Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mosques and churches

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think it was wednesday that c of e churches banned public worship so there are no mass gatherings at the moment in c of e churches

The Methodist Church nationally has advised Sunday worship (or any other day) should not take place. I would imagine most, of not all, are doing it.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Isn't the bigger question 'why aren't believers questioning their faith'?

If there is an interventionist god out there, why would she/he (see what i did there?) do this to us????

Might start another thread.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

If there is an interventionist god out there, why would she/he (see what i did there?) do this to us????

I think you are confusing God with a Superman film....also isn’t it the virus that is doing it

Also how do you know that people aren’t, just because you havnt heard about it

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why are you focusing on mosques & synagogues?

FYI my next door neighbour is a vicar and went to ‘work’ today in his attire so clearly churches in West Sussex are still open

My daughter’s church broadcast their service this morning with the vicar in full regalia.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And seeing as it's Sunday, here's a link to Bishop Hannington Memorial Church in Hove 10am live service which is happening as I type this.

It's my home church when I'm back in the UK, so I can vouch for it.

https://www.bhmc.org.uk/live.html

Phil Moon (Vicar) isn't doing it from the church as he's self-isolating (7 days to go), he's doing it from home.

So no other people there and responsible attitudes shown.

Worth a listen.

My parents married in Bishop Hannington church & I was christened there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

traditional response is either this is sent to test us, or a punishment. no, neither are consistent with a benevolent diety.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

The same reason Job didn’t when he was put through torment.

God has started plagues before and at the very least is allowing this virus to happen. Why? No idea. Maybe to remind us that we’re in a fallen world.

From a Christian point of view, tribulations in this world, no matter how severe, will ultimately mean nothing in the next. This world is like a gruelling test for eternity. It’s hard to keep that perspective at times, especially when you’re at a low ebb, but that’s what it is.

I know many atheists find this ridiculous, but so it goes. Each to their own.

Another thing people say is, well, that God must be a right b@5tard, then. But He’s not human. He sees a bigger picture that we can’t possibly comprehend.

Again, atheists I’ve spoken to don’t like this response and think anyone who believes is barmy, but that’s fine. We’re all entitled to an opinion.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
traditional response is either this is sent to test us, or a punishment. no, neither are consistent with a benevolent diety.

Here’s a quote from C.S. Lewis.

“The settled happiness and security which we all desire, God withholds from us by the very nature of the world: But joy, pleasure, and merriment, He has scattered broadcast. We are never safe, but we have plenty of fun, and some ecstasy. It is not hard to see why. The security we crave would teach us to rest our hearts in this world and oppose an obstacle to our return to God: A few moments of happy love, a landscape, a symphony, a merry meeting with our friends, a bathe or a football match, have no such tendency. Our Father refreshes us on the journey with some pleasant inns, but will not encourage us to mistake them for home.”

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea

God has started plagues before and at the very least is allowing this virus to happen. Why? No idea. Maybe to remind us that we’re in a fallen world.

From a Christian point of view, tribulations in this world, no matter how severe, will ultimately mean nothing in the next. This world is like a gruelling test for eternity. It’s hard to keep that perspective at times, especially when you’re at a low ebb, but that’s what it is.

Another thing people say is, well, that God must be a right b@5tard, then. But He’s not human. He sees a bigger picture that we can’t possibly comprehend.

Again, atheists I’ve spoken to don’t like this response and think anyone who believes is barmy, but that’s fine. We’re all entitled to an opinion.

A very well informed and measured response, thank you. I'm afraid I sit firmly with the atheists on this one but as you say, each to their own. I would however caveat that when 'each to their own' causes unnecessary harm in the name of god, god is not responsible and is not to be held accountable. A human made that choice and should own it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My daughter’s church broadcast their service this morning with the vicar in full regalia.

That's what I was thinking. He may be off to do a live link.

Church beambacks ! Mind you, they were doing that 30 odd years ago when Billy Graham turned up.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Here’s a quote from C.S. Lewis.

“The settled happiness and security which we all desire, God withholds from us by the very nature of the world: But joy, pleasure, and merriment, He has scattered broadcast. We are never safe, but we have plenty of fun, and some ecstasy. It is not hard to see why. The security we crave would teach us to rest our hearts in this world and oppose an obstacle to our return to God: A few moments of happy love, a landscape, a symphony, a merry meeting with our friends, a bathe or a football match, have no such tendency. Our Father refreshes us on the journey with some pleasant inns, but will not encourage us to mistake them for home.”

I've read his works. 'Mere Christianity' is heavy going but nonetheless a worthy read.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
ironic really, Catholic mass in Italy and some Islamic ceremony in Iran are what caused explosions of incidence in those countries. where is their god?

if we have official banning of pubs and resturants, we should have official banning of religious gatherings too.

I had or have a hunch that a lot of the spread was the middle classes coming back from their skiing holidays in the alps etc, this is why that so many of the establishment have it. So far 25% of the deaths have been muslim out of 4% of the population, the way their culture is set up is geared to spreading it..

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Try a Polish supermarket. I have one near me NEXT DOOR to a LIDL. The Lidl was completely empty, but I came back with fresh veg, some nice potatoes and butter.

Loads of bread there too and a freezer stacked with frozen veg.

I was shopping at 7pm.

Sorry off topic: Cats out of the bag! I've got an eastern European wife and concur, pretty fully stocked.

Also I've managed to get plenty of meat yesterday after enduring a week of empty shelves everywhere. A bit pricier but check out local farm shops.... A couple round me were also struggling getting stuff from suppliers, but found a really good one that butchers on site (so no supply issue), and can put in advance orders as opens 2 days a week. Sure you'll find plenty similar in Sussex if you're sick of empty shelves on the local supermarket.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii

If you contracted COVID-19 (I hope you don’t BTW) and it got to a critical state. Would you stay at home and pray or seek medical assistance?

Asking for an Atheist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here