Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Most underrated movie

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Kill Bill should've been one film. There's so much flannel on both I reckon he could've edited into a single film about 180 minutes.

Tarantino reckons he couldn't, but as you say, that's him becoming too self indulgent.

I've always hoped someone would do an unofficial edit!
You could just fast forward through the bits that you think are unessential.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Kill Bill should've been one film. There's so much flannel on both I reckon he could've edited into a single film about 180 minutes.

Tarantino reckons he couldn't, but as you say, that's him becoming too self indulgent.

I've always hoped someone would do an unofficial edit!
Kill Bill is complete dirge

Pulp Fiction is Tarantino's zenith and nothing after has lived up to it. The dialogue, casting, characters, the weird twist and shock factor, and the chapters put in different order was just genius.

Once upon a time in Hollywood - what on earth was that all about?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Kill Bill is complete dirge

Pulp Fiction is Tarantino's zenith and nothing after has lived up to it. The dialogue, casting, characters, the weird twist and shock factor, and the chapters put in different order was just genius.

Once upon a time in Hollywood - what on earth was that all about?

I liked Once Upon… best thing he’s done in decades.

Tarantino struck gold a couple of times by managing to translate his ripping off of little known B-Movies and tv series’ into a hit.

He can’t hold a light to most of the directors whose work he steals.

Inarticulate, gibbering, incel, nerd.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Tarantino - I could watch the Kill Bill films over and over, especially the first. Reservoir Dogs was a shock fest at the time, but there's so much overly laboured stuff in it, and that opening sequence in the restaurant and Tarantino's acting is enough to make you want to shoot yourself in the gut.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Tarantino - I could watch the Kill Bill films over and over, especially the first. Reservoir Dogs was a shock fest at the time, but there's so much overly laboured stuff in it, and that opening sequence in the restaurant and Tarantino's acting is enough to make you want to shoot yourself in the gut.

Christ! His acting. Truly cringeworthy.

Very unpleasant man on set according to some. Something which he apologised for when his treatment of females on his sets came to light.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But anyway,

Die Hard 2.

I’m sure it made lots of money but was slated by a lot of people. I love it .

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
That is a brilliant scene about not tipping, those dialogues are part of what made his early films great and that the later ones seem to miss. Plus I cannot stand Di Caprio. More wooden than pinnochio

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
If nothing else (and I know it's not supposed to be the main topic) this shows the hige variety of opinion on Tarantino and his work. The restaurant scene in RD is one of the most memorable IMO, Tarantino or not (and in my world, his behaviour on set is of no relevance to the wider dicussion). Kill Bill I didn't care for. But Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I thought was superb. So vividly cinematic in places, and the rewriting of the Sharon Tate story was an act of love that I really appreciated. Like most people I'm sure, I approached those final scenes with a sense of dread but Tarantino shocked us with his happy ending, albeit a fictionalised one. I'm grateful to him for that. The easy way out (and probably the most Tarantino-esque) would have been the butchery of a beautiful woman. He spared us that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If nothing else (and I know it's not supposed to be the main topic) this shows the hige variety of opinion on Tarantino and his work. The restaurant scene in RD is one of the most memorable IMO, Tarantino or not (and in my world, his behaviour on set is of no relevance to the wider dicussion). Kill Bill I didn't care for. But Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I thought was superb. So vividly cinematic in places, and the rewriting of the Sharon Tate story was an act of love that I really appreciated. Like most people I'm sure, I approached those final scenes with a sense of dread but Tarantino shocked us with his happy ending, albeit a fictionalised one. I'm grateful to him for that. The easy way out (and probably the most Tarantino-esque) would have been the butchery of a beautiful woman. He spared us that.

Yeah agree, Once Upon a Time.. was done brilliantly.
Brad Pitt was excellent in it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Reservoir Dogs is great but I think its recognised as being great.
I'll respectfully disagree here. As a big fan of open water swimming, I found the film highly misleading.

(See also Ocean's 11).

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Recently rewatched this and found it just as good as the first time I watched it, decades ago (bearing in mind it was made in the 80s). Criminally underrated. edit - also free to watch on youtube I believe.
images.jpeg

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is great once you realise what it is.
First watch found it boring and slow as I went in expecting Pulp Fiction/Django level pacing and drama.
On subsequent watches really appreciate it more. There are so many quotable lines and subtly funny moments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here