Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Murray to Watford

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
This is a loan that doesn't seem to have done anything for any of the parties involved - it may have saved us a bit in wages, but that's about it. Back to us in January with a loan out to League 1 or 2 if he wants a last hurrah playing professional football, or just back to us with a cameo appearance for a few minutes in the last home match of the season if there's nothing significant at stake.
No more contract extensions, that's for sure! Good luck in your next career, Glenn.

I suspect there would be Championship clubs that would be interested and a) It's unlikely that he would want to play at L1/L2 level and b) no club at that level could cover his wages.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Isn't there some rule about not signing for 3 clubs in 1 season?

Yes, I think so but it may be not playing for 3 clubs in which case I suppose he'd be ok.

Murray would be able to join another club this season providing he doesn't make an appearance for us during January if we recall him. We loaned Jan Mlakar to QPR last season, recalled him at the start of January and then loaned him to Wigan at the end of the January transfer window.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
There are so many clubs who could use him as a replacement striker in the 70th min. Really hope he gets a good club who values him, so much experience.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
At what point do we consider breaking the emergency glass and recalling him?

If he can only play 10-15 minutes a game, he's still the most likely BHA striker to be right place, right time and put the ball in the net, it seems...

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

If he can only play 10-15 minutes a game, he's still the most likely BHA striker to be right place, right time and put the ball in the net, it seems...

What’s the point of him being out on loan not even making the squad, his missus still lives in Brighton as well I see her taking the little one to school so it can’t be easy for him being away from his family and not even making squads, seems like he might as well be here not playing. He’d get more minutes for us than Watford :lolol:

Good option to have as well late on in games if nothing else.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What’s the point of him being out on loan not even making the squad, his missus still lives in Brighton as well I see her taking the little one to school so it can’t be easy for him being away from his family and not even making squads, seems like he might as well be here not playing. He’d get more minutes for us than Watford :lolol:

It would be interesting to see what he could do with Welbeck. . . . trouble is he's just too slow for open play.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Really? The problem is Glenn is slow. Unlikely he'd be in the right place / right time with the pace of PL football now.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I imagine Mr. & Mrs. Murray are still living in their Patcham pad together though, and he only commutes to Herts for training each day, and for matches of course if he is involved.

But yes, l'd still like him to be in and around our players on the training pitch and on match days, not just for the current season, but when his playing days are over too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Really? The problem is Glenn is slow. Unlikely he'd be in the right place / right time with the pace of PL football now.

He doesn't need to be quick if he knows the correct place to be for a set piece. Every game we miss an absolute sitter (usually headed) in the middle of the box it seems.

I'm only talking last 10-15 minutes. I think his presence would offer something none of the rest of our attack provides.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Glenn has made a career out of being slow, he has always had that uncanny knack, as all great strikers have, of goal hanging, lurking in just the right spot to turn the ball over the line and score goals.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He doesn't need to be quick if he knows the correct place to be for a set piece. Every game we miss an absolute sitter in the middle of the box it seems.

But he has to be there. Plus getting back onside has never been his strength, so last thing we want is a fast break only to find Murray is offside.

At some point, we have to move on from a 37 year old striker....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't really understand why we extended his contract for another year, but now we might as well get him back and use him as a striker coach. Then, when we're safe, bring him on for ten minutes at the Amex in the final home match by way of a testimonial - he'll probably have earned more this season than he'd have got from a testimonial anyway!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
But he has to be there. Plus getting back onside has never been his strength, so last thing we want is a fast break only to find Murray is offside.

We have been trying to move on from him since he was about 33 or 34, how many strikers have tried but failed to oust him from the team? Locadia and Andone are just two names that come to mind, and where are they now?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I'm not saying we don't "move on" from him overall. I'm only suggesting we might look to recall him so he can be an occasional option very briefly from the bench.

He could suit certain scenarios - such as a game where we have the other side absolutely pinned in their defensive third in the final 15 mins of a game where we desperately need a winner. He's the one we'd all want the ball to fall to in that situation, I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here