Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neighbours smoking weed - making our life hell - advice

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is the loft divided by just a single brick wall?

Get up in your loft and see if the smell is stronger up there.

If this is the case you may be able to cover the dividing wall with something to block the smell.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yep - we noticed this last week - everyone else's roof was covered in snow (we had 8 inches on the ground), next door's roof was, um, not covered in snow. They have converted their loft at some point (before we moved in) and we wondered whether it could be related to that.

The old bill aren't daft, they spot clues such as as warm roofs and so the gaff may well be on their radar already. We had a notorious neighbour a few years ago who was known for being a dealer but never seemed to get nicked. But early one morning the heavy mob put their doors in. It turned out that the Police had been watching the gaff for several weeks including via cctv in several neighbouring properties, so they not only nicked the occupiers but also their frequent 'visitors'.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if its only on Saturday, it aint growing.

the answer here is to find a half dozen mates and storm the place dressed in black fatigues and balaclavas, steal their stash and administer a physical warning for dealing in the neighbourhood. even if they arent, it should shit them up enough to stop toking.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
if its only on Saturday, it aint growing.

the answer here is to find a half dozen mates and storm the place dressed in black fatigues and balaclavas, steal their stash and administer a physical warning for dealing in the neighbourhood. even if they arent, it should shit them up enough to stop toking.

Pretty much what I said verbatim.

You know it makes sense.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Phone the police anonymously and tell them you suspect that 99 Blog Street may be a cannabis farm and give your reasons. They may already have that address on their computer and have it under observation, if not, it will be on their computer after you call and it may tie in with what they already know.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Just report it to the Police and let them deal with it, It sounds like pretty much whatever they are doing is illegal, so use the correct authority to deal with it!

That or take heed of what a few others have said on here :lol: a few mates and have a gentle but firm chat with them punish:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Honestly why do you feel the need to ask an internet football forum about this? It doesn't strike me that NSC is flooded with lawyers, environmental health officers or drug counsellors, especially at this time of night after a big game. Either make your mind up to some decisive action or talk to Citizens Advice. You're welcome.

why do people post stuff like this. As the OP said, you can get some incredibly useful advice on this forum and the situation is hardly typical. Fair enough if you come on and ask how to boil an egg.

to the OP: I would say you are holding all the cards. I like a smoke but the fact remains it's not entirely legal is it? Another quiet word? Really stress how strong it smells. If he's growing SURELY that would worry him a bit. And if he's not, wouldn't that worry him a little also.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
If they are growing surely the heat lamps would be on every day not just Saturdays? I would investigate how the smell is getting through as if its just a couple of joints the smell wouldn't be that strong to travel next door would it?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
why do people post stuff like this. As the OP said, you can get some incredibly useful advice on this forum and the situation is hardly typical. Fair enough if you come on and ask how to boil an egg.

to the OP: I would say you are holding all the cards. I like a smoke but the fact remains it's not entirely legal is it? Another quiet word? Really stress how strong it smells. If he's growing SURELY that would worry him a bit. And if he's not, wouldn't that worry him a little also.

Brighton's a party town full of students and clubs. I imagine neighbours who stay up late and have a smoke are very common indeed. It's certainly happened to me. When it did I didn't feel the need to post about it here or anywhere else for that matter. I just reported them to their landlord.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Brighton's a party town full of students and clubs. I imagine neighbours who stay up late and have a smoke are very common indeed. It's certainly happened to me. When it did I didn't feel the need to post about it here or anywhere else for that matter. I just reported them to their landlord.

It sounds a bit different to a few people having a smoke. If the smell was that strong for everyone then you'd be able to smell Brighton over the channel.

And perhaps the OP doesn't want them to get in to trouble?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

Oh no! You've unleashed the "no-one likes a grass" beasts on this thread.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I am at my wits end, so I am hoping the NSC can give me some constructive advice...

I bought my first property a year ago this week. My and the other half were over the moon to finally have our own place after years of saving - a small, yet nice 1950's semi.

Problem is, in November we started smelling weed on a regular basis coming from next door (their main bedroom is the other side of the wall to our main bedroom). This isn't just a faint smell, it is a very strong smell of marijuana coming through in the evenings - normally is can only be smelt in our bedroom, but sometimes our entire house stinks. The smell is so strong that we cannot sleep. We have always known the neighbours like to smoke the green stuff a bit (they usually do it in the front garden), and it has never particularly fussed us beforehand.

Just after Christmas I decided I had enough and had a quiet word with our neighbour. He seemed quite nice about it, and agreed to smoke his weed elsewhere in the house. However the problem has since started again every Saturday night. This is annoying for me, and is putting a huge amount of stress on my other half (she is on the verge of moving out).

So, my question to NSC, is where do I go from here? It will be at least another 2 years of hard saving before I/we can afford to move elsewhere - we can't sell now because we would be making a huge loss.

I don't want to get into a neighbourly dispute because the neighbours can be rough as feck (I asked them to turn down their music once at 11pm after they said to let them know if it was too loud, the result was it got louder and went on through the night!). The neighbours not only know we have a problem with this, they are actively avoiding us so that we cannot complain to them.

All I want to do is live a normal life in my house - starting with not having to sleep in the spare room/sofa every Saturday night. Also, I would love my other half to be able to relax - she now shudders at the thought of coming home in the evening!

Any advice would be welcome - should I start by keeping a diary of evidence? What do I do next...?

May I just say again, this isn't a faint whiff - it is a very strong smell.

Are you sure that it`s realy the weed that is your other halfs problem.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It sounds a bit different to a few people having a smoke.

I could smell my neighbour's son's weed in my house quite strongly once. The parents were away and he had some friends round for a smoke. Our house is old and the smell somehow got through to our side. I guess old houses are not as air tight as modern ones. Given this and the fact it's only weekends I feel it's just regular smoking ie not growing.

I feel it's best to go round again and politely re-explain the situation. I know you have already done this once but it might be the fact he has listened to you and altered his habits but doesn't realise it's still affecting you. Maybe you can ask them to just smoke in their lounge and see if the smell still affects you? I would try and sort this in a neighbourly sensible way so both sides get what they want; they can continue to smoke and you do not have your house invaded every weekend by his hobby. Reporting them should be the last resort; you have to live next to each other for the foreseeable and if you get the authorities involved you can guarantee no future assistance or cooperation from them over any matter in the future.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I could smell my neighbour's son's weed in my house quite strongly once. The parents were away and he had some friends round for a smoke. Our house is old and the smell somehow got through to our side. I guess old houses are not as air tight as modern ones. Given this and the fact it's only weekends I feel it's just regular smoking ie not growing.

I feel it's best to go round again and politely re-explain the situation. I know you have already done this once but it might be the fact he has listened to you and altered his habits but doesn't realise it's still affecting you. Maybe you can ask them to just smoke in their lounge and see if the smell still affects you? I would try and sort this in a neighbourly sensible way so both sides get what they want; they can continue to smoke and you do not have your house invaded every weekend by his hobby. Reporting them should be the last resort; you have to live next to each other for the foreseeable and if you get the authorities involved you can guarantee no future assistance or cooperation from them over any matter in the future.

^^^^this is all sensible advice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here