me pause is that I suspect the conversation last summer may have gone something like ‘sign this contract and play the season and if a big club offers £35M+ next summer we won’t stand in your way’

Highly unlikely! If true that would be in the contract as a release clause. The conversation would have been, "we're not selling you unless we get a big bid. You can continue on your current wages for 2 years, or get this much bigger wage for a 5 year contract".

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
In those circumstances, a 23-year-old player who has already proved himself at the biggest club in the whole wide world will surely command £50m minimum.

And having just received the Haaland £200m, Dortmund will be in prime position to pay that.

Like Biss, I’m very much hoping that White gets a continental European gig rather than turn out against the stripes (pin).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports