Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Murray to Watford

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Presumably his wages? We seem desperate to trim the wage bill, so cancelling his loan without another lined up seems unlikely for that reason alone.

I must admit, giving him that extra year contract does seem like a mistake for both parties

Certainly not a mistake for Murray. He might have ended his own career a year or two earlier than he'd have liked, but he guaranteed himself the income. I doubt he has too many regrets although it is a shame it's not worked out at Watford. When the summer window closed with Deeney and Gray still in place, and to a lesser extent the winger they spent huge money on, Murray's chances were always slim to none.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Nobody knows what Murray is earning now, but I'd be surprised if it hasn't been reduced by at least half of what he originally signed back in 2016(?)

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
If Glen were to spend the rest of the season teaching Aaron Connolly and Percy Tau every trick in his playbook to hold the ball up, it would be worth his wages alone...

SAC

May 21, 2014
Nobody knows what Murray is earning now, but I'd be surprised if it hasn't been reduced by at least half of what he originally signed back in 2016(?)

Reportedly only on £1.5 million a year. No wonder his signed a contract extension, I can't imagine he would get that anywhere else.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Football is weird when it comes to employment law/practice. I think a fair few people would kick up quite a stink if they got to work and were told they had to work alone, away from everyone else.

Welcome to the world of home working that most of us live with

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

So approximately my annual income in a week or two then? Bet he's regretting signing for that extra year now!

Edit: If he's on £1.5M a year, as suggested above, that's my annual income in rather less than a week!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If Glenn were to spend the rest of the season teaching Aaron Connolly and Percy Tau every trick in his playbook to hold the ball up, it would be worth his wages alone...

Indeed. My favourite trick of his is the one where he shoots at goal and the opposing keeper is not in the way of the shot meaning the ball goes into the net. Any session Glenn ran on this would have more attendees than just Aaron and Percy though!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Indeed. My favourite trick of his is the one where he shoots at goal and the opposing keeper is not in the way of the shot meaning the ball goes into the net. Any session Glenn ran on this would have more attendees than just Aaron and Percy though!

Indeed. I sometimes think that after more than a year without a home win, our coaches ought to get back to basics, and just explain to our forwards what a football actually look like, and where you need to kick it in order to score a goal.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003

The game has moved on from Glenn's type of striker. The guy is an absolute dinosaur when it comes to finding the opposition keeper with accurate passes on goal. :wink:

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Forest have enquired about Glenn Murray signing for the remainder of the season.
Discussions with Watford and Brighton ongoing.
Forest have 5 loans (max for matchday) so permanent deal option.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I do find the Murray thing a bit odd. He really enjoys living in Brighton and has been reluctant at loan moves that required moving. Even Bournemouth I think he stayed in hotels when he had to but otherwise was drive there and back for training etc. If his options are now so slim to play for another 6 months or so - why not just retire? He clearly has the money and has been getting into media for a long time now

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
We should take him back, so he can sit on our bench for 6 months. Chuck him on for the last 10 minutes of games where needed, and get him coaching our other strikers.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I do find the Murray thing a bit odd. He really enjoys living in Brighton and has been reluctant at loan moves that required moving. Even Bournemouth I think he stayed in hotels when he had to but otherwise was drive there and back for training etc. If his options are now so slim to play for another 6 months or so - why not just retire? He clearly has the money and has been getting into media for a long time now

He likes to play football.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe he likes his family as well.

So I refer you back to my original post. Maybe he needs to decide what he wants to do as at the moment he seems in no mans land I guess - except of course being paid PL wages every week

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here