Minutes Silence

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Young Chap north west corner stated the clapping I think it was to show appreciation for the very good Salvation Army musicians, I do not think for a moment it was done with any intention of disrespect and he did look embarrassed after when his friends pointed out he had started clapping at the most inappropriate moment.

Oh dear, poor bloke! That is exactly how it sounded to me, that a few people mistakenly gave the musicians a round of applause, which lead to a bit of confusion.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Imo the mk fans started applauding and others Inc the players followed. The problem comes from the fact that sometimes clapping is expected while other times it is silence.
Clapping has become the new silence...... and it irritates me intensely. ...

Clapping has become the new silence...... and it irritates me intensely. ...

If I remember correctly, the minutes applause was only introduced after Leeds fans sang "there's only one Don Review" all the way through a minutes silence for Sir Matt Busby.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
how did we get the silent reflection bit so wrong yesterday?

never mind though......i still believe eveyones heart was in the right place

sadly , I think it's not important as much to some people as others and weren't there to listen to the order of proceedings.
We had some come in behind us in the 1901 talking as loud as you like only to be shhhhhh'ed by the stewards.
It's not like they didn't know the club would do something to remember.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Without dragging this on, but at no time was applause even suggested .so shouldnt have happened BUT if that is how people wanted to show their respect so be it.

The problem is that the current culture at football is to clap these days. So I can understand why some got confused and clapped. Even some of the players were clapping;,some crown members took their lead from this. Although there was confusion it was still respectful and dignified imho.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Seriously?

Not everyone knows the last post and then reville.

Immaculately observed by everyone, to try and insinuate otherwise is more an affront than the know all post by the OP.

This.
I simply can't believe anyone is actually questioning this. It sums up all that's wrong with the current day Poppy appeal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Imo the mk fans started applauding and others Inc the players followed. The problem comes from the fact that sometimes clapping is expected while other times it is silence.

I was stood in the South stand and the first claps I heard came from the North.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I was watching the start of the Stoke Chelsea game. I clearly heard the announcer state that there would be a minutes silence on the blast of the referees whistle AFTER the last post.
The last post finished, the players broke away & the whole crowd just started giving it "Come on Stoke / Chelsea" with that roar you get at the end of a silence.
The referee had the whistle to his lips, about to start the minute silence; he & the other officials looked very confused, shrugged their shoulders & got on with the game.
I am sure that no malice at all was intended, the Last Post was observed in silence, but these things happen.
No harm done, just came across as a bit confusing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was watching the start of the Stoke Chelsea game. I clearly heard the announcer state that there would be a minutes silence on the blast of the referees whistle AFTER the last post.
The last post finished, the players broke away & the whole crowd just started giving it "Come on Stoke / Chelsea" with that roar you get at the end of a silence.
The referee had the whistle to his lips, about to start the minute silence; he & the other officials looked very confused, shrugged their shoulders & got on with the game.
I am sure that no malice at all was intended, the Last Post was observed in silence, but these things happen.
No harm done, just came across as a bit confusing.

So there's confusion elsewhere. Interesting. Makes me wonder why clubs don't just have a simple minute silence then. It's a lot easier to organise with a big crowd than these more elaborate multi-part affairs which require instruction.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I got to observe the minutes silence today at 11am your time.
I've been doing invoicing and listening to Classic FM online, then the program went over to the war memorial in London and the minutes silence took place, with me contributing from here.
They don't do the November remembrance here, they save it for Anzac Day on April 25th.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But you had to start a thread about it.

Nobody who applauded were trying to do anything other than show respect.

You however have have tried to be better than they are.

I don't think Drew is saying anyone was trying to be disrespectful by applauding, but rather that the accepted norm (as announced) is for silence.

Personally, given the enormity of what we are remembering, I think silence is far more appropriate than applause.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It was too complicated. The last post seemed lasted quite a long time, at least 2 minutes, then silence for, a minute ? then another piece, total about 4 minutes. The silence was observed during the last post so for me, there was no need for a further period of silence, people reflected during the last post, the applause at the end of that, kind of felt fitting so I don't think it detracted at all from the power of the moment, infact in some ways it felt right

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Seriously?

Not everyone knows the last post and then reville.

Did they really need to know it? I don't. Richie Reynolds explained the moment of silence starts after one song and ends with the other song. When one song ends, you fall silent until the next one starts. It isn't rocket science.

Immaculately observed by everyone, to try and insinuate otherwise is more an affront than the know all post by the OP.

But it wasn't. The moment of silence that was supposed to occur between the two songs was interrupted with applause. It may have been respectful applause, but the moments silence was not "immaculately observed".

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Exactly the same thing just happened at the Villa game.
No harm done, (speaking as an ex serviceman).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports