Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mosques and churches

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not on a wind up and I don't know the number but if there is even 1 open mosque/church/synagogue open today it's one too many.

Why are you focusing on mosques & synagogues?

FYI my next door neighbour is a vicar and went to ‘work’ today in his attire so clearly churches in West Sussex are still open

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
FYI my next door neighbour is a vicar and went to ‘work’ today in his attire so clearly churches in West Sussex are still open

I saw a young lad in a full football kit yesterday, I'm sure he wasn't going to play in a match.

Did you see anyone else going into his church?
Did the vicar actually tell you his church is open to worshippers?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

Many are conducting services in their churches via video links, they won’t have a congregation in the church.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I saw a young lad in a full football kit yesterday, I'm sure he wasn't going to play in a match.

Did you see anyone else going into his church?
Did the vicar actually tell you his church is open to worshippers?

The only time he wears his robes are a Sunday morning, I’m not aware or him going out in them to do anything else.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Mate. Crodo was fishing. He caught a Spence. Enough said. :thumbsup:

Mate, Crodo's not. (See post #40.)

I posted to answer him and others that at least one major Christian denomination had acted prior to his question.

Here in the UAE where Islam is the predominant religion, all mosques, churches, gurdwaras, temples and other religious buildings have closed for at least 4 weeks.

At mosques, only the Azan (call for prayer) will be given out to alert worshippers about prayer times. Mosque doors will remain closed.

The words 'pray at home' will be repeated twice at the end of the Azan.

Ablution halls at mosques will also be closed.

If it's deemed appropriate to do it over here, it should be equally so in the UK.

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Yes they are 'open' in the sense that the doors are unlocked but there are NO formal services such as Communion or Evensong taking place.

I am sure that Clergy will be present for those who want to speak to them.

C of E Churches are open for people that want to visit and presumably contemplate and pray as they wish. Although clearly you can do that at home.

A small but sad footnote is that the BBC One Show would have been at St Mary's Storrington this morning to celebrate the Mother's Day Service being held by our wonderfully charismatic/eccentric Assistant Priest and Full Time Auctioneer Rupert Toovey (Google him!).

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yes they are 'open' in the sense that the doors are unlocked but there are NO formal services such as Communion or Evensong taking place.

I am sure that Clergy will be present for those who want to speak to them.

C of E Churches are open for people that want to visit and presumably contemplate and pray as they wish. Although clearly you can do that at home.

Quite so.

If people have any further questions concerning C of E church openings, pastoral visits, etc., there's every chance they'll have them answered via the link below:

https://www.churchofengland.org/more/media-centre/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-churches

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The only time he wears his robes are a Sunday morning, I’m not aware or him going out in them to do anything else.

Just because he's gone out wearing his work clobber it doesn't mean - " so clearly churches in West Sussex are still open"
Maybe he has gone in to pray on his own.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mate, Crodo's not. (See post #40.)

I posted to answer him and others that at least one major Christian denomination had acted prior to his question.

Here in the UAE where Islam is the predominant religion, all mosques, churches, gurdwaras, temples and other religious buildings have closed for at least 4 weeks.

At mosques, only the Azan (call for prayer) will be given out to alert worshippers about prayer times. Mosque doors will remain closed.

The words 'pray at home' will be repeated twice at the end of the Azan.

Ablution halls at mosques will also be closed.

If it's deemed appropriate to do it over here, it should be equally so in the UK.

I see. I am quite shocked by that. I don't recall ever having seen a 'serious' post of his. This (and starting this thread) is consequently mental. Seems that he has gone all Alfredmizen. Weird. Defend yourself, Crodo!

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
...and from an Anglican POV, the Archbishop of Canterbury has said there are to be no more services for now and that weddings are to be restricted to five guests.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
And seeing as it's Sunday, here's a link to Bishop Hannington Memorial Church in Hove 10am live service which is happening as I type this.

It's my home church when I'm back in the UK, so I can vouch for it.

https://www.bhmc.org.uk/live.html

Phil Moon (Vicar) isn't doing it from the church as he's self-isolating (7 days to go), he's doing it from home.

So no other people there and responsible attitudes shown.

Worth a listen.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
And seeing as it's Sunday, here's a link to Bishop Hannington Memorial Church in Hove 10am live service which is happening as I type this.

It's my home church when I'm back in the UK, so I can vouch for it.

https://www.bhmc.org.uk/live.html

Phil Moon (Vicar) isn't doing it from the church as he's self-isolating (7 days to go), he's doing it from home.

So no other people there and responsible attitudes shown.

Worth a listen.
Jubilee church Worthing likewise...although a technical hitch means now 11.30

https://www.jubilee-church.co.uk/

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
This morning’s service from St Peter & St Paul, Rustington. Starts around the sixteenth minute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here