Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] More important - Premier League or Europa

More important - premier league or Europa

• Total voters

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If we have a reasonable chance of finishing fifth, which I think we do, then clearly the Premier League.

Guess the answer is which one gives us the better odds of being in the CL.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
When all this ridiculousness is over I want a shining trophy or two to show for it.

Neither is more important though. We need to compete on all fronts as has been suggested.
Got to love the "or two" here! Personally i would be ecstatic with one, don't care which, just please win something!
The nub of all this is that while i fully expected that this season would cause problems with the fixture pile up i had hoped that it would not start this early. We had the Enciso blow followed by Estupinan not being available for manu. Now Dunk possibly Gross and Milner and we are not out of September yet. It just shows how travel, injuries, niggles and sickness (Ferguson) can pretty soon change a rosy situation into a worrying one.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
If we have a reasonable chance of finishing fifth, which I think we do, then clearly the Premier League.

I would love to be in the champions league. But we have no chance of winning the champions league. We do have a chance of winning the Europa with the added bonus of playing some of the big boys along the way.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I would love to be in the champions league. But we have no chance of winning the champions league. We do have a chance of winning the Europa with the added bonus of playing some of the big boys along the way.

Mad that we are talking about it but if we do end up in the CL somehow, chances are we would end up back in the Europa anyway.

But just qualifying would be massive for us trying to hold on to some of our players and manager though.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
IMO, more chance of winning the EL next season if we qualify for the CL, then enter the EL, than winning the EL this season.

The R/R isn't there to prioritise EL this season.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Europa League is ultimately meaningless if we don't win it, whereas every Premier League position matters, particularly top 8.

So with that reasoning, Premier League is considerably more important.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
PL is the most important as it pays for the ticket into Europe.
Living amongst a load of PL luvvie supporters listening to all their escapades in Euro competitions over the years, I’ve been desperate for Brighton to play abroad which is why I can’t wait for the three games coming up whether we do well or not.
But, we must protect the squad to compete in the PL.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Europa League is ultimately meaningless if we don't win it, whereas every Premier League position matters, particularly top 8.

So with that reasoning, Premier League is considerably more important.

Presumably we will get more money from EL if we got past the group stages.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Presumably we will get more money from EL if we got past the group stages.
Each group winner earns €1,100,000 and each runner-up €550,000. Reaching the knock-out stage triggers additional bonuses: €500,000 for the round of 32, €1,200,000 for the round of 16, €1,800,000 for the quarter-finals and €2,800,000 for the semi-finals.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I've never had any interest in European football and hate that uefa continue to push expansion of European football to the detriment of domestic leagues. The resulting fixture congestion is awful and going to get worse. As we know already, TV audiences is where the money is and match going fans are just pawns. So this trend will doubtless continue...

I'm actually not really interested in any game that the Albion aren't in, or at least affected by. But I am vitally interested in any game or competition which involves the Albion.

So, although I would be pleased if European football didn't exist, I am happy that we have reached this level and want to experience this new Brighton excitement. I will be in attendance at all 6 of our group stage matches.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003

Current best odds for a top 4 finish are 9-4, so top 5 would be around 7-4.

Current best odds to win the Europa League: 14-1.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I hope we bounce back and qualify for knock out stages of Europa League, but tomorrow’s game against Bournemouth is more important to win than the game on Thursday.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Europa League for me. We're 1/3 of the way to safety already so the European hangover would have to be catastrophic to drop us into relegation trouble. So focusing on the Premier League is about putting all our effort into finishing high-midtable rather than low- or mid-midtable. And I know every place is worth another £2m and makes a difference to player recruitment/retention (and manager retention) but that's just about the business of running a football club, not the romance of supporting one. Not the joy of it.

As someone said earlier, we should be aiming for glory. Personally I haven't paid the slightest bit of attention to European football until it affected us but I know that lots of armchair football fans do. We've got an opportunity this season, which may not come around again for a while, to showcase our current beautiful, crazy style of football to millions of viewers across the continent. To really put Brighton & Hove on the football map.

And to have some amazing away days. I desperately want to be at that final in Dublin.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Neither, it's a balancing act. It's one we almost got right on Thursday (if we hadn't shipped the 2nd and 3rd sloppy goals), then hopefully we're able to field a somewhat fresh side tomorrow.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
IMO, more chance of winning the EL next season if we qualify for the CL, then enter the EL, than winning the EL this season.

The R/R isn't there to prioritise EL this season.
There isn't any more chance of winning the Europa League next season by qualifying for the Champions League and dropping down.

In the last 10 seasons only 3 sides have finished 3rd in the group stage of the Champions League and gone on to win the Europa League. Sevilla (15-16 & 22-23) and Atletico Madrid (17-18).

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
There isn't any more chance of winning the Europa League next season by qualifying for the Champions League and dropping down.

In the last 10 seasons only 3 sides have finished 3rd in the group stage of the Champions League and gone on to win the Europa League. Sevilla (15-16 & 22-23) and Atletico Madrid (17-18).
I don't really mean by historical precedent, rather that we would, in that example had another season of improvement, income and further squad improvements to compete better.

Besides, if we are looking at precedent how many teams have won the EL as their first competition in Europe?

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
League all the way.
Europa is a cup competition.

Very very hard to win (out of 32 teams initially plus CL 3rd placers later on).

For the same outcome we only need to finish 4th out of 20 (or 5th).

I blame Manchester Utd for devaluing all cup competitions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here