Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes Silence

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
On another note on this, the Standard Bearers had to execute a Wet Dip.

Probably over the heads of most.

I didn't notice them myself but it was quite damp out there.

"Wet Dip - Sex in a body of water ranging in size from a bath to the ocean. Common amongst gay couples in Brighton."

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And since many of them would have been Nazis a bloody good thing too?

Plenty of innocent Germans died in the war.
Plenty of Germans left Germany before the war because of the Nazis.
Plenty of Germans stayed in Germany and resisted or opposed the Nazis.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Agree. Think the club have done a good job with the wreaths and inviting veterans representing both teams etc but might need a little tweak for next year.

I don't go to a remembrance service tomorrow so I like to pay my respects with a minutes silence at the footballl. Minutes applause not the same drew

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
To be honest - when they read out the order of songs and then the minute silence somewhere in between
I thought to myself "eh - how is this going to work" - so it didn't surprise me that hardly anyone
knew what was going on.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Seriously!!

I think that everyone understands that remembrance is a minutes silence but the fact that some people chose to applaud, rightly or wrongly should not be in question!

I personally stood silent throughout the applause but didn't think bad of the guys around me who applauded! Paying respect is paying respect regardless how one chooses to pay it!

Britain does Remembrance with class and today was no different! Lest we forget.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Seriously!!

I think that everyone understands that remembrance is a minutes silence but the fact that some people chose to applaud, rightly or wrongly should not be in question!

I personally stood silent throughout the applause but didn't think bad of the guys around me who applauded! Paying respect is paying respect regardless how one chooses to pay it!

Britain does Remembrance with class and today was no different! Lest we forget.

My point was that the process wasn't explained very well, so people didn't know when to clap and when to
stay silent. The result was somewhere in the middle.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't believe all this bitch slapping over Remembrance :mad:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My point was that the process wasn't explained very well, so people didn't know when to clap and when to
stay silent. The result was somewhere in the middle.

Without dragging this on, but at no time was applause even suggested .so shouldnt have happened BUT if that is how people wanted to show their respect so be it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
don’t these things usually involve just the last post and a referees whistle whether at the beginning or the end of a silence? it looked like this simple format was used at the stoke chelsea game for example,

seems the confusion was caused by two pieces of playing(i cant remember what we have done in the past,just the last post or two pieces of playing),half the people around us were clapping and the other half were not and looked confused as to why others were

anyway, no harm or disrespect was done,just accidental clapping during the bit that was earmarked/supposed to be for the traditional silent reflection

will put on the report card "top marks for everyone but still room for improvement"

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
don’t these things usually involve just the last post and a referees whistle whether at the beginning or the end of a silence? it looked like this simple format was used at the stoke chelsea game for example,

seems the confusion was caused by two pieces of playing(i cant remember what we have done in the past,just the last post or two pieces of playing),half the people around us were clapping and the other half were not and looked confused as to why others were

anyway, no harm or disrespect was done,just accidental clapping during the bit that was earmarked/supposed to be for the traditional silent reflection

will put on the report card "top marks for everyone but still room for improvement"

Probably the most sensible post on here. I wasn't there, listened to the radio, and was a bit confused myself as was waiting for the ref to blow his whistle. Thought the clapping sounded accidental, as in people were applauding the music. Oh well. No disrespect intended eh?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Its because it's an important issue, and MOST people would , I believe, want to get it right.

Pretty much this.
Not everyone wears a poppy,and no one should be forced to by pressure from others,this should be a personal decision.

There has however been a huge upsurge over the past few years amongst the populace of coming together and at a given time and wishing to pay their respects in silent reflection.I think everyone would like to as you say get it right.

dont think there is a wrong way per say......but in this one instance "silent" reflection should ideally be that.......the silence is a very powerful act to not only remember the fallen but to strive also for that madness to never happen again.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Exactly. No disrespect was intended at all, which is surely the main thing. Perhaps the playing of two tunes confused matters but it really is not something to worry about.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I found it a bit confusing but joined in with the applause when I saw players, officials and nearly everybody doing the same, It didn't detract from the moment for me though and I done plenty of thinking during the sounding of the last post.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Young Chap north west corner stated the clapping I think it was to show appreciation for the very good Salvation Army musicians, I do not think for a moment it was done with any intention of disrespect and he did look embarrassed after when his friends pointed out he had started clapping at the most inappropriate moment.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I think the format was confusing and since when has applause been disrespectful?

It's invariably used when we remember ex-players and fans at matches. Should we change that too? I know it's traditional on Remembrance Day but it's only once a year and we're not all OAPs who've done this fifty years plus (p.s. I'm an OAP myself.....!).

And by the way, let's get another club song. The tune is rubbish and the lyrics don't scan.....!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here