Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Ben White Rumour

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
From your link:
"Training compensation happens for players under 23 who either get their first professional contract from another club or who transfer to another club before their 23rd birthday."

I can see from that that we probably paid Southampton something when he signed a professional contract with us, but that 23rd. birthday milestone still looks significant.

Looking at the actual FIFA rules -
"Training compensation is due when:
i. a player is registered for the first time as a professional; or
ii. a professional is transferred between clubs of two different associations (whether during or at the end of his contract)
before the end of the season of his 23rd birthday." - still looks like a cut-off point.

Still, whatever, I'm sure the club's lawyers and accountants will be busy - and right on it!

There are two different kinds of payments, training compensation and solidarity payments.

From the same link under the solidarity payment table

only upon the international transfer of a player who is already a professional.

only payable if a player is transferred for a fee, between clubs belonging to different national associations, prior to the expiry of his employment contract.

– also includes transfers occurring after the season of a player’s 23rd birthday.

Also from another site https://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2013/1...lidarity payment,transfer that involves a fee.

When is a solidarity payment due?

Under FIFA rules that were introduced in 2001, any club involved in the education of a player aged between the ages of 12 to 23 is entitled to these payments whenever that player is involved in a cross-border transfer that involves a fee. Importantly, and often not appreciated by clubs, the rules remain in place throughout the entirety of the player’s professional career – so even if the player is transferred to an overseas club well in to the twilight of their career, a club involved in the education of that player even twenty years earlier would (subject to the 2001 implementation date) be owed money.

This is why it is only payable if we sell a player to an overseas club even after the player turns 23. If we sell Ben White to another English club then no-one will be due any further payment as the window for training compensation has closed.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Also from another site https://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2013/1...lidarity payment,transfer that involves a fee.

This is why it is only payable if we sell a player to an overseas club even after the player turns 23. If we sell Ben White to another English club then no-one will be due any further payment as the window for training compensation has closed.
Minefield! Further down that same link it states that the club that buys the player that has to pay, not us!

As for the FIFA official rules (link on post #127) - you can lose the will to live trying to follow them! This is one I'm happy to leave the club's expert employees to sort - whatever they do is fine by me, and I don't think I'll want to know all the details!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Minefield! Further down that same link it states that the club that buys the player that has to pay, not us!

As for the FIFA official rules (link on post #127) - you can lose the will to live trying to follow them! This is one I'm happy to leave the club's expert employees to sort - whatever they do is fine by me, and I don't think I'll want to know all the details!

The club that buys the player pays it, but it's out of the transfer fee that would have been paid to us. So if we sold Ben White this summer to PSG they'd pay Southampton 1.5%, Newport and Leeds 0.5% and Peterborough 0.25% the other 97.25% of the transfer fee would be payable to us (less any other payments that need to be made that we don't know about).

It's no surprise that as per my other link some clubs don't even fully understand the rules, so what chance have we as fans got?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The club that buys the player pays it, but it's out of the transfer fee that would have been paid to us. So if we sold Ben White this summer to PSG they'd pay Southampton 1.5%, Newport and Leeds 0.5% and Peterborough 0.25% the other 97.25% of the transfer fee would be payable to us (less any other payments that need to be made that we don't know about).

It's no surprise that as per my other link some clubs don't even fully understand the rules, so what chance have we as fans got?

0.25% of bugger all?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Looks like he’s putting the practice in for a big move - been doing some weights with his mate in his garage (door open, T-shirt off) this afternoon as I walked past

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Why would Newport, Leeds and Peterborough get anything?

Seems like a hole in the system that loan clubs should get anything.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
he’s been doing some weights with his mate in his garage (door open, T-shirt off)

That just sounds wrong....

Looks like he’s putting the practice in for a big move - been doing some weights with his mate in his garage (door open, T-shirt off) this afternoon as I walked past

with your Canon EOS R5, no doubt

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Why would Newport, Leeds and Peterborough get anything?

Seems like a hole in the system that loan clubs should get anything.

Simply put it's because they contributed to the players training and education, the loan system is designed to help a player develop so Fifa recognised this when setting up the training compensation and solidarity payment system. We could be due solidarity payments for players we had on loan under the age of 23, for example If Izzy Brown suddenly moves outside of England at any point of his career we will be entitled to 0.5% of the fee for the season he spent on loan with us.

It's not likely to net a fortune for loan clubs anyway as they'd be due between £2500 and £5000 per million of the final transfer fee (and remember it's only payable if the player moves abroad). It's only when a really big name gets transferred that its a decent payment, I'm sure Newport will find £200,000 very handy if we sold Ben White for £40million tomorrow.

Last edited:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Simply put it's because they contributed to the players training and education, the loan system is designed to help a player develop so Fifa recognised this when setting up the training compensation and solidarity payment system. We could be due solidarity payments for players we had on loan under the age of 23, for example If Izzy Brown suddenly moves outside of England at any point of his career we will be entitled to 0.5% of the fee for the season he spent on loan with us.

It's not likely to net a fortune for loan clubs anyway as they'd be due between £2500 and £5000 per million of the final transfer fee (and remember it's only payable if the player moves abroad). It's only when a really big name gets transferred that its a decent payment, I'm sure Newport will find £200,000 very handy if we sold Ben White for £40million tomorrow.

Let's hope Lingard moves abroad then!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
According to Patrick Bamford ' Ben White would be in the England squad if he was still at Leeds' ! How f@cking arrogant is that?

Says striker not in the England squad despite playing at Leeds...

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I wonder how many games Southgate has seen us play this season? Man Utd, PSG and Dortmund are all allegedly interested in our young Centre Back but he can't displace Mings in the England squad. What a numpty the waist coated one is.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Kalvin Phillips has played for England this season. Back in June, when White was still at Leeds, Gareth Southgate actually named him as a potential player to be called up for Euro 2020 - Gareth Southgate reveals Leeds duo being monitored by England for Euro 2021

I think there is probably a lot of truth in what Bamford said. :shrug:

Personally I think Phillips’ inclusion is only really because there are a lack of options in that CM role for England right now. If there was a half-decent one playing for (e.g.) Chelsea then he wouldn’t be getting a look in.

Phillips is a decent player no doubt, but he’d have struggled to get in the England squad of five years ago in that position.

Last edited:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
According to Patrick Bamford ' Ben White would be in the England squad if he was still at Leeds' ! How f@cking arrogant is that?

To be fair, Leeds have won double the amount of games we have, you would generally want to take a squad of players used to winning, in form and high in confidence. You don't normally go looking round the sides in a relegation battle. I think he's basically stated an unpalatable truth.

[MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Stats show we have the 8th best defence in the league 39 conceded joint with Liverpool, 1 behind Leicester. If Gareth actually watched the defence play he would know there is some real talent there. Much better than Leeds 50 but actually 2 more goals conceded that Mings at Villa although Martinez has played some absolute blinders this season.
I’d be surprised if white got a look in now for the Euros. He wants a left footed CB and has chosen mings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here