Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Ben White Rumour

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I realise this is posted in jest, but if White were sold to PSG (or any other foreign club) Southampton would be entitled to compensation too.

Would they? They released him as a 16 year old, so I can’t see why they’d be due a penny.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Would they? They released him as a 16 year old, so I can’t see why they’d be due a penny.

Training compensation and solidarity payments. Under certain conditions clubs that have contributed to a players development are entitled to payments when the player is sold or signs their first professional contract. In Ben White's case I believe we may have had to pay some training compensation to Southampton when he signed his first professional contract with us. Additionally Southampton would be due solidarity payments if we sold Ben to a team outside of English football.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Training compensation and solidarity payments. Under certain conditions clubs that have contributed to a players development are entitled to payments when the player is sold or signs their first professional contract. In Ben White's case I believe we may have had to pay some training compensation to Southampton when he signed his first professional contract with us. Additionally Southampton would be due solidarity payments if we sold Ben to a team outside of English football.

AZGull will be able to confirm but I am pretty sure that if you get released from a club, any future club has no obligation.

If Southampton had offered him a contract, he turned it down and then signed for us, they would be due compensation and some future add ons.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Fifa regulations are here - Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players

See Annexe 4 (page 66) and Annexe 5 (page 70) for details.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
AZGull will be able to confirm but I am pretty sure that if you get released from a club, any future club has no obligation.

If Southampton had offered him a contract, he turned it down and then signed for us, they would be due compensation and some future add ons.

See post #127 - Southampton WILL be due compensation if he is transferred to a club abroad.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003

I'm pretty certain that the fact Southampton released him doesn't stop them being entitled to some compensation but will reduce the amount payable to them. From what is written here (https://kennethrusso.com/training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments/) Southampton would be entitled to between 1%-1.5% of the transfer fee (depending on what Ben's football passport shows for the season of his 16th birthday), this only applies if Ben is sold to a club outside of the English league system.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm pretty certain that the fact Southampton released him doesn't stop them being entitled to some compensation but will reduce the amount payable to them. From what is written here (https://kennethrusso.com/training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments/) Southampton would be entitled to between 1%-1.5% of the transfer fee (depending on what Ben's football passport shows for the season of his 16th birthday), this only applies if Ben is sold to a club outside of the English league system.

That’s my understanding from the link posted above. He was released a few months before his 17th, so it’ll be 1.5% of any fee. Would be a nice 500-600K bonus to a lower league side, but not really significant to another PL club.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Have we become a selling club?

The players who are most likely to attract big money are still with us, and signed on long contacts aren't they?

I'm thinking Dunk, Bissouma and White here.

I confess to losing track of football in the last year though, so I may be missing something.

Since when have long contracts mattered ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Since when have long contracts mattered ?

In terms of keeping a player, they mean nothing, aside from the fact that if a club decides to sell, the selling club gets a better deal than if the player's contract was coming to an end.

We both know that. I'm not sure what your point is?

My original point was how are we a 'selling club', when our current three biggest assets haven't gone anywhere yet, and are all on long contracts.

That's not to say we won't sell any of them btw. I don't have a crystal ball. But the current situation, and indeed our selling history since being back in the top flight, suggests we are anything but a selling club.

I think the clue is in the thread title.
Rumour alone doesn't make us a 'selling club' right now.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
It's funny, Stoke fans didn't rate Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting at all. Since leaving them he's played for PSG and Bayern Munich.

Yeah, I only just picked up on this week whilst watching some CL games. Who'd have guessed Choupo-Moting? How much did Stoke get?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Yeah, I only just picked up on this week whilst watching some CL games. Who'd have guessed Choupo-Moting? How much did Stoke get?

I don’t believe Stoke got anything when he joined PSG, he had two years left on a three year deal but I think his contract was cancelled by mutual consent to clear the way for him to join PSG on a free. I’m guessing Stoke didn’t want his wages in the Championship anymore than Choupo-Moting wanted to play in the second tier of English football.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don’t believe Stoke got anything when he joined PSG, he had two years left on a three year deal but I think his contract was cancelled by mutual consent to clear the way for him to join PSG on a free. I’m guessing Stoke didn’t want his wages in the Championship anymore than Choupo-Moting wanted to play in the second tier of English football.
Why on earth would Stoke have agreed to cancel his contract? He was contracted to them for another two years, so would have had some transfer value - even if not very much, I'm sure Stoke would have needed it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why on earth would Stoke have agreed to cancel his contract? He was contracted to them for another two years, so would have had some transfer value - even if not very much, I'm sure Stoke would have needed it.

He’s literally put the most likely reason in the post that you quoted.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I was pretty confident White would end up overhyped on here, and he started the season unimpressive.

However, since Sanchez and Veltman came into the team and height was less of an issue, he's been great. Adapted to Premier League football v well. Bags of potential and English so the links with Man U, Liverpool etc make sense. This one though, random! Interesting to see if there's anything in it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here