Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] mental health - advice if possible please

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
That didn’t last long - blue lighted to hospital on Saturday with stomach pains and vomiting sent home Sunday with no treatment- then re-admitted Monday morning at 6:am - finally had a ultra sound - gallbladder infection and stones and have developed some nasty neurological issues too including impaired vision and loss of balance 🙄 Hey ho - at least it’s not Lewisham and I will not let this get me down and the above comments from lovely NSCers will help me to stay out of the rabbit hole 🙂

There is no tv here and I have no iPad so will probably not see the match tonight 🙁
Oh boy, bad luck. Try and stay positive and keep your spirits up. Remember you have friends on Nsc rooting for you. Take care Zeberdi

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I understand pretty much all of that opening post. Part of the reason I gave up my ST last year although there were other factors

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Not sure any words from me are going to help, but jeez you've been through the wringer. Hang in there and 'take the positives' as they say, which I accept must be extremely hard in your case so just remember - at least you're not a Palace fan!

All the best.
All kind words help - of course they do and yes, at least I’m not a Palace fan 😍

Still going through ringer - had what looked like a detached retina last night - was rushed to the hospital eye clinic this afternoon- apparently vitreous gel has come away from my retina and burst a blood vessel blurring my vision and causing flashes and floaters. Now have to monitor for two weeks then go back to eye surgeon- - Covid, Gallbladder disease and a serious eye condition all within the space of 3 weeks is a record even for me 😂 Gonna spend the Easter weekend in hospital but am totally ok with that - nothing will ever ever be as bad as Lewisham 😳

A few minutes ago, 3 way conversation going on on the Ward between a Leeds supporter, a couple of Liverpool supporters and a Hammers supporter - as soon as I jumped in and said I was a Brighton supporter, the Leeds and WestHam supporter froze me out but I had a lovely chat with the Red comparing Klippity with de Zerbi - we spoke a similar language -
Beautiful, wonderful football permeates life wherever you are and whenever you need it to 😀

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Rude of the Leeds and West Ham fans! Shows to an extent that we've 'arrived' and have pushed them down the pecking order - let's hope permanently! (Although being a Brighton fan since the 1960s I of course expect all this to end soon). Certainly you don't hear #teamslikebrighton so much, except perhaps in an envious sense.

Anyway, hope today's a good one for you.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Just wondering is anyone has done or knows about Schema Therapy? I think it's some kind of offshoot of CBT, but just trying to get my head around it.

I signed myself off work the other day, just had a huge anxiety attack heading into work, turned round and went home. The Doc signed me off for two weeks and has given me a few local counselling resources to look into and I've contacted them, but after going through her list of mental health questions, she talked about my need for routines in life. I'd never really thought about it, but have done a lot of thinking over this last 24 hours and I think she's right. A lot of my anxiety, frustrations, stress is when short term, random interruptions are occurring to both my daily home routine and my daily work routine. I've done a lot of writing down of these in a journal, what frustrates me, what angers me, what I struggle with, what makes me anxious, including positives as well, and there is a picture/pattern forming. The Doc suggested Schema therapy might be really good for me, but I'm struggling to get my noggin around it. Any help?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
On another thread earlier I gave the reasons why I wasn't travelling Sunday. I thought it better to finish the conversation on this thread with a post of huge gratitude to some folks in NSC. I have been open about anxiety issues in this thread previously as those who struggle with all sorts of mental health issues find it, to use the modern term, a safe space. Such a moniker may seem somehow puzzling to any frequenter of a football forum but, for all its bluster (and I do bluster well), NSC has proved to be a haven for many folk who seek clarity, advice and in recent times, help with life issues.

Whilst in my admissions (probably not the right word) I wasn't seeking sympathy, a number of folk sent private messages that have given me much hope, splendid advice and offer of support. These have been appreciated by every ounce of my heart. I was surprised to hear that there were others who are, or were, in the same boat. Their goal was not to trump anything I am experiencing, but simply to tell me how they cope, how they believe I may able to cope, and offer help. They didn't have to spend that time, but they chose to, for me. And it means a lot.

So I want to say thank you, and re-iterate what an excellent space this is for those who want to share their difficulties. We're all on the same journey in life, where we just want to be happy and free from worry. For all of us here we make that journey with the same blue and white scarf on. Which gives a sense of unity. And I felt some of that unity today. Thank you.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
These mental health threads are doing many of us a power of good - whether talking us down, talking us up, providing another perspective, or just giving people the message that they are not alone. All conducted in a non-judgmental way.

I can't speak highly enough of them. This forum is going from strength to strength.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
On another thread earlier I gave the reasons why I wasn't travelling Sunday. I thought it better to finish the conversation on this thread with a post of huge gratitude to some folks in NSC. I have been open about anxiety issues in this thread previously as those who struggle with all sorts of mental health issues find it, to use the modern term, a safe space. Such a moniker may seem somehow puzzling to any frequenter of a football forum but, for all its bluster (and I do bluster well), NSC has proved to be a haven for many folk who seek clarity, advice and in recent times, help with life issues.

Whilst in my admissions (probably not the right word) I wasn't seeking sympathy, a number of folk sent private messages that have given me much hope, splendid advice and offer of support. These have been appreciated by every ounce of my heart. I was surprised to hear that there were others who are, or were, in the same boat. Their goal was not to trump anything I am experiencing, but simply to tell me how they cope, how they believe I may able to cope, and offer help. They didn't have to spend that time, but they chose to, for me. And it means a lot.

So I want to say thank you, and re-iterate what an excellent space this is for those who want to share their difficulties. We're all on the same journey in life, where we just want to be happy and free from worry. For all of us here we make that journey with the same blue and white scarf on. Which gives a sense of unity. And I felt some of that unity today. Thank you.
I don't know how to express this without it sounding clumsy but I found your post in the other thread, and this one I'm replying to, to be quite comforting.

Like you I struggle with this anxiety and it's gotten worse since the pandemic. I'm currently going on Sunday but it's a fine line I'm treading and I don't know, come Sunday morning, if I'll be there or not.

But in a weird way knowing that I'm not alone iand that you're not alone and that none of the others who've contacted you are alone in dealing with this is nice to know.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

Little steps, it's easier to climb a 30ft ladder with rungs a foot apart, than a 30ft ladder with rungs 5ft apart.
Knowing people are climbing a similar ladder next to you, is a lot less stressful than thinking you're the only one trying to climb a ladder. People will hold the ladder at the bottom for everyone on here.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Finally home today after 28 days in hospital (22 consecutive) - and several, albeit slightly unhealthy, kilos lighter! 🙂

Thank you again all those that commented on this thread in response to my earlier posts offering support and words of encouragement- I have dipped back in to read the comments several times over the past few weeks when life as a longterm inpatient presented some very challenging moments- struggling initially with being in isolation for 6 days in a Covid ward in London then immediately after that, back in my local hospital coping with severe pain and constant nausea from an acute gallbladder infection, relying on crutches to even get to the loo due to a flare up of autoimmune conditions, relying on nebulisers and oxygen just to breathe due to uncontrollable asthma and lung and kidney damage from Covid and finally to top it all, the ongoing danger of loosing my sight in one eye - at times, the constant fatigue, pain and frustration threatened to overwhelm me. The road to recovery will not ever be a complete one nor will it be a quick and easy one - I still have to go back into hospital next month for surgery - I just hope it can be scheduled around Southampton game as that will be one of the few live matches this season that i can attend.

Lots of reciprocal love and encouragement to all those NSCers who for whatever reason are struggling emotionally or those NSCers who have loved ones at home who are struggling and therefore need a bit of back up support themselves from fellow NSCers at the moment (who may even be experiencing similar life challenging times).

Let us be proud that our capacity to empathise and encourage fellow NSCers can always help others, even those who don’t directly participate in this thread or any other MH thread but nonetheless but may be lurking and suffering in ’silence’ and getting some encouragement just reading the comments other NSCers have posted both as posters giving support and needing it.

As @BBassic says above, we are not alone …

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Finally home today after 28 days in hospital (22 consecutive) - and several, albeit slightly unhealthy, kilos lighter! 🙂

Thank you again all those that commented on this thread in response to my earlier posts offering support and words of encouragement- I have dipped back in to read the comments several times over the past few weeks when life as a longterm inpatient presented some very challenging moments- struggling initially with being in isolation for 6 days in a Covid ward in London then immediately after that, back in my local hospital coping with severe pain and constant nausea from an acute gallbladder infection, relying on crutches to even get to the loo due to a flare up of autoimmune conditions, relying on nebulisers and oxygen just to breathe due to uncontrollable asthma and lung and kidney damage from Covid and finally to top it all, the ongoing danger of loosing my sight in one eye - at times, the constant fatigue, pain and frustration threatened to overwhelm me. The road to recovery will not ever be a complete one nor will it be a quick and easy one - I still have to go back into hospital next month for surgery - I just hope it can be scheduled around Southampton game as that will be one of the few live matches this season that i can attend.

Lots of reciprocal love and encouragement to all those NSCers who for whatever reason are struggling emotionally or those NSCers who have loved ones at home who are struggling and therefore need a bit of back up support themselves from fellow NSCers at the moment (who may even be experiencing similar life challenging times).

Let us be proud that our capacity to empathise and encourage fellow NSCers can always help others, even those who don’t directly participate in this thread or any other MH thread but nonetheless but may be lurking and suffering in ’silence’ and getting some encouragement just reading the comments other NSCers have posted both as posters giving support and needing it.

As @BBassic says above, we are not alone …
Blimey, what a story. I consider myself to be reasonably healthy but after reading this I consider myself to be extremely lucky. Thanks for sharing and good wishes for a steady improvement and recovery. Hope the Albion continues to do its bit.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Z, sorry to hear this, we join the battle with you. If you ARE suffering a detached retina, then it really does require surgery very quickly indeed. I suffered this myself 6 years ago, lost the sight in one eye temporarily, but the genius people at John Radcliffe Oxford saved me. The procedure to draw some vitreous jelly from the affected eye, and replace it temporarily with a high pressure gas bubble sounds horrendous, but it works. The detached retina is effectively like a piece of damp wallpaper that is peeling away from a wall, and it has to be reattached quickly before connective cells die. The high pressure gas bubble has more resilience than vitreous jelly, and over about 10 days has the strength to push and hold the retina back into its correct position, reattaching the cells to the retina. And over that period, the gas bubble itself miraculously converts itself to vitreous jelly. Whoever conceived this procedure is part doctor death and part absolute genius, because it restored my sight in the affected eye, and that eye is now my strong eye. So, there is a procedure to resolve this, but you really really MUST fight for a very quick referral indeed, and get this resolved. The key symptom for me was a shower of black dots, not a single or a few floaters, but an eye full almost like a swarm of flying black ants. I wish you all the best, and if you wish to PM me for support and advice as you go through, then by all means do.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Blimey, what a story. I consider myself to be reasonably healthy but after reading this I consider myself to be extremely lucky. Thanks for sharing and good wishes for a steady improvement and recovery. Hope the Albion continues to do its bit.
Thanks Timbha

Albion definitely doing it’s bit - getting to the Man U match last week - the first time I’d got to a live match in weeks, was an incredible tonic and got me literally out of my sick bed slump - unfortunately since then, echocardiogram results now diagnosed me with thoracic aortic aneurysms/root/arch and descending aortic aneurysm on top of everything else so waiting for cardiology referral for way forward depending on their size. Also just diagnosed with Stage 2 Kidney disease (didn’t even know I had stage 1!) and still waiting for gallbladder surgery so a way to go yet and feeling pretty shitty physically still but hopefully all manageable with treatment/surgery. The heart problem is the scary one tbh especially given I am not particularly old!

Have also now been referred to a ‘Post-Covid Team’ - (whatever that is 🙄)
The key symptom for me was a shower of black dots, not a single or a few floaters, but an eye full almost like a swarm of flying black ants.
That’s exactly what I had plus flashing lights etc - was opening a packet of sandwiches in the hospital on one ‘episode’ and dropped them in fright as a ‘swarm of black flies’ flew out of them! I have had several episodes - but eye doctor after the first episode said it hadnt detached. I am seeing eye surgeon again tomorrow though. The dark concentrated blob in the middle of my eye, along with all the dots (which have faded a bit) is making it like I’m looking through a dirty window.

Must admit, Everton’s win on Monday left me feeling a bit slumped again after a great week last week (as I’m sure it did lots of fans) - not only because of the loss but because, based on the struggle I had to get down to the Amex for the Man U, I also realised there is no way I am going to be strong enough to make another game this season. However, I am trying to be motivated by the possibility of getting to matches next season and also getting back to work asap - doing a job which I love - was supposed to be doing a training course that includes fieldwork this weekend but had to pull out and confine participation to the Zoom and office based part of the course - won’t be able to make the pub dinner either with the rest of the participants because I cant eat anything on the menu - so all a bit frustrating tbh!

For everyone else struggling emotionally/mentally on NSC - I saw this on the Brighton website
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...hes-inside-matters-mental-wellbeing-campaign/ Launched in 2020 -

‘All Premier League fixtures from 6 to 15 May will be dedicated to the Inside Matters campaign, as the League and clubs reinforce their commitment to supporting the mental wellbeing of players, fans and those in communities.

Anyone experiencing anxiety can text the word 'TeamTalk' to 85258 to be connected with around-the-clock support from trained volunteers, supervised and supported in real time by an expert clinical team.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
You are having an incredibly tough run. I’m sure thousands on here are supporting you. You’re in the best hands.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Thanks Timbha

Albion definitely doing it’s bit - getting to the Man U match last week - the first time I’d got to a live match in weeks, was an incredible tonic and got me literally out of my sick bed slump - unfortunately since then, echocardiogram results now diagnosed me with thoracic aortic aneurysms/root/arch and descending aortic aneurysm on top of everything else so waiting for cardiology referral for way forward depending on their size. Also just diagnosed with Stage 2 Kidney disease (didn’t even know I had stage 1!) and still waiting for gallbladder surgery so a way to go yet and feeling pretty shitty physically still but hopefully all manageable with treatment/surgery. The heart problem is the scary one tbh especially given I am not particularly old!

Have also now been referred to a ‘Post-Covid Team’ - (whatever that is 🙄)

That’s exactly what I had plus flashing lights etc - was opening a packet of sandwiches in the hospital on one ‘episode’ and dropped them in fright as a ‘swarm of black flies’ flew out of them! I have had several episodes - but eye doctor after the first episode said it hadnt detached. I am seeing eye surgeon again tomorrow though. The dark concentrated blob in the middle of my eye, along with all the dots (which have faded a bit) is making it like I’m looking through a dirty window.

Must admit, Everton’s win on Monday left me feeling a bit slumped again after a great week last week (as I’m sure it did lots of fans) - not only because of the loss but because, based on the struggle I had to get down to the Amex for the Man U, I also realised there is no way I am going to be strong enough to make another game this season. However, I am trying to be motivated by the possibility of getting to matches next season and also getting back to work asap - doing a job which I love - was supposed to be doing a training course that includes fieldwork this weekend but had to pull out and confine participation to the Zoom and office based part of the course - won’t be able to make the pub dinner either with the rest of the participants because I cant eat anything on the menu - so all a bit frustrating tbh!

For everyone else struggling emotionally/mentally on NSC - I saw this on the Brighton website
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...hes-inside-matters-mental-wellbeing-campaign/ Launched in 2020 -

‘All Premier League fixtures from 6 to 15 May will be dedicated to the Inside Matters campaign, as the League and clubs reinforce their commitment to supporting the mental wellbeing of players, fans and those in communities.

Anyone experiencing anxiety can text the word 'TeamTalk' to 85258 to be connected with around-the-clock support from trained volunteers, supervised and supported in real time by an expert clinical team.

Hi Z,
What a really tough time you are having, I do hope everything goes well for you with the medical treatment you are facing.
Your mention of Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms caught my eye as I am due to be operated on at the RSCH for an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, hopefully, in the very near future, as it is now of operable size.
Anyway, good luck, I know you will be in the thoughts of all your fellow NSC’ers.👍

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hi Z,
What a really tough time you are having, I do hope everything goes well for you with the medical treatment you are facing.
Your mention of Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms caught my eye as I am due to be operated on at the RSCH for an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, hopefully, in the very near future, as it is now of operable size.
Anyway, good luck, I know you will be in the thoughts of all your fellow NSC’ers.👍
The aortic aneurism is fixable by surgery, and symptoms of heart failure (and poor renal function) are very likely to diminish after the aneurism fix so there is hope @Zeberdi

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Hi Z …
Thanks for your kind words BF

Likewise, I wish you all the best from the bottom of my heart that your AAA surgery is asap and goes well. Waiting for surgery can be an anxious time 🫤

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just about to try to stream the Man City match - again from a hospital bed but just been told I need an emergency op now to to remove my gallbladder - bizarrely it’s gone from an ultrasound yesterday when it looked ok apparently to the results of a CT tonight saying infection spreading out of control and it needs to come out immediately 🤷🏻‍♂️

Any nice thoughts appreciated - kind of shitting bricks a bit as all family/friends in london.

And well ..

Enjoy the football, I shall!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Just about to try to stream the Man City match - again from a hospital bed but just been told I need an emergency op now to to remove my gallbladder - bizarrely it’s gone from an ultrasound yesterday when it looked ok apparently to the results of a CT tonight saying infection spreading out of control and it needs to come out immediately 🤷🏻‍♂️

Any nice thoughts appreciated - kind of shitting bricks a bit as all family/friends in london.

And well ..

Enjoy the football, I shall!
I hope the first half has cheered you up. Good luck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here