Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] More important - Premier League or Europa

More important - premier league or Europa

• Total voters

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Europa is more important. 14/16games or so if we wanna win? Get into the CL.

That's my only way of thought here. Probably easier than finishing 5th in the league and scoring a CL place assuming all English teams do a decent job

May as well go balls out to win a trophy

If we wanna be a CL team better start beating Europa teams

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Europa League, for sure. Realistically, we are unlikely to progress much higher up the PL (yeh, I know RDZ regards the sky as the limit - but come on - now much higher can we/will we get?) The challenge will be to stay at, or near, the level we are now.
The Europa League though, a new challenge, new opportunities, more chances to do better than we've ever done before. Bring it on!

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I think the Premier League is more important. If we want to reach the Champions League target that some of the players are suggesting, I think we have a better chance by qualifying through the league - especially as there should be five spots for Champions League football. It looks like Chelsea, Manchester United and Newcastle have slipped off early and that might be an important advantage we have, as they may recover to their previous levels in the upcoming seasons. I really think it is now or never.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The Premier League. If you were asked to choose which competition you would most want to be in next year, The Europa League or the Premier League, I think we would all choose the PL wouldn't we? We can't get all billy big bollocks and think we are an established side that won't get relegated, getting dumped out of the PL would set us back years, getting dumped out of the Europa League would be a bit disappointing, but it would still be a progression from the level we have been at.
I would absolutely love to get to the Final, and maybe win it, but doing well in the PL is what gave us the opportunity and is the clubs bread and butter.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
This year definitely PL. Show we can qualify for Europe twice in a row and think we can really seriously look at expanding the squad depth to have enough to challenge on two fronts. At the moment we’re still too short to be able to do that imo.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
More chance of winning the PL than the EL this season* - IMO, like.

*Close to fack all chance in both!

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
I think the Premier League is more important. If we want to reach the Champions League target that some of the players are suggesting, I think we have a better chance by qualifying through the league - especially as there should be five spots for Champions League football. It looks like Chelsea, Manchester United and Newcastle have slipped off early and that might be an important advantage we have, as they may recover to their previous levels in the upcoming seasons. I really think it is now or never.
Good points…. As much as we may not like it…. Europe every year has to be to be the goal. It attracts better players and provides a higher profile/ commercial base for club. Even after signing AF we are still under 1m twitter followers. This matters, regardless what you think of X / twitter. It matters a lot.
To do that means finishing in European places until we have enough experience to win in Europe, a la WH

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I stil
14% voting for EL.

I wonder if that would’ve been significantly higher before we played AEK?
l still think we will get to the knockout stage, and I want us to go as far as we can, but the question is, which is the more important competition.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm slightly surprised at the "Europa League is difficult to win" type comments.

I won't suggest it's easy to win, but as a high-performing Premier League club, there aren't too many sides out there that are materially better than us. So, unless one of the super clubs flops in the Champions League and drops down to the Europa League, we have as good a chance as any. The best side in the competition, as it stands, is Liverpool, and we know we can more than match them on our day.

That doesn't mean the Europa League is more important, of course, but surely the point of doing well in the Premier League is to have the chance to have a crack in Europe and, when there, surely you don't just throw in the towel. What's the point of qualifying if you immediately downgrade the Europa League and focus on trying to get there again, only to concede as soon as you reach it. Rinse and repeat.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Premier League is the more important by far. Europa League is a nice achievement and incredible to see us playing in, but it’s still the second tier European competition to the Champions League.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
This year's Premier league is basically a write off with the depleted resources so not expecting anything to much. Europa league for me as its totally alien to us and would be exciting to go deep into it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This year's Premier league is basically a write off with the depleted resources so not expecting anything to much. Europa league for me as its totally alien to us and would be exciting to go deep into it.
This. EPL league position will be nothing special this season, for very good reasons. Whereas the Europa League marks a new high level of achievement for the club in overall terms, and every round progressed just raises the bar ever higher. Damn right it's exciting!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The way we are Mourinhoing our way around Europe (2-0, 2-0, 1-0, 1-0) makes me think we might actually have more chance of winning that than finishing top 7.

I know Top 8 could do it but that's looking less sure atm.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I want to see us win something in my lifetime, and right now we are just 3 two leg ties away from the final of a European competition. So 7 matches from winning it.

Europa League for me. Although if our league position were more precarious, I may think differently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here