Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MP Caroline Lucas charged for protesting

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Just a point....but if they're protesting about the 'fracking'...how come when they pack up to go away do they then chain themselves to the lorries...is it a look at me moment....I will cause trouble justified or not....they got what they protested for...they wanted Quadrilla out of there....then use action to stop them leaving...the mind boggles...

Because they don't want the company to be able to take the equipment and use it elsewhere. If it's in balcombe the company can't use it at other potential sites.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Regardless of past careers and to return to the point. I am well aware that the techniques used by the Police here are legal. I am not horrified at their use but I do feel they should not have been used in this instance as the man posed no immediate threat. Self proclaimed experts can argue that rights and wrongs of that all day, I am fully aware the police acted lawfully I just don't agree with it. Why I get called a liar for that boggles the mind! I have no reason to big up security work, it's a ****ing shit industry filled with numpties. One less numpty now.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I am talking in the context of this particular alleged crime. Not in general. Obviously it should not come down to cost in all cases. Jesus. There are real muppets on this thread.

You're generalising by quoting the CPS charging manual but do you have any idea how much it costs to bring a prosecution ?
Of course the cost has to be considered relative to the seriousness (you wouldn't, for example, seek to extradite someone to face a charge of shoplifting because the likely disposal would be a fine or a Conditional Discharge).
The cost to prosecute an MP, or anyone else who lives locally, isn't huge (even if it goes to full trial, and it probably will because she'll use it for the publicity) and she won't qualify for legal aid.

Oh, and as for the "muppet" comment, **** off.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Because they don't want the company to be able to take the equipment and use it elsewhere. If it's in balcombe the company can't use it at other potential sites.
And just who are these so called protesters who are trying to impose their thoughts and actions on a legitimate drilling firm ...and the people of Balcombe....not all, but most of them are left wing trouble makers...others are lost in 70s politics....and C Lucas is an elected MP who's job is to represent her constituents in Parliament not go on marches.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The end result is everyone got what they wanted except the Fracking company, which is good. Caroline Lucas got in the paper, the rozzers got to manhandle innocent citizens, and cluless protestors got a day off school to make a stand. Everyone's a winner.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
And just who are these so called protesters who are trying to impose their thoughts and actions on a legitimate drilling firm ...and the people of Balcombe....not all, but most of them are left wing trouble makers...others are lost in 70s politics....and C Lucas is an elected MP who's job is to represent her constituents in Parliament not go on marches.

Careful what you say on here. You will upset that furhumper or what ever his name is

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
The end result is everyone got what they wanted except the Fracking company, which is good. Caroline Lucas got in the paper, the rozzers got to manhandle innocent citizens, and cluless protestors got a day off school to make a stand. Everyone's a winner.

I actually agree with most of that.

However, I thought the drillers actually found what they were looking for and now intend to apply for another permit and return?

And then it all starts again

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Careful what you say on here. You will upset that furhumper or what ever his name is
See what you your saying....I listen to all, but if Furhumper doesn't like it....then that is his problem....is he saying that the protesters have a right to voice their opinions and I haven't... furhumper...I like that....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I actually agree with most of that.

However, I thought the drillers actually found what they were looking for and now intend to apply for another permit and return?

And then it all starts again

Ah, could well be. I've lost track of it tbh. One thing's for sure, if they want to drill there, they will.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
See what you your saying....I listen to all, but if Furhumper doesn't like it....then that is his problem....is he saying that the protesters have a right to voice their opinions and I haven't... furhumper...I like that....

I think what he's saying, although I'd never presume to speak for him with any certainty, that you are perfectly entitled to your opinion but know that your opinion is wrong. Quite right too :wrong:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'm trying to work out why it isn't in the public interest?

An elected MP commits an offence above and beyond peaceful protest. Numerous others have been arrested and charged for the same offence. It's hardly going to cost a huge amount - it can't be tried at crown court so shouldn't be a huge amount of delay, nor a lengthy trial by jury. What kind of message does it give if she is let off?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I think it's in the public interest in so far as it will allow Lucas and others a platform to further bring the issues around fracking into the public arena. I think it's not in the interest of Sussex Police (torturing the people they are supposed to work for on behalf of vested corporate interests don't look good) or the fracking company themselves, or the wider government/masters of oppression. I applaud the CPS for making the brave decision to prosecute. It's a decision both the police and their puppet masters are likely to rue and regret. There's no love lost between the CPS and police at the best of times and this case will just exacerbate that conflict I feel.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think you'll find the government have done huge amounts of work trying to remove him. It was Europe intervening preventing deportation etc was it not?

sorry I missed this one
here is your answer
If I were to dress up in a smock and get some of my mates to pray in the street kneeling and hands together praying to the Christian God almighty holding up traffic I would most undoubtedly be arrested.
and rightly so
I am not anti-police when they do their job in an even handed way................which this was not in either of the examples

Dandyman

In London village.

Utterly clueless. She's one of the very few MPs willing to put herself on the line for ordinary people.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

What?

Balcombe is about as leafy and conservative (with a large and small 'c') as you can get.

You're making this up as you go along.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Isn't the point that they were arrested for obstructing others from doing what they were lawfully allowed to do. Prostesting would be standing by the side of the road with your placards and chanting and hopefully attracting attention to your point of view. They don't like fracking so the try and sotp it by obstruction. What happens if the greens took it further and blockaded you from filling up with petrol or maybe they didn't like the packaging at Asda so stopped you buying your weekly shop and so and so on. There is a line and if you cross it then you should expect the consequences. In the case of Lucas she is probably quite happy with the publicity.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Welcome to this thread. Thank goodness you are here. I'm surrounded by blinkered men and compulsive liars.

Hah! If you're relieved that Trigaaaaaaaar has appeared as an 11th hour witness for the defence then you really are a drowning man.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I feel represented by Caroline. I couldn't get there in person

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I feel represented by Caroline. I couldn't get there in person
She is supposed to represent you or at least her constituents in Parliament...that's why we elect MPs....there are plenty of people to represent you there...but therein lies the trouble...these people think they are representing everybody...they're not. This Luddite view of stopping progress will only cost the taxpayers...(you and me) more money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here