Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Murray to Watford

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We have been trying to move on from him since he was about 33 or 34, how many strikers have tried but failed to oust him from the team? Locadia and Andone are just two names that come to mind, and where are they now?

There is nothing in Murrays sub appearances in the last 12 months that tell me he is the answer to our problems.

Like wise, Maupay scoring record in 19/20 season was only 2 less goal than Murray has ever scored in 1 season in the PL...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not saying we don't "move on" from him overall. I'm only suggesting we might look to recall him so he can be an occasional option very briefly from the bench.

He could suit certain scenarios - such as a game where we have the other side absolutely pinned in their defensive third in the final 15 mins of a game where we desperately need a winner. He's the one we'd all want the ball to fall to in that situation, I think.

With 9 subs, perhaps some merit in this, but I still think a big question mark over his general fitness

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
There is nothing in Murrays sub appearances in the last 12 months that tell me he is the answer to our problems.

Like wise, Maupay scoring record in 19/20 season was only 2 less goal than Murray has ever scored in 1 season in the PL...

I don’t think anyone is saying Murray at 37 is the answer, I think the point being made is that if he’s not even getting in the squad for Watford why is he there? Whether Murray is the answer, probably not but it’s a different option to have on the bench if we need a different type of striker, at the minute we have 3 strikers who can’t hit a barn door and are all quite similar, and 2 of those I wouldn’t even say are out and out strikers. Welbeck and Connolly are both players who seem to enjoy running the channels more than poaching.

At the moment particularly at home we’ve struggled massively against teams who drop into that deep block at least it would be nice to have the option of being more direct which is an option we don’t have.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Oh l know Murray isn't really the answer, etither short term or long, my point really is that if Watford don't want him then he may just as well stay here. I think he has something to offer in just being around our players, both on the traing ground, and in the dressing room. He has been there, seen it, and done it all, and has so much advice to impart.

I have a feeling though, that Glenn will want to play on until the bitter end, even if it means dropping down the divisions, so if the chance of another loan move came up, not too far from home, then he may wish to take it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don’t think anyone is saying Murray at 37 is the answer, I think the point being made is that if he’s not even getting in the squad for Watford why is he there? Whether Murray is the answer, probably not but it’s a different option to have on the bench if we need a different type of striker, at the minute we have 3 strikers who can’t hit a barn door and are all quite similar, and 2 of those I wouldn’t even say are out and out strikers. Welbeck and Connolly are both players who seem to enjoy running the channels more than poaching.

At the moment particularly at home we’ve struggled massively against teams who drop into that deep block at least it would be nice to have the option of being more direct which is an option we don’t have.

Very much this.

I'd even question whether Maupay is an out and out striker, he did score a considerable amount of goals for Brentford, but many of those were from playing out wide. A target man he cewrtainly isn't.

As for playing more direct, I don't think Graham Potter knows the meaning of the phrase!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

This. No one here is saying Murray is the answer.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I could see Murray ending up at Forest next month. Can't see Potter keeping him at Brighton at his age and when he just doesn't suit Potter's style of play - I mean he was loaned out to Watford for a reason. He would do a job at Forest who could do with someone chipping in a goal or two.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I could see Murray ending up at Forest next month. Can't see Potter keeping him at Brighton at his age and when he just doesn't suit Potter's style of play - I mean he was loaned out to Watford for a reason. He would do a job at Forest who could do with someone chipping in a goal or two.

Too far from home l think. He would only consider somewhere within daily commuting distance from Brighton.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Too far from home l think. He would only consider somewhere within daily commuting distance from Brighton.

What is it - three - three and a half hours by train including changes - and I am sure that Hughton would be flexible. I am not saying he will join Forest - but I could definitely see it happen with Hughton there.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Glen Murray puts the ball in the back of the net, something are current strikers are having difficulty with. Teddy Sheringham was still scoring regularly up to the age of forty so why not Glen?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
My question is this.

Why the bloody hell did Watford sign him if they have no intention of him playing?

Let Glenn go somewhere when he’ll play. Feel bad for the guy. And you know what, given the chance I still think he would bang in goals in the chaotic Championship.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have you all forgotten just how lead footed Murray is these days? He is not the answer to our striker problems

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Blimey we've mugged Watford there

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Have you all forgotten just how lead footed Murray is these days? He is not the answer to our striker problems

Leaden-footed maybe but both of Welbeck's chances against Leicester and Fulham required a finisher's instinct (not pace). Admittedly, to accommodate Muzza would require us to change our entire style of play (and that's not going to happen) - but in those half-chance situations I'd still back him to put the ball in the net ahead of all our other strikers

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here