Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neil Mellor to the Albion ?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Gus always says he wants players that are better than what we have or are different to what we have, at the moment Mellor is neither, but Wood was very well thought of at WBA, and unless Roy Hodgson isn't of the same opinion, he will be staying at WBA. Mellor would come into the different category if we dont have Wood.

For what its worth i think he is slow and yes FAT, but could be a hell of a player if he lost a few pounds.

Now are there any strikers out there called Ward?

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Why did Preston let him go out on loan to Sheff Wed in the first place? If they thought he was good enough to play in the Championship surely they'd have kept hold of him? After all, it could be argued that none of their players are of Championship standard, and if Mellor wasn't deemed good enough for that lot ...

The reason he went out on loan, Simple, wages. He's on big money at PNE and they are skint. When their new chairman took over he nearly had a heart attack at the amount of cash they were spunking left right and center. It was a simple get him off the wage book move. IF he came here id like to think Gus could do for him what McGhee did for Darren Currie, get him thin, fit and motivated. If this were the case I think we'd have a pretty decent player on our hands.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
In and out of a poor Wednesday side this season, also would say Wood is a far better player

Not saying he is shit, but must be reasons he hasn't be playing and would like us to be looking at better quality player than him

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Wood has far better potential, would rather attempt a cheeky bid for him than any move for Mellor, may as well push the boat out and pay a couple of million for KLL too while we're at it. :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't imagine Gustavo being too impressed by his rotund figure - no chance.

Ah but with our fantastic fitness regime, it could be that if we signed him earlier enough, he could start the season more akin to his dad's physique (less of course the height as I don't believe the club utilise the rack as part of the fitness programme!).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He would be ok for a 3rd choice striker (I think Woody will be sent out on loan by WBA next season but not to us). My only concern is whether or not he'll be a decent player once he has lost a couple of stone like Guy Butters did. Not surprised he wants away from PNE as his wages will drop if he is with them next season.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
He's jumped on that big bandwagon along with other players of his ilk! Suddenly the thought of playing for us is a brilliant idea. We certainly won't be in the hunt for Wood in the close season ( money) and would steer well clear of the likes of Mellor.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Is it really relevant if he is "fat"? I wouldn't give a shit if we signed Claire from Steps as long as she could bang in a few goals.
Mellor is a better finisher than Barnes in my eyes, but Barnes has come on leaps and bounds this season and is still so young, with so much more to offer. Mellor would be a nice option to have coming off the bench if he settled for a large wage cut (assuming he is on around £5-10k a week at PNE), but wouldn't put him in a starting 11 ahead of Barno or Muzz.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Them up North call him TBM (The Boy Mellor), his finishing is superb but a few injuries and a few diet problems have left him in the lower tiers. If he can keep himself fit he's worth a punt, he's better than Sandaza.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
give him a slimline tonic and sign him up

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The reason he went out on loan, Simple, wages. He's on big money at PNE and they are skint. When their new chairman took over he nearly had a heart attack at the amount of cash they were spunking left right and center. It was a simple get him off the wage book move. IF he came here id like to think Gus could do for him what McGhee did for Darren Currie, get him thin, fit and motivated. If this were the case I think we'd have a pretty decent player on our hands.
Thanks for the answer, so he wasn't sent on loan from PNE as he was deemed 'not good enough' which is the conclusion I came to. Would his wages still be a sticking point for us I wonder?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What worries me is why he isn't a regular in the Sheff Wed side now. As for PNE letting him go because of wages, it's false economy if they get relegated - if you had a player good enough to get you enough Championship goals to survive you'd keep him until the summer.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Lets face it, this is a total non story beefed up by a non-newspaper

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Thanks for the answer, so he wasn't sent on loan from PNE as he was deemed 'not good enough' which is the conclusion I came to. Would his wages still be a sticking point for us I wonder?

I dont think he would be able to command as big a wages as he did when he joined PNE. You have to remember they were signing a player from Liverpool who had done pretty well when given a chance, he could rightly demand a good wage. His stock has fallen since, we'd be effectively taking a punt on a player that has had a few problems. His goal/game record this season speaks for itself though and thats in a POOR team. Get him fit and on the end of Bennett's crosses and we could have the NM of old...

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Think its a bit of a non story really, Its him saying he'd like to join us.

Hypothetically if he can get fit & keep his weight down plus avoid the niggling injuries that seem to have hampered his career he'd be a decent signing.
Still would rather have Murray & Wood though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here