Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix - What's good to watch?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I don't know if they have this in the UK yet but I just started watching Pivoting and it doesn't seem awful. :)

Well, there are 3 weeks without PL football, it's snowing hard in the US Midwest and the Covid situation has almost everybody indoors.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Does Bendy Word in Ozark EVER stop moaning at her kids? 4 seasons of nonstop nagging. How Jonah hasn’t just blown her away with his rifle by now or the daughter hasn’t just headbutted her with her flat forehead.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Big Tom gets some American moola.
Noice.

[tweet]1485653133090906114[/tweet]

I'll give it a go, but if it doesn't have Deborah Meadon in bed dropping little guffs, I might not be interested.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Does Bendy Word in Ozark EVER stop moaning at her kids? 4 seasons of nonstop nagging. How Jonah hasn’t just blown her away with his rifle by now or the daughter hasn’t just headbutted her with her flat forehead.

Jonah appears to have aged by about 4 years, and grown by a foot and a half during the duration of the Byrde’s short Mexican break. I’m really struggling to recognise the character from the previous series, I’m not even sure it’s the same actor? They should have recast.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

So many great characters in that show. Ruth Langmore is just brilliant. F*** F*** F***ity F*** never sounded so funny :lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Jonah appears to have aged by about 4 years, and grown by a foot and a half during the duration of the Byrde’s short Mexican break. I’m really struggling to recognise the character from the previous series, I’m not even sure it’s the same actor? They should have recast.

In S1 one Jonah comes home and tells Farty Turd he’s met ‘this really cool kid’ (the Downs actor) and that they’re going to hang out and stuff, cue them never seen together again, apart from one episode where the kid (realistically) buys him a high velocity rifle and several boxes of ammunition from the local Kwik-E-Mart as though it was a bottle of Diet Coke.
:lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I started watching Spike Lee's da 5 Bloods.

After about 20 minutes I turned it off and switched to the excellent Trial of the Chicago 7.

I'll hazard a guess it wasn't Spike's intention to make a promo for Sorkin.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I started watching Spike Lee's da 5 Bloods.

After about 20 minutes I turned it off and switched to the excellent Trial of the Chicago 7.

I'll hazard a guess it wasn't Spike's intention to make a promo for Sorkin.

I watched 5 Bloods the other night and thought it was alright. Should I add that to the latest Unpopular Opinions thread?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watched 5 Bloods the other night and thought it was alright. Should I add that to the latest Unpopular Opinions thread?
I certainly didn't take against it.

Have you seen Chicago 7?

Some of the early live action footage and stills in Bloods are from the events that resulted in the trial.
As said every time one popped up I was just instantly reminded how much I (a Sorkin fanboy) enjoyed that, until it finally got the better of me.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I certainly didn't take against it.

Have you seen Chicago 7?

Some of the early live action footage and stills in Bloods are from the events that resulted in the trial.
As said every time one popped up I was just instantly reminded how much I (a Sorkin fanboy) enjoyed that, until it finally got the better of me.

I'm a fan of Sorkin too but the mixed reviews for Chicago 7 have put me off so far. I'll give it a go one day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm a fan of Sorkin too but the mixed reviews for Chicago 7 have put me off so far. I'll give it a go one day.

Blimey, I don't remember any mixed reviews.
I strongly recommend that one day is quite soon.

If you do watch, you'll realise what I mean re Bloods, and numerous other like minded 'Nam retrospectives.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

If you do watch, you'll realise what I mean re Bloods, and numerous other like minded 'Nam retrospectives.

I think it was Peter Bradshaw in the Guardian that gave it 2/5. The Observer critic was a big fan though.

I'll report back after I watch.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
switched to the excellent Trial of the Chicago 7.

Are there actually any American actors in that show? What is it about America’s inability to produce or use their own acting talent, and in a country that size you’d like to think they wouldn’t so desperate as to have to resort to the least convincing Yank ever educated at Eton, Eddie fycking Redmayne.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are there actually any American actors in that show? What is it about America’s inability to produce or use their own acting talent, and in a country that size you’d like to think they wouldn’t so desperate as to have to resort to the least convincing Yank ever educated at Eton, Eddie fycking Redmayne.

Yet Rylance and Sasha Baron Cohen are on top form, esp Rylance.

But it's the American Jeremy Strong who steals it for me, much like The Big Short. (Along with the 2 others in Steve Carroll's office)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yet Rylance and Sasha Baron Cohen are on top form, esp Rylance.

But it's the American Jeremy Strong who steals it for me, much like The Big Short. (Along with the 2 others in Steve Carroll's office)

I think what killed it for me was the whole thing being shot in Milton Keynes posing as Chicago. I can only suspend disbelief so much, Stat!

:eek:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think what killed it for me was the whole thing being shot in Milton Keynes posing as Chicago. I can only suspend disbelief so much, Stat!

:eek:

Oh man, not on Netflix but, How To with John Wilson, is phenomenal.

He was living in a area of New York that got taken over by a film crew.

*narrator's voice*

"It was surprisingly easy to turn our block into war torn Afghanistan" :lolol:

Then cut between the scenes and real life.

No set dressing at all!

Double :eek:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I've watched it and whilst it was watchable I certainly wouldn't gush over it like you appear to be. Agree that Sacha Baren Cohen is very good in it though.

Watched Wild Bill last night. Average at best but passed a couple of hours and was more entertaining than the first half of QPR Swansea.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Munich:Edge of War

Surprisingly tense given we all know the outcome (Spoiler alert-WW2 happened)

Shows a different perspective of Chamberlin, and that instead of being duped by Hitler and made a fool of , just maybe he gained enough time for the Allies to prepare for what was by that time an inevitable conflict

Although the main story of the two Oxford friends and the document is fiction, the events surrounding it are true, and a version of the document is real

Agree with this, absolutely tense watching from beginning to end, as you say, we all know what happened but brilliantly done.
Highly recommend.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
He was living in a area of New York that got taken over by a film crew.

*narrator's voice*

"It was surprisingly easy to turn our block into war torn Afghanistan" :lolol:

A lot of movies that are supposed to be in New York are shot in Canada as it's cheaper and less aggro getting permits

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here