Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mosques and churches

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Hmm, I detect a gotcha!

But in answer, I’d seek medical help. For the time being, I’m part of this world and so have physical needs (ooh-er) like needing to eat and drink and poo. Medical needs would be part of that.

In the dark ages and medieval period, medicine was part of the duties of a monastery. They’d treat the sick, make medicines, and write books on the subject. Nuns did too; Hildegard of Bingen for example.

I’m not bothered whether people are religious or not but just in the interests of accuracy; the church held back medical progress for centuries and there is a lot of evidence for this eg banning any dissection that disproved the work of Galen. This was the Dark Ages in Europe and can be contrasted with the Golden Age of scientific and medical progress in the Islamic world in the same era. Ask any GCSE History student.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you actually read my post you required you will see I mentioned mosques, churches and synagogues, so how the **** am I focusing on mosques and synagogues?

Also the thread title reads mosques and churches.

:facepalm:

Lets have a little look at the evidence and why I asked the question?

So why were more than half of the mosques in the UK open today for prayers??

No mention of churches?

Scores of mosques in Leicester, Lancashire, London, Birmingham, Luton and other parts of the country chose not to shut their doors and introduced restrictions instead, such as urging anyone who has coronavirus symptoms (constant cough or temperature) not come to the mosque at all.

One mosque in Manchester, Jameah Masjid E Noor, even announced a special Jama’ah for the over 50s.

Anti-closure scholars have justified their decision by emphasising the importance of prayers in Islam, the lack of a government ban on mass gatherings, and the fact that general wider society has not shut down.

Earlier today Sheikh Haitham al-Haddad, of the Islamic Council of Europe, reiterated that he categorically disagrees with the full closure of mosques on the grounds that “no one has the right whatsoever to control the Houses of Allah.”

In a fatwa he urged Muslims to try to perform Jumu’ah as much as they can, but if they cannot find a congregation to join then they should try to establish Jumu’ah wherever they can in homes or even in parks. And if they can’t then they must pray Dhuhr instead.

“It could be argued from a worldly perspective that gathering in the mosque for Jum’uah or daily prayers will add to the spread of the virus. While we take all proven precautions, we must remember Allāh is the one who causes means to reach their ends. We remember His ability over all things and His subjugating of the creation to us when we obey His commands and establish His glorification on the earth,” the fatwa said.

Or here?

All pubs, all clubs, all restaurants have been told but most mosques have decided to close?? And how many churches have remained open??

Pubs shouldn't have opened after Boris's announcement at Friday teatime but it's widely.acknowledged the people who defied the ban are selfish pricks, but firstly why didn't Boris make a point of banning all gatherings at religious sites and secondly why haven't people who went to mosques and synagogues not called out the same?

Just mosques and synagogues?

I'm not on a wind up and I don't know the number but if there is even 1 open mosque/church/synagogue open today it's one too many.

Fair play - mentioned them here

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m not bothered whether people are religious or not but just in the interests of accuracy; the church held back medical progress for centuries and there is a lot of evidence for this eg banning any dissection that disproved the work of Galen. This was the Dark Ages in Europe and can be contrasted with the Golden Age of scientific and medical progress in the Islamic world in the same era. Ask any GCSE History student.

Correction, Rome and the Pope wanted to keep power so held back medical progress.
The church is not Roman.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rossy G was talking about the role of the church in the Dark Ages. The church was entirely Rome and the Pope in those pre Reformation days. Mine was a historical comment and no reflection at all on the modern church.

No, there were the Coptic church (Israel, Lebanon, Ethiopia etc), and the Orthodox churches in Eastern Europe that didn't follow Rome's dictat.
The church in Rome had power and wanted to keep that power at all costs.
I'm also making historical comments.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Rossy G was talking about the role of the church in the Dark Ages. The church was entirely Rome and the Pope in those pre Reformation days. Mine was a historical comment and no reflection at all on the modern church.

I said:

In the dark ages and medieval period, medicine was part of the duties of a monastery. They’d treat the sick, make medicines, and write books on the subject. Nuns did too; Hildegard of Bingen for example.

All of this is demonstrably true.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No, there were the Coptic church (Israel, Lebanon, Ethiopia etc), and the Orthodox churches in Eastern Europe that didn't follow Rome's dictat.
The church in Rome had power and wanted to keep that power at all costs.
I'm also making historical comments.

Good point, I had forgotten about those other churches although I don’t think that affected the English church, which was affiliated to Rome. I also agree that Rome’s intention when holding back scientific progress was to re-enforce it’s own power. It was only with the arrival of the Renaissance that the human body was even drawn correctly and scientific enquiry was actively discouraged, in case it discovered anything contrary to church teaching.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I said:

All of this is demonstrably true.

Yes it is, but without scientific enquiry (banned by church authorities unless validating church teaching) all that could be achieved were primitive remedies and convalescence.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes it is, but without scientific enquiry (banned by church authorities unless validating church teaching) all that could be achieved were primitive remedies and convalescence.

There were plenty of monasteries and convents that defied order from Rome.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Lets have a little look at the evidence and why I asked the question?

No mention of churches?

Or here?

Just mosques and synagogues?

Fair play - mentioned them here

The quotes you've picked up on were in a direct response to someone who said the churches had already all closed so then I asked why mosques hadn't closed also, please don't tery and twist this into me going on an anti islam tirade which inevitably I knew someone would.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here