Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix - What's good to watch?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Watch the French series 'Spin' and even better is the peerless Danish 'Borgen'.

In the light of recent events, it gives a little dramatical insight as to how the current fiasco might be fed to the masses.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm rewatching peaky blinders, cracking show

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Low budget? The cast alone must have cost them a fortune.

Casts cost, but I still think (I don't know) that it was relatively low budget, especially when considering the media attention it's received -- I can't remember a film that has generated so much comment for a long time. The likes of Bond films always generate media attention (froth, might be better -- showing my age with that), yet their budgets are astronomical. That's the basic point I'm trying to make, however poorly.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seaspiracy...a shocking view of the global fishing industry.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For a reasonably low budget film, it's generated more media comment than anything else that I can remember.

$75m is a reasonable budget, NTTD was $250m, for comparison. Promo would be a a massive chunk of that and they also had to basically do that three times with Covid delays.

It might just be me but I think a lot of Netflix productions look a lot cheaper than they are. Something about the production design is really lacking. I find it very noticeable.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Not sure if it’s been mentioned already but MINDHUNTER by David Fincher is excellent. Based loosely on the truth about the formation and evolution of the FBI behavioural science unit. Has two series and annoyingly Fincher stepped away to complete two other projects and they didn’t feel it fair to keep the cast on an undefined hiatus so cancelled it instead.

Hopefully he picks it back up because it was superb.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Can't find a Disney+ thread to watch (sorry Stat). Just finished Welcome To Earth on Nat Georgaphic with Will Smith.

Not bad though he's no Attenborough. Got my daughter riveted. There's additional clips on the Extra tab. In a shot where there's just the 2 of them, you don't see the 20 production crew in the camera shot until the Extra clips. Amazing how many people it takes to do these things. Bit like Top Gear or Grand Tour where there's this massive crew following them.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Quite a niche recommendation, but I'm enjoying Flavorful Origins. Each series is broken down into bite-sized episodes (10-15 minutes) focusing on the cuisine in different regions of China. Chaosan, Yunnan and Gansu feature in the first 3 seasons. Give it a go if you're into food and have a little time to kill.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
New series of Snowpiercer starts on 25th January, if that is your sort of thing.
Must say , I enjoyed the first series.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Don’t look up is ok, at the craziness of politics, big business, the mega rich and how the majority of us get played and happily play along.

The end ruined it for me, there’s no way my wife would let me back in the house after an affair with a tv presenter, for a final supper before the impending doom, she would make me sit outside and whimper….

Also why does the girl and her boyfriend go to his house as well as the army general, do they not have family of their own…

Anyway, I doubt you would make it back in real life, you would be zapped just as your picking up your dogs poop in a plastic bag, or just finished power jetting the decking, not sat round a table holding hands, telling pleasant stories….

Just another fairytale ending to a catastrophic event….

Gotta love the movies eh
Never made it to the end of Don't Look Up... Mrs V lost interest about half way and we never went back.. I has also got pretty bored with Lawrence shouting " **** " every 7 minutes or so and breaking down.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
New series of Snowpiercer starts on 25th January, if that is your sort of thing.
Must say , I enjoyed the first series.
Snowpiercer is excellent but makes for grim watching sometimes.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Can I recommend The Puppet Master - Hunting The Ultimate Conman. A gripping 3 part documentary about a man who manages to scam and psychologically control his victims, with one of his victims under his control for 10 years. An emotional watch, especially the last 15 minutes of the final episode.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Watched Munich: The Edge of War this morning. Well cast with Jeremy Irons excellent as Neville Chamberlain. However for me, it lacked the tension that was present in the book, and therefore left me slightly disappointed.

If you haven't read the book, then you may enjoy the film more than I did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here