Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes Silence

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Agreed. Seems to be a need to be SEEN to be more grief stricken/sympathetic than the next person. Just hope it does not spread outside of football.

Already has mate. One of the reasons I stay well clear of facebook and twitter etc. Couldn't believe the idiot who started the clapping and then for the other morons to join in.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
It annoys me that applause is accepted instead of silence on such occasions and it only happens at football grounds. It was only introduced to drown out those who couldn't observe the silence...Personally I prefer the silence, but hey, I'm ex services..

No harm done and no dis-respect shown but I just like to see things done properly when it comes to Remembrance.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I think a lot of people thought that the silence was " during the last post " being played
They were only doing what they thought was right not good coming on here and start calling them all names thats a poor show if anything.
It wasnt deliberrately being disrespectful was it ? Chill out

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think a lot of people thought that the silence was " during the last post " being played
They were only doing what they thought was right not good coming on here and start calling them all names thats a poor show if anything.
It wasnt deliberrately being disrespectful was it ? Chill out

Accepted that it wasn't deliberately disrespectful but come on, how can you have a period of silence during a piece of music!!! I've been going to football for 40 years and there has always been a minutes silence as far back as I can remember. I thought the instructions were pretty clear but maybe next year the silence should start on the refs' whistle to avoid confusion!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Accepted that it wasn't deliberately disrespectful but come on, how can you have a period of silence during a piece of music!!! I've been going to football for 40 years and there has always been a minutes silence as far back as I can remember. I thought the instructions were pretty clear but maybe next year the silence should start on the refs' whistle to avoid confusion!

Agree on that one

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Already has mate. One of the reasons I stay well clear of facebook and twitter etc. Couldn't believe the idiot who started the clapping and then for the other morons to join in.

It used to be said one of the characteristics of the UK was the stiff upper lip, carrying on through adversity with a calm resolve. Now emoting at every opportunity is the norm. It all started getting OTT during the Diana funeral soap opera and has gone down hill ever since.

A simple one minute silence is all that's needed to show respect in the vast majority of situations.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just seen a number of stars in the entertainment world have been photographed holding a poppy to their lips requesting silence during the 2 mins silence at 11.00am today.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just seen a number of stars in the entertainment world have been photographed holding a poppy to their lips requesting silence during the 2 mins silence at 11.00am today.

And a witch hunt for any star which isn't in this photograph?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
And a witch hunt for any star which isn't in this photograph?

You try to turn most threads into a witch hunt.

It's time you sought some psychiatric help for your obvious problems.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I would say if anybody felt unhappy about Saturday, just pay your respects at 11.00 am today. My place of work pauses to respect the moment and I'm sure others do too. I can't believe this thread has lived on. It was no more than a misunderstanding on Saturday and I am confident nobody at all meant any disrespect.

Hope to take a dog walk up to the Chattri today for 11am.

Attachments

• KESTREL 098.jpg
    KESTREL 098.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 121
  • KESTREL 103.jpg
    KESTREL 103.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 122
  • KESTREL 102.jpg
    KESTREL 102.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 126

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Thought the bugler who played the last post was superb , but it certainly wasnt reveille that was played after it.

I think it was "Come to the cookhouse door boys" i.e. its time for grub so get in an orderly queue.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think it was "Come to the cookhouse door boys" i.e. its time for grub so get in an orderly queue.

It was definitely not that tune but 1 of the versions of reveille. The most common of which as previously said is Charlie Charlie get out of bed. There are a number of others that the duty bugler played during my army service. I couldnt even get a note out of a bugle.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
BBC managed to go across half a dozen venues in the 2 minutes. One about half a minute in played The Last Post for 10 seconds and then it was cut out as they moved to the next site....

Well the 2 minutes silence at my work was impeccably observed by everyone.

Except the M.D and another Director who chose this moment to go outside to smoke, straight through production, while having a chat about football.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
In the 17 years I have worked for my company they have never observed the 2 minute silence on this date....which annoys the hell out of me. No one else apart from me even wears a poppy in the weeks prior to it either. Usually I close my office door, take my phone of the hook & observe the silence by myself - but this year decided to take 20 mins out of my day to wander over to the War Memorial in Peacehaven which is 200yds from work. At least 100 people there today including loads of kids from the local playgroups & schools...who were impeccably behaved throughout the whole service.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Hope to take a dog walk up to the Chattri today for 11am.

As a young child growing up in Westdene, we used to play football by the mill, and often used to gaze over to the Chattri -for years, I wondered what it was in the distance. Then, when we were older, we would walk over there. Yes, lovely spot on a fine day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here