Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Most underrated movie

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I think he's tended towards self indulgence in later films (esp Kill Bills), but Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are superb.
Pulp Fiction would be my number 1 with R Dogs well up there too along with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Several other honourable mentions — Django Unchained, Inglorious B etc. Worst for me was Dusk Till Dawn. Kill Bill(s) never quite did it for me either.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Pulp Fiction would be my number 1 with R Dogs well up there too along with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Several other honourable mentions — Django Unchained, Inglorious B etc. Worst for me was Dusk Till Dawn. Kill Bill(s) never quite did it for me either.
I only like the first 2 as the casting and acting was spot on - Harvey Kietel, Tim Roth, Steve Buscemi etc. The later films where the A listers had to be shoe-horned into the cast like DiCaprio and Pitt, the acting is wooden and they don't live up to the standard set by Dogs and Pulp

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I only like the first 2 as the casting and acting was spot on - Harvey Kietel, Tim Roth, Steve Buscemi etc. The later films where the A listers had to be shoe-horned into the cast like DiCaprio and Pitt, the acting is wooden and they don't live up to the standard set by Dogs and Pulp
I respectfully disagree about actors being 'shoehorned in'. They're actors playing parts, and playing them well from what I can see.

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
Cocoon (1985). Not sure if underrated is the right word, it seems it's just been completely forgotten.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I reckon 'Reign Over Me' could be considered underrated.

It's an Adam Sandler movie which I think puts it at a disadvantage. When people hear 'Adam Sandler' they think of his 90s comedies or the terrible Netflix movies he did recently. But when that man actually acts he is incredible.

If you've not watched it because its an Adam Sandler movie, give it a whirl.

It also has Don Cheadle and, terrible English accent in the Oceans trilogy aside, he's a wonderful actor.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Tarantino isn’t 'overrated', you simply don’t like his style, which is fair enough. He’s made a couple of turkeys but also some of the most remarkable and enduring movies of recent decades IMO. I cant stand all the Marvel and Star Wars stuff myself but would never call it overrated. It’s simply not for me.
Whether films are overrated or underrated is down to personal taste SHOCKER! Anyway, no worries. I don't want to be trapped in a lift with Tarantino fans quoting his ridiculously fake and hammy dialogue.

I'd like to add the black and white version (on the bluray) of Stephen King's The Mist. The general public give the film better reviews than the critics and imo it's better than the more famous King adaptions (oh God, don't make me watch the Shaw(sh)ank Redemption). The black and white version lifts if further imo. Underrated because I rarely find anyone who has watched it. It's not amazeballs but it's defintiley v enjoyable.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Watched it. Suprised I missed it first time round. It was pretty good. Very much of its time (cashing in on X-Files mania at the time).

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I think he's tended towards self indulgence in later films (esp Kill Bills), but Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are superb.
They are indeed, but Pulp Fiction is his pièce de résistance imo. I have watched it at least 30 times and enjoy it so much every time. Nothing wrong with a bit of slapstick and off-the-wall dialogue. "dead n****r storage", for example. Sheer brilliance.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Whether films are overrated or underrated is down to personal taste SHOCKER! Anyway, no worries. I don't want to be trapped in a lift with Tarantino fans quoting his ridiculously fake and hammy dialogue.

I'd like to add the black and white version (on the bluray) of Stephen King's The Mist. The general public give the film better reviews than the critics and imo it's better than the more famous King adaptions (oh God, don't make me watch the Shaw(sh)ank Redemption). The black and white version lifts if further imo. Underrated because I rarely find anyone who has watched it. It's not amazeballs but it's defintiley v enjoyable.
Have you watched the documentary series Get Gotti, about John Gotti the mafia boss? There are recordings of him and his accomplices, captured from phone taps and hidden microphones. Some of them could be extracts from Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
"Leon" 1994 film with Jean Reno, Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman
the same year I think "The Crow" Brandon Lee. I liked the goth feel

I don't know if they were under rated though

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There

AKA 'Best Shot' in the UK.

Hackman
Hopper
... and a score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Even if you don't like basketball, it's still a great film.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
You're wrong. To say you don't like a film or a director is quite different from saying they're overrated. If you say you don't like Pulp Fiction you're saying something about yourself and the film. If you say it's overrated you're saying something about what other people think; that they're somehow misguided and less astute than you are.

As for fake dialogue, hell would surely be a movie that replicated what most of us say in the real world. As it happens, I think Tarantino's dialogue can be memorable, hitting the sweet spot between natural speech and exchanges that build character and advance the narrative. Just one example -- the 'Le Big Mac' scene in Pulp Fiction.
If you don't like Shawshank then I guess we're doomed never to see eye to eye.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
You're wrong. To say you don't like a film or a director is quite different from saying they're overrated. If you say you don't like Pulp Fiction you're saying something about yourself and the film. If you say it's overrated you're saying something about what other people think; that they're somehow misguided and less astute than you are.

As for fake dialogue, hell would surely be a movie that replicated what most of us say in the real world. As it happens, I think Tarantino's dialogue can be memorable, hitting the sweet spot between natural speech and exchanges that build character and advance the narrative. Just one example -- the 'Le Big Mac' scene in Pulp Fiction.

If you don't like Shawshank then I guess we're doomed never to see eye to eye.
Unlike you, I wouldn't say someone's personal taste was "wrong", same as with music. Neither would I say that anyone else's personal taste is "misguided and less astute". What are you on about?! Relax, if you like Tarantino films that is great, no need to be so uptight about it. I liked Reservior Dogs when I saw it on release at the cinema and Pulp Fiction. But every time I rewatch a Tarantino, and I've seen them all, they don't hold up and personally I find him overrated (if that's ok with you). Someone above mentioned Jackie Brown and I would say that is by far his best. For me, he just became annoying and wait for it, overrated! No where am I saying I am right though.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I reckon 'Reign Over Me' could be considered underrated.

It's an Adam Sandler movie which I think puts it at a disadvantage. When people hear 'Adam Sandler' they think of his 90s comedies or the terrible Netflix movies he did recently. But when that man actually acts he is incredible.

If you've not watched it because its an Adam Sandler movie, give it a whirl.

It also has Don Cheadle and, terrible English accent in the Oceans trilogy aside, he's a wonderful actor.
Thanks for this, looks interesting, will seek out.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Have you watched the documentary series Get Gotti, about John Gotti the mafia boss? There are recordings of him and his accomplices, captured from phone taps and hidden microphones. Some of them could be extracts from Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs.
This sounds interesting (although the image of John Travolta that pops in my head puts me off).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here