Naylor on Joel Lynch in todays Argus

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
There is no longer any weight behind the argument of those who say things like "Lynch threw his toys out of the pram, it was only 4 games into the season, he should have stayed and fought for his place" etc.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Unjustified bit of journalism by Naylor, obviously towing the club line before selling Lynch on.

MA just didnt fancy him, thats his perogative to pick who he wishes, and he decided on Hawkins ahead of Lynch.

Hope that this isnt a prelude to another character assasination of another young homegrown player that in someways was forced to move on.

Any professional worth his salt is ambitious and unable to command a place ahead of Hawkins took the opportunity to move to a Championship club that now looks like might want to buy him.

I would suspect the price is not as much as some here would like, how can we seriously demand a high price for a player that our manager doesn't think would be an asset to a team sitting low in League 1.

Players come and go, thats football, but I can scent yet another player uneccessarily slaughtered to try and justify a decision, that lets be honest, is yet another poor one.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Unjustified bit of journalism by Naylor, obviously towing the club line before selling Lynch on.

MA just didnt fancy him, thats his perogative to pick who he wishes, and he decided on Hawkins ahead of Lynch.

Hope that this isnt a prelude to another character assasination of another young homegrown player that in someways was forced to move on.

Any professional worth his salt is ambitious and unable to command a place ahead of Hawkins took the opportunity to move to a Championship club that now looks like might want to buy him.

I would suspect the price is not as much as some here would like, how can we seriously demand a high price for a player that our manager doesn't think would be an asset to a team sitting low in League 1.

Players come and go, thats football, but I can scent yet another player uneccessarily slaughtered to try and justify a decision, that lets be honest, is yet another poor one.

I think that may well prove to be the case: we have to remember that football managers are just as fallible as the rest of us - except their failings are far more high profile.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

You've made quite an assumptive leap there.

Micky Adams TWICE turned down Lynch's transfer request, the first time round publicly stating that Joel featured in his plans.

Just because there may or may not have been disagreements or arguments pre-season or whenever, it does not automatically follow that a manager does not want this player around.

colinpants

IT CONSULTANT
Jan 24, 2005
Maybe he was pissed off with the way the club treated wilkins, afterall he was youth team coach.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You've made quite an assumptive leap there.

Micky Adams TWICE turned down Lynch's transfer request, the first time round publicly stating that Joel featured in his plans.

Just because there may or may not have been disagreements or arguments pre-season or whenever, it does not automatically follow that a manager does not want this player around.

It is what Notts Forest's assessment of the situation which is likely to be critical and if they bid, they are bidding on a player that isn't pivitol in our plans and a potential as yet unfulfilled.

If he had been an ever present and Forest or any other team came in for him during the window or at the end of the season, then Brighton's bargaining power would likely to be stronger.

By all accounts Lynch is not a demonstrative individual, less likely to take on Adams, he is at Forest because he couldn't command a place in the starting line up.

Of course manager's want players around, its just they want some players around more than others.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've been fairly critical of Andy Naylor in the past, but he does usually say it as he sees it, and fair play to him for that.

Just because you don't like what happened to Wilkins does not automatically make Naylor a club licker.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I've been fairly critical of Andy Naylor in the past, but he does usually say it as he sees it, and fair play to him for that.

Just because you don't like what happened to Wilkins does not automatically make Naylor a club licker.

What part has my view on Wilkins departure somehow translated into Naylor being a club licker or has any relevance to Lynch's likely tranfer ????

I seem to recall a piece ina recent matchday programme with an interview with Lynch that was along the line of "I'm pleased to be back and I'm fighting for a place"......

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It is what Notts Forest's assessment of the situation which is likely to be critical and if they bid, they are bidding on a player that isn't pivitol in our plans and a potential as yet unfulfilled.

If he had been an ever present and Forest or any other team came in for him during the window or at the end of the season, then Brighton's bargaining power would likely to be stronger.

By all accounts Lynch is not a demonstrative individual, less likely to take on Adams, he is at Forest because he couldn't command a place in the starting line up.

Of course manager's want players around, its just they want some players around more than others.

They would be bidding on a player who is contracted to us for another two seasons, was in the manager's plans and whom the club spent an awful lot of money, time and effort to get him to the stage he is at.

The management at the Albion, at the time of Forest taking him on loan, wanted Lynch at the club. It was Lynch who wanted away, not the Albion. He was usually picked when fit. He wasn't an ever-present thanks to his ongoing injuries, including at the start of this season.

THAT is what will be critical if or when Forest and the Albion come to haggle, not Forest's view on the situation alone.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
injury prone, thinks he is Rio Ferdinand, not popular with other players, likely to make mistakes, Adams wanted a Butters like player to partner Elphick - Hawkins fitted the bill in preference to Lynch, playing at Forest is more attractive than the bench at Withdean.......

...all possible reasons

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
They would be bidding on a player who is contracted to us for another two seasons, was in the manager's plans and whom the club spent an awful lot of money, time and effort to get him to the stage he is at.

The management at the Albion, at the time of Forest taking him on loan, wanted Lynch at the club. It was Lynch who wanted away, not the Albion. He was usually picked when fit. He wasn't an ever-present thanks to his ongoing injuries, including at the start of this season.

THAT is what will be critical if or when Forest and the Albion come to haggle, not Forest's view on the situation alone.

This myth that somehow 'The Club' spent money on him developing his talent is mis-used.

The Club as all league clubs receives funding to run their Academies/Centre of Excellence and of course I acknowledge that our CoE ( more likely Wilkins ) has had an impact in his development and will expect recompense for this.

But where you assume an 'awful lot' money has in someway been spent on him is a little misleading.

The Centre of Excellence is funded and run from an annual grant, so although work has undoubtedly been put in very little of the clubs money is actually spent on this part of the club, a part that has proved extremely beneficial and enjoys a considerable net gain financially with players sold on.

The dynamics of any future deal remain that Forest will be bidding for a player that doesn't feature in MA current or future plans.

He had a 2 year contract at the time he was shipped out to Forest on loan in the first place, it doesn't translate into a club wishing for him to be an integral part of our squad this season, does it ?

Lynch wanted away because the manager didn't particularly fancy him, no big deal and he took an opportunity to try to prove he can cut it at a higher level, good luck to him.

The club will receive money, but my fear is that once again the parting will be acrimonious.

Naylor's piece seem's to be another effort to tarnish Lynch's reputation just as we did with Hammond, O'Callaghan, Savage and Wilkins.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's hard, bordering on pointless to have a debate with someone who is going to re-write history and claim it as fact.

So I won't bother. I'm out.

What part you finding difficult to follow, what a poor response.

Maybe you would like to comment on your claim the awful lot of money spent....oh no, dont bother !!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Could someone show me where Naylor tarnishes the reputation of Hammond, Savage and O'Callaghan (who I thought simply left for money) and also Wilkins. I have looked at the Argus site and haven't seen anything that fits the bill.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Could someone show me where Naylor tarnishes the reputation of Hammond, Savage and O'Callaghan (who I thought simply left for money) and also Wilkins. I have looked at the Argus site and haven't seen anything that fits the bill.

Worry about getting your hair cut first Curly

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Its the club, including Naylor, he has a close relationship with MA so its sanctioned to a degree, its unfair on Lynch and uneccessary.

Its the club, including Naylor, he has a close relationship with MA so its sanctioned to a degree, its unfair on Lynch and uneccessary.

Please not this nonsense again. You have some notion that anything in the press related to the club is somehow sanctioned by the club. Journalists are paid to write stories. They write the stories that they want to write, that they think will sell newspapers. It has absolutely FA to do with anyone at the club.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Please not this nonsense again. You have some notion that anything in the press related to the club is somehow sanctioned by the club. Journalists are paid to write stories. They write the stories that they want to write, that they think will sell newspapers. It has absolutely FA to do with anyone at the club.

Ahhh bless, thats right, did father christmas bring you all you wrote on your list ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports