Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Most underrated movie

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
If nothing else (and I know it's not supposed to be the main topic) this shows the hige variety of opinion on Tarantino and his work. The restaurant scene in RD is one of the most memorable IMO, Tarantino or not (and in my world, his behaviour on set is of no relevance to the wider dicussion). Kill Bill I didn't care for. But Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I thought was superb. So vividly cinematic in places, and the rewriting of the Sharon Tate story was an act of love that I really appreciated. Like most people I'm sure, I approached those final scenes with a sense of dread but Tarantino shocked us with his happy ending, albeit a fictionalised one. I'm grateful to him for that. The easy way out (and probably the most Tarantino-esque) would have been the butchery of a beautiful woman. He spared us that.
I've spoken to several people who'd watched the film but had never heard of Charles Manson!

Not underrated but after watching it yesterday I strongly recommend "One Life", the true story of Nicholas Winton (and others) and his fine effort of transporting Jewish and and other refugee children to safety in the UK after the Nazi invasion of Czechoslovakia.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
Transformer the Movie - 1986 version

Underperformed at the box office and initially received negative reviews.

As a kid, have you seen anything better? I still enjoy watching the fight scene between Megatron and Optimus Prime and get a tear in my eye when prime dies.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 3.33.21 PM.png

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
If "Defence of the Realm" starring Denham Elliott isn't already mentioned on this thread, then I'm mentioning it now. Same goes for "Salvador" starring James Woods and James Belushi, which remains one of my all time favourite films.
Salvador ! What a great film that is . Funny, terrifying at the same time . only fired up the dvd to put that on and treat the wife to it a few weeks ago . must be my tenth watch

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Kill Bill is complete dirge

Pulp Fiction is Tarantino's zenith and nothing after has lived up to it. The dialogue, casting, characters, the weird twist and shock factor, and the chapters put in different order was just genius.

Once upon a time in Hollywood - what on earth was that all about?
I agree with all you say. OUATIH was rubbish except for the marvelous last few minutes when Tarantino's penchant for violence as humour kicked in. The use of the flame thrower was genius. Pulp Fiction is my favourite film of all time.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead,' a Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke crime film that recently dropped on Freevee. I'd never even heard of it but it is a fantastic watch imho. Expertly directed by Sidney Lumet in 2007, the same guy who directed 12 Angry Men in...1957!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
"Leon" 1994 film with Jean Reno, Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman
the same year I think "The Crow" Brandon Lee. I liked the goth feel

I don't know if they were under rated though

Leon is a brilliant movie, with fantastic performances by those three. Portman was just 12 during filming, must be one of the greatest child performances.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure I'll be back to lampooning this thread so enough, but in the meantime Gift is on iPlayer.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here