Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Ben White Rumour

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Personally I think Phillips’ inclusion is only really because there are a lack of options in that CM role for England right now. If there was a half-decent one playing for (e.g.) Chelsea then he wouldn’t be getting a look in.

Phillips is a decent player no doubt, but he’d have struggled to get in the England squad of five years ago in that position.

Made a point of watching him closely in a recent game and have to say he is an excellent player based on what I saw. Brilliant positioning and first class distribution, especially the longer ball to players ahead of him. I think he is worthy of his England call ups

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
To be fair, Leeds have won double the amount of games we have, you would generally want to take a squad of players used to winning, in form and high in confidence. You don't normally go looking round the sides in a relegation battle. I think he's basically stated an unpalatable truth.

[MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Weren't West Ham down towards the bottom end of the table when Rice was first picked?

Not to say you're not right in general, but I'm sure there are any number of exceptions to it. In the long run the most players who play for England will end up with the top sides because those sides buy the best players, but there's no need to wait until a player's made that move to pick them.

Personally this season I'd pick Dunk or Webster for a call-up before White, if only because they've had more experience in the top flight. Also they offer more in the air and I'm inclined to think that matters more in internationals, particularly if you're only picking 2 central defenders.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to Patrick Bamford ' Ben White would be in the England squad if he was still at Leeds' ! How f@cking arrogant is that?

Brighton fans: Damn Gareth Southgate. Never picks our players. Hates us. Dunk will never get in the England squad all the while Southgate is manager.
Bamford: Ben White would be in the england squad if he player for us instead of brighton
Brighton fan: What does Bamford know?! Arrogant!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
To be fair, Leeds have won double the amount of games we have,

And conceded 33% more goals. Whilst Bamford's point is supported by the fact that the Amex-phobic Southgate would have seen White play more often had he transferred to Leeds, he would have seen him playing in a considerably poorer defence. At least he would have seen him though.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
And conceded 33% more goals. Whilst Bamford's point is supported by the fact that the Amex-phobic Southgate would have seen White play more often had he transferred to Leeds, he would have seen him playing in a considerably poorer defence. At least he would have seen him though.

It’s far too a simplistic conclusion. To say they’ve conceded more therefore poorer defence when tactically they commit far more to attack. With a considerably poorer defence they’d have likely conceded 60+ with the way they play. There isn’t much to be critical about Leeds at present. Bamford’s comments isn’t one of them.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It’s far too a simplistic conclusion. To say they’ve conceded more therefore poorer defence when tactically they commit far more to attack. With a considerably poorer defence they’d have likely conceded 60+ with the way they play. There isn’t much to be critical about Leeds at present. Bamford’s comments isn’t one of them.

Their defence has been poorer. They've improved in the last few games, but over the season they haven't been good: https://experimental361.com/2021/03/18/scatter-graphics-premier-league-18-mar-2021/

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Their defence has been poorer. They've improved in the last few games, but over the season they haven't been good: https://experimental361.com/2021/03/18/scatter-graphics-premier-league-18-mar-2021/

All that seems to prove is my point that their attack is up there in the top 4 - so naturally their defence suffers - they take risks pure and simple, probably more than anyone else in the league.

Anyway, let’s hope you’re right and tomorrow their defence is as poor as you say.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
All that seems to prove is my point that their attack is up there in the top 4 - so naturally their defence suffers - they take risks pure and simple, probably more than anyone else in the league.

Anyway, let’s hope you’re right and tomorrow their defence is as poor as you say.

Although the risk taking doesn't explain their poor set piece defending, your underlying reason for conceding may be generally true. However, its not relevant to whether Ben White would look his best playing for a team that takes such risks.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017

Not top 4 for goals scored. 8th as a team.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

This is the key bit right here though.

“At least he would have seen him”.

Southgate has never even come to the Amex to watch our players. And it’s not like we’ve not had a number of qualify English players past few years. Dunk. Webster. White. Solly. Lamptey.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
They certainly wouldn't have conceded any less at set pieces.

Earlier in the season when we were learning zonal marking. But blame away you keyboard warrior. No wonder our best players want to move on with this kind of lazy detritus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London

Southgate has never even come to the Amex to watch our players. And it’s not like we’ve not had a number of qualify English players past few years. Dunk. Webster. White. Solly. Lamptey.

If you brought in the Brighton back three into the England team, with Henderson and Rice in front of them, England wouldn’t concede goals. But Southgate knows better.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Doesn’t he live in North Yorkshire? He has seen us plenty of times at grounds and easy distance from him. Not sure he needs to be travelling the length of the country in a pandemic just to appease some precious Brighton fans.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Kalvin Phillips has played for England this season. Back in June, when White was still at Leeds, Gareth Southgate actually named him as a potential player to be called up for Euro 2020 - Gareth Southgate reveals Leeds duo being monitored by England for Euro 2021

I think there is probably a lot of truth in what Bamford said. :shrug:

I'm sure Southgate must have thought that White was a Leeds player when he named him. As soon as he realised he played for us, any interest naturally ended.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Read the graph from the link to the post I was commenting on. That’s why I said ‘attack’ rather than ‘goals’ being in the top 4. :thumbsup:

And then went on to comment about whole team contribution pros and cons. I felt it was inconsistent evidence to support the narrative.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Earlier in the season when we were learning zonal marking. But blame away you keyboard warrior. No wonder our best players want to move on with this kind of lazy detritus.

"Learning Zonal Marking"? It's hardly a new concept and these are professional footballers who had the whole of the previous season with the coach. I think we're just a lot more confident with a physically imposing keeper to back the set piece defending up :shrug:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

This is a very silly overreaction to someone hinting that Ben White needs to develop his aerial strength. I did no blaming. All players are better at some things than others, He's a good passer and tackler, but he's not been great in the air. Does admitting this truth make me a 'keyboard warrior'? Perhaps you'd like to explain what it is I am warring against. While you're about it, you could also explain where you learned that our best players want to leave. It's news to me. I like the use of the word 'detritus' though. It's handy, that thesaurus pop up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here